Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > NVidia 178.13's are out

NVidia 178.13's are out

Carlos

A new set of NVidia drivers is available for GeForce 6-series, 7-series,
8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, with PhysX support
Vista x64
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...8.13_whql.html
Carlos

Don

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A new set of NVidia drivers is available for GeForce 6-series, 7-series,
> 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, with PhysX support
> Vista x64
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...8.13_whql.html
> Carlos

Thanks for the heads up Carlos!

Not sure I quite understand, this PhysX support thing, but I guess that
doesn't really matter.

--
Don

Carlos

A while back, a company named Ageia introduced an add-in (additional) card
for processing the physics parts of the games, thus freeing the videocard GPU
from that task and allowing for more realistics effects.
Later on (guess what!), Nvidia bought (swallowed) Ageia and added that
know-how in their drivers by using spare capacity of their GPU's.
That's "PhysX" more or less: If you have a qualifying NVidia card you get
PhysX as a bonus.
Carlos

"Don" wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > A new set of NVidia drivers is available for GeForce 6-series, 7-series,
> > 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, with PhysX support
> > Vista x64
> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...8.13_whql.html
> > Carlos

> Thanks for the heads up Carlos!
>
> Not sure I quite understand, this PhysX support thing, but I guess that
> doesn't really matter.
>

> --
> Don

Don

Interesting,

So I have an 8800 GTS, does the program, have to be written to take
advantage of this aspect? Or does it benefit most all d3d programs/games?

Thanks for the info!

--
Don

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A while back, a company named Ageia introduced an add-in (additional) card
> for processing the physics parts of the games, thus freeing the videocard
> GPU
> from that task and allowing for more realistics effects.
> Later on (guess what!), Nvidia bought (swallowed) Ageia and added that
> know-how in their drivers by using spare capacity of their GPU's.
> That's "PhysX" more or less: If you have a qualifying NVidia card you get
> PhysX as a bonus.
> Carlos
>
> "Don" wrote:

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > A new set of NVidia drivers is available for GeForce 6-series,
>> > 7-series,
>> > 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, with PhysX support
>> > Vista x64
>> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...8.13_whql.html
>> > Carlos

>> Thanks for the heads up Carlos!
>>
>> Not sure I quite understand, this PhysX support thing, but I guess that
>> doesn't really matter.
>>

>> --
>> Don

Carlos

Don,
The program has to be written to take advantage of those features.
Your 8800GTS qualifies for PhysX.
Carlos

"Don" wrote:

> Interesting,
>
> So I have an 8800 GTS, does the program, have to be written to take
> advantage of this aspect? Or does it benefit most all d3d programs/games?
>

> Thanks for the info!
>

> --
> Don

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > A while back, a company named Ageia introduced an add-in (additional) card
> > for processing the physics parts of the games, thus freeing the videocard
> > GPU
> > from that task and allowing for more realistics effects.
> > Later on (guess what!), Nvidia bought (swallowed) Ageia and added that
> > know-how in their drivers by using spare capacity of their GPU's.
> > That's "PhysX" more or less: If you have a qualifying NVidia card you get
> > PhysX as a bonus.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Don" wrote:
> >

> >> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>

> >> Thanks for the heads up Carlos!
> >>
> >> Not sure I quite understand, this PhysX support thing, but I guess that
> >> doesn't really matter.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Don

Don

Thanks Carlos, now I have a better understanding.

--
Don

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don,
> The program has to be written to take advantage of those features.
> Your 8800GTS qualifies for PhysX.
> Carlos
>
> "Don" wrote:
>
>> Interesting,
>>
>> So I have an 8800 GTS, does the program, have to be written to take
>> advantage of this aspect? Or does it benefit most all d3d programs/games?
>>

>> Thanks for the info!
>>

>> --
>> Don

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > A while back, a company named Ageia introduced an add-in (additional)
>> > card
>> > for processing the physics parts of the games, thus freeing the
>> > videocard
>> > GPU
>> > from that task and allowing for more realistics effects.
>> > Later on (guess what!), Nvidia bought (swallowed) Ageia and added that
>> > know-how in their drivers by using spare capacity of their GPU's.
>> > That's "PhysX" more or less: If you have a qualifying NVidia card you
>> > get
>> > PhysX as a bonus.
>> > Carlos

Carlos

Don,
You will find PhysX patches for some popular games and free demos here:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/forcew...s/download.asp
Carlos