Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > desktop wireless problems

desktop wireless problems

Jake

I am trying to add a USB wireless adapter to a new desktop running XP Pro
and have failed repeatedly. I returned a Belkin as support was unable to
assist. I now have Linksys RangPlus but have the same failure to connect to
Internet. Everything seems to be set up right as I have repeated the install
process many times. I can connect to other computers on the LAN but not
outside. It says I am connected and I can see others in the nearby area as
with laptop. This is a new System that has not been used yet so I am not
expecting a virus. I have never downloaded anything yet. I have not
installed any new applications other than AVG which I have removed. I turned
off firewall but have run out of things to try. I was hoping someone might
have ideas of what I might try.

Thanks.

Jake.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Can you ping a public IP address like 4.2.2.1? Or posting the result of
ipconfig /all may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Jake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to add a USB wireless adapter to a new desktop running XP Pro
>and have failed repeatedly. I returned a Belkin as support was unable to
>assist. I now have Linksys RangPlus but have the same failure to connect to
>Internet. Everything seems to be set up right as I have repeated the
>install process many times. I can connect to other computers on the LAN but
>not outside. It says I am connected and I can see others in the nearby area
>as with laptop. This is a new System that has not been used yet so I am not
>expecting a virus. I have never downloaded anything yet. I have not
>installed any new applications other than AVG which I have removed. I
>turned off firewall but have run out of things to try. I was hoping someone
>might have ideas of what I might try.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jake.

Jake

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Can you ping a public IP address like 4.2.2.1? Or posting the result
> of ipconfig /all may help.

I am unable to get any response from a ping of any location.

ipconfig reports:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix BELKIN
IP Address 192.168.2.7
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.2.1

>> I am trying to add a USB wireless adapter to a new desktop running
>> XP Pro and have failed repeatedly. I returned a Belkin as support
>> was unable to assist. I now have Linksys RangPlus but have the same
>> failure to connect to Internet. Everything seems to be set up right
>> as I have repeated the install process many times. I can connect to
>> other computers on the LAN but not outside. It says I am connected
>> and I can see others in the nearby area as with laptop. This is a
>> new System that has not been used yet so I am not expecting a virus.
>> I have never downloaded anything yet. I have not installed any new
>> applications other than AVG which I have removed. I turned off
>> firewall but have run out of things to try. I was hoping someone
>> might have ideas of what I might try. Thanks.
>>
>> Jake.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

If starting the computer with clean boot, can you ping?
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Jake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Can you ping a public IP address like 4.2.2.1? Or posting the result
>> of ipconfig /all may help.
>>

> I am unable to get any response from a ping of any location.
>
> ipconfig reports:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix BELKIN
> IP Address 192.168.2.7
> Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway 192.168.2.1
>

>>> I am trying to add a USB wireless adapter to a new desktop running
>>> XP Pro and have failed repeatedly. I returned a Belkin as support
>>> was unable to assist. I now have Linksys RangPlus but have the same
>>> failure to connect to Internet. Everything seems to be set up right
>>> as I have repeated the install process many times. I can connect to
>>> other computers on the LAN but not outside. It says I am connected
>>> and I can see others in the nearby area as with laptop. This is a
>>> new System that has not been used yet so I am not expecting a virus.
>>> I have never downloaded anything yet. I have not installed any new
>>> applications other than AVG which I have removed. I turned off
>>> firewall but have run out of things to try. I was hoping someone
>>> might have ideas of what I might try. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jake.

Jake

Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
> If starting the computer with clean boot, can you ping?
> Windows general
> How to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to Run Windows
> Safe Mode with Networking How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to
> sort programs in Start ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

Thanks for a very helpful link Robert. I ran msconfig exactly as suggested
and now I have the wireless connection. However I have no idea what has
changed. I simply restored it to Normal Startup and that did it.

>> Robert L. (MS-MVP) wrote:
>>> Can you ping a public IP address like 4.2.2.1? Or posting the result
>>> of ipconfig /all may help.
>>>

>> I am unable to get any response from a ping of any location.
>>
>> ipconfig reports:
>>
>> Connection-specific DNS Suffix BELKIN
>> IP Address 192.168.2.7
>> Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0