Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > stereo, digital, fireworks photography

stereo, digital, fireworks photography

arpad

I'm back again looking for suggestions on digital cameras for doing
stereoscopic photography of fireworks.

I've been doing a bit of research and the requirements seem to come
down to a relative handful but there's so danged many digital cameras
out there I'm looking for suggestions about which camera would work.
Here are the requirements as I now understand them:

- tripod mount
- remote release
- a "fireworks" mode or preferably, manual control
- very close control of zoom

The last requirement just popped into my head but I think it is
crucial.

Turns out that for stereo about the only thing that can be different
between the two cameras is their location and even that has
limitations on it.

One of the things that has to be the same between both cameras is
focal length of the lenses. If the focal length is a trifle off the
stereo effect won't work. For that reason I'd like to use fixed-focus
lenses but that appears to be out of my price range which is currently
pegged at "cheap".

So if anyone's got thoughts on cameras they probably have to be a
couple of years old.

Thanks

Allen

Pat

On Sep 24, 3:45*pm, arpad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm back again looking for suggestions on digital cameras for doing
> stereoscopic photography of fireworks.
>
> I've been doing a bit of research and the requirements seem to come
> down to a relative handful but there's so danged many digital cameras
> out there I'm looking for suggestions about which camera would work.
> Here are the requirements as I now understand them:
>
> - tripod mount
> - remote release
> - a "fireworks" mode or preferably, manual control
> - very close control of zoom
>
> The last requirement just popped into my head but I think it is
> crucial.
>
> Turns out that for stereo about the only thing that can be different
> between the two cameras is their location and even that has
> limitations on it.
>
> One of the things that has to be the same between both cameras is
> focal length of the lenses. If the focal length is a trifle off the
> stereo effect won't work. For that reason I'd like to use fixed-focus
> lenses but that appears to be out of my price range which is currently
> pegged at "cheap".
>
> So if anyone's got thoughts on cameras they probably have to be a
> couple of years old.
>
> Thanks
>
> Allen

I think it would be a LOT simpler to just get a 3d lens for your
camera. Not only does the zoom have to be exactly the same (which you
could correct in post-processing if you needed to) but the exposure
would have to be at exactly the same time. The exposure would be a
harder trick. 1/10th of a second would be a HUGE difference.

Pat

On Sep 25, 5:17*am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
> Pat wrote:
> > On Sep 24, 3:45 pm, arpad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I'm back again looking for suggestions on digital cameras for doing
> >> stereoscopic photography of fireworks.

> .
> .
> .
>
> > I think it would be a LOT simpler to just get a 3d lens for your
> > camera.

> I had to google that, so for anyone as ignorant as me:
>
> http://www.berezin.com/3D/3d_lens.htm
>
> * *BugBear

I've never used their products, but Loreo is one of the bigger
brands. Good googling.