Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Trouble using windows to config my wireless connection properties

Trouble using windows to config my wireless connection properties

Dave M

Hi all. I'm using Windows XPpro SP2, updated recently with SP3, tho the
problem started before the update. I've recently performed a system reboot
on my laptop to cure issues with speed. Once windows had been reinstalled all
was fine except that I could not get my internal wireless adpt to connect to
my hub. I discovered that the check box to allow " windows to configure my
wireless network settings" was unchecked, so i checked it and it allows me to
connect. But whenever the adaptor is disabled or the laptop switched off etc,
it restores the box to the unchecked state. As far as i know i don't have any
other config systems installed as everything was uninstalled when the reboot
was done, and only the operating system CD has been reloaded? Please help,
this is mighty frustrating for a novice!...

Smirnoff

"Dave M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all. I'm using Windows XPpro SP2, updated recently with SP3, tho
> the
> problem started before the update. I've recently performed a system
> reboot
> on my laptop to cure issues with speed. Once windows had been
> reinstalled all
> was fine except that I could not get my internal wireless adpt to
> connect to
> my hub. I discovered that the check box to allow " windows to
> configure my
> wireless network settings" was unchecked, so i checked it and it
> allows me to
> connect. But whenever the adaptor is disabled or the laptop switched
> off etc,
> it restores the box to the unchecked state. As far as i know i don't
> have any
> other config systems installed as everything was uninstalled when the
> reboot
> was done, and only the operating system CD has been reloaded? Please
> help,
> this is mighty frustrating for a novice!...

A couple of possibilities.

It could be that your wireless card utility program is still trying to
control your connection and conflicting with Windows. See if there is an
option to remove it as a default or start up option.

When you select "Allow Windows to configure my wireless network
settings", it starts WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration). Possibly WZC is
set to "manual" or "disabled".

Right click "My Computer">Manage. Click on "Services and Applications"
in the left panel, double click "Services" in the right hand panel.
Scroll down to WZC and right click>Properties.

Using the pull down menu, select "Automatic">Apply>OK.

Dave M

Thankyou for the response. As it turned out, when I reinstalled XP, I'd also
installed the Broadcom Wireless Utility as part of the wireless driver pack,
thinking i needed it to setup my connection, d'oh! Once removed, all is ok.
Many thanks for your help tho, I may be back!!

Dave M

"Smirnoff" wrote:

> "Dave M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all. I'm using Windows XPpro SP2, updated recently with SP3, tho
> > the
> > problem started before the update. I've recently performed a system
> > reboot
> > on my laptop to cure issues with speed. Once windows had been
> > reinstalled all
> > was fine except that I could not get my internal wireless adpt to
> > connect to
> > my hub. I discovered that the check box to allow " windows to
> > configure my
> > wireless network settings" was unchecked, so i checked it and it
> > allows me to
> > connect. But whenever the adaptor is disabled or the laptop switched
> > off etc,
> > it restores the box to the unchecked state. As far as i know i don't
> > have any
> > other config systems installed as everything was uninstalled when the
> > reboot
> > was done, and only the operating system CD has been reloaded? Please
> > help,
> > this is mighty frustrating for a novice!...

> A couple of possibilities.
>
> It could be that your wireless card utility program is still trying to
> control your connection and conflicting with Windows. See if there is an
> option to remove it as a default or start up option.
>
> When you select "Allow Windows to configure my wireless network
> settings", it starts WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration). Possibly WZC is
> set to "manual" or "disabled".
>
> Right click "My Computer">Manage. Click on "Services and Applications"
> in the left panel, double click "Services" in the right hand panel.
> Scroll down to WZC and right click>Properties.
>
> Using the pull down menu, select "Automatic">Apply>OK.

Smirnoff

You're welcome. Glad it's sorted.