Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Connect to remote DataBase

Connect to remote DataBase

HRsoft Informática

Dear Friends
I'm new with asp.net.
I have a asp.net 2.0 application hosted in a ISP, that don't permit instal
of Firebird database.

I need this application to access a firebird database that is installed in a
Windows 2008 Server in another place, ie, in my local network.

This is for test only, but I intend to create this app to real clients that
has another win32 app that uses the database in local network

I created in No-IP a host, that redirect to 3050 port (used by firebird)
In the router I created a portforward to ip (machine) that has the firebird
and database instaled
I use the follow ConnectionString in web.config:

<add name="SilojaNetFB"
connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;d atabase=c:\silojaw\ibo\HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=ht tp://silojafb.no-ip.com;Port=3050;Dialect=3; "/>

When run the application, I get error.
Can you help me?

Thanks
--
Hércules
HRsoft Informática - Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I am not sure how Firebird works. In general, however, you cannot attach to
a file on a local drive remotely:
c:\silojaw\ibo\HRMERCADO.gdb

Based on what little I have found out there, it appears that your connection
string should be more like:

connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;d atabase=HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=http://silojafb.no-ip.com;Port=3050;Dialect=3;"

But I am not sure the DataSource is correct here. You may have to change to
IP address instead:

connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;d atabase=HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=10.0.0.2;Port=305 0;Dialect=3;"

Here is an excellent site to bookmark for when you are having problems with
connection strings:
http://www.connectionstrings.com/

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:

| Think outside the box! |
"HRsoft Informática" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Friends
> I'm new with asp.net.
> I have a asp.net 2.0 application hosted in a ISP, that don't permit instal
> of Firebird database.
>
> I need this application to access a firebird database that is installed in
> Windows 2008 Server in another place, ie, in my local network.
>
> This is for test only, but I intend to create this app to real clients
> that
> has another win32 app that uses the database in local network
>
> I created in No-IP a host, that redirect to 3050 port (used by firebird)
> In the router I created a portforward to ip (machine) that has the
> firebird
> and database instaled
> I use the follow ConnectionString in web.config:
>
> <add name="SilojaNetFB"
> connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;d atabase=c:\silojaw\ibo\HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=ht tp://silojafb.no-ip.com;Port=3050;Dialect=3;
> "/>
>
> When run the application, I get error.
> Can you help me?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Hércules
> HRsoft Informática - Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
> http://www.hrsoft.com.br

HRsoft Informática

Thank you for your response.
In local network, works ok.
But when the application try to connect with another network, via Internet,
not.
--

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" wrote:

> I am not sure how Firebird works. In general, however, you cannot attach to
> a file on a local drive remotely:
> c:\silojaw\ibo\HRMERCADO.gdb
>
> Based on what little I have found out there, it appears that your connection
> string should be more like:
>
> connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;d atabase=HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=http://silojafb.no-ip.com;Port=3050;Dialect=3;"
>
> But I am not sure the DataSource is correct here. You may have to change to
> IP address instead:
>
> connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;d atabase=HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=10.0.0.2;Port=305 0;Dialect=3;"
>
> Here is an excellent site to bookmark for when you are having problems with
> connection strings:
> http://www.connectionstrings.com/
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> Subscribe to my blog
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer#
>
> or just read it:
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer

> | Think outside the box! |
> "HRsoft Informática" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear Friends
> > I'm new with asp.net.
> > I have a asp.net 2.0 application hosted in a ISP, that don't permit instal
> > of Firebird database.
> >
> > I need this application to access a firebird database that is installed in
> > Windows 2008 Server in another place, ie, in my local network.
> >
> > This is for test only, but I intend to create this app to real clients
> > that
> > has another win32 app that uses the database in local network
> >
> > I created in No-IP a host, that redirect to 3050 port (used by firebird)
> > In the router I created a portforward to ip (machine) that has the
> > firebird
> > and database instaled
> > I use the follow ConnectionString in web.config:
> >
> > <add name="SilojaNetFB"
> > connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;d atabase=c:\silojaw\ibo\HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=ht tp://silojafb.no-ip.com;Port=3050;Dialect=3;
> > "/>
> >
> > When run the application, I get error.
> > Can you help me?
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Hércules
> > HRsoft Informática - Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
> > http://www.hrsoft.com.br

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

It could be a port is being filtered and the database cannot be reached. I
would look at the firewall on the database server side.