Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Cell phone question - Blackberry

Re: Cell phone question - Blackberry

Evan Platt

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:22:54 -0500, Sarah Houston
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm asking this here because I don't know of any cell phone group, and
>figure you all might know anyway, and besides this is about memory.
>
>My contract was up with Qwest so we went over to T-Mobile again and got
>a Blackberry 8100 Red Pearl. ( very pretty! )
>
>My first Blackberry.
>
>Needless to say, the manuals are lacking.
>
>Ok, I put the SIM card in that comes with it. ( they call it a SIM card
>but I thought SIM meant Single Inline Module and this is a flat chip
>pack ).

SIM for cell phones - GSM at least, is a Subscriber Identity Module.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_Identity_Module
It stores things such as your phonebook entries, and is also your
"account" - if you take that SIM into another phone, it then becomes
your phone.

>Then the battery, charged it, and have been using it for the cell phone
>part. Very nice.
>
>But I want to store some MP3's in there as ringtones now.
>
>They have some info at
>http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase...23321.htm#view
>
>It appears that this "SIM" they give you, IS the memory chip, but they
>don't say how much memory it holds, nor do I see a way to find out,
>though they DO have a way to see how much space the stuff stored in
>there is using.

No, it's not. You can use the limited built in memory on the phone, or
purchase a micro SD card...

>It's a TM9035 SIM that they give you.
>
>Now when they say that you can add memory, is it this card that's the
>same as the "Micro SD card" they talk about?

That's the memory.

>This is why I'm confused.

Moving images from computer to memory card:
http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase...3321.htm#move5

>I need to find out how much is in there, before even knowing if I need
>more.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1053
Memory 64 MB (built-in, flash shared memory)