Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Are future versions of asp.net now only in C#?

Are future versions of asp.net now only in C#?

COHENMARVIN@lycos.com

I was told that the future versions of asp.net will only support C#,
and not Visual Basic. Is this true?
Thanks,
Marvin

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I have heard nothing of the sort. If you have a cite, post it. If it is from
someone on the ASP.NET team, it would be worth being concerned about.
Otherwise, it is probably just someone blowing smoke.

Consdering web work is a prime use of Visual Studio and VB is still a
popular language, it would be a stupid move IMO. Of course, I have not seen
the latest stats, so maybe there is evidence more than 90% of the people are
using C# in web work. I doubt it, but I would not fret until the stats
warrant fretting. While Microsoft may make some mistakes, they generally
will not shoot themselves in the foot to the extent people have told you.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:

| Think outside the box! |
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was told that the future versions of asp.net will only support C#,
> and not Visual Basic. Is this true?
> Thanks,
> Marvin

bruce barker

no. In fact future versions of .net should better support more dynamic
languages like python & ruby (isome of the newer features will only be useful
in these languages).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> I was told that the future versions of asp.net will only support C#,
> and not Visual Basic. Is this true?
> Thanks,
> Marvin

Hillbilly

Some of us could only wish (contentiously) but quite frankly those who stuck
to VB rather than adapt and move forward would cry and stomp their feet on
the floor as they have a history of doing. Actually, you should be more
concerned about two new languages under development, F# and D.

VB.NET was and remains developed using C# but apparently even C# was not
designed to support high performance computing supporting multi-core
parallel processing platforms that are now emerging. Hence new languages
such as F# and D.

So we are all in for new challenges which demand change but the VB
developers? They simply do not want mommy to take the bib off so it will be
very interesting to see how the future plays out with the real demands
programming languages are now being compelled to cope with.