Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Test URL to see if it is still valid

Test URL to see if it is still valid

teddysnips@hotmail.com

Part of my current ASP.NET project involves storing URLs. At the time
of storage, they are checked for correctness (i.e. a new window or tab
is spawned and the user clicks "Good" or "Bad" depending on whether
the new window shows the correct site. However, when the user wishes
to return to that URL at a later date, is there any way of automating
the process of checking if it is still a good link - i.e. that it
won't 404 - without actually opening it in a browser window and asking
the user to validate it. I realise that the content may have changed,
but I'm more concerned at this stage that the link hasn't broken.

Thanks

Edward

teddysnips@hotmail.com

On Sep 25, 2:18*pm, "Aidy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Part of my current ASP.NET project involves storing URLs. *At the time
> > of storage, they are checked for correctness (i.e. a new window or tab
> > is spawned and the user clicks "Good" or "Bad" depending on whether
> > the new window shows the correct site. *However, when the user wishes
> > to return to that URL at a later date, is there any way of automating
> > the process of checking if it is still a good link - i.e. that it
> > won't 404 - without actually opening it in a browser window and asking
> > the user to validate it. *I realise that the content may have changed,
> > but I'm more concerned at this stage that the link hasn't broken.

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ebrequest.aspx
>
> You want to see the status of the response to ensure it is 200 which means
> OK, 404 means missing etc.

Thanks Andy, that looks like a plan!

Edward