Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > need a new fan for a PCIx16 MSI geForce 6600GT card

need a new fan for a PCIx16 MSI geForce 6600GT card

JohnO

This think got so glugged up with dust that it destroyed the fan. I
have popped the fan/heatsink off the card and just need a new one -
any idea what/where to order?

Cheers
JohnO

JohnO

On Sep 24, 5:32*pm, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This think got so glugged up with dust that it destroyed the fan. I
> have popped the fan/heatsink off the card and just need a new one -
> any idea what/where to order?
>
> Cheers
> JohnO

Correction: need a new heatsink/fan for the card.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:19:28 +1200, OZZY Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:(E-Mail Removed) >:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:32:25 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This think got so glugged up with dust that it destroyed the fan. I
>>have popped the fan/heatsink off the card and just need a new one -
>>any idea what/where to order?
>>
>>Cheers
>>JohnO

> Lube the Fan that is all you need to do..

What, and leave the fan and heatsink all clogged up with gunge?

What a bloody dumb reply, Woger! But not unexpected.
You can be an unbelievably thick pill sometimes!

--
- Nic.

JohnO

On Sep 24, 6:19*pm, OZZY Boy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:32:25 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >This think got so glugged up with dust that it destroyed the fan. I
> >have popped the fan/heatsink off the card and just need a new one -
> >any idea what/where to order?

> >Cheers
> >JohnO

> Lube the Fan that is all you need to do..

Nah it was really poked. I think it ground to a halt (was absolutely
packed with dust) then burned out.

JohnO

On Sep 24, 5:34*pm, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> JohnO wrote:
> > On Sep 24, 5:32 pm, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> This think got so glugged up with dust that it destroyed the fan. I
> >> have popped the fan/heatsink off the card and just need a new one -
> >> any idea what/where to order?

> >> Cheers
> >> JohnO

> > Correction: need a new heatsink/fan for the card.

> $45...
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=356561
>
> is shown as compatible with a 6600GT.
>
> here are the install instructions...
>
> http://www.evercool.com.tw/install/instal_vcrhc.htm
>
> Looks pretty reasonable / straight forward to do.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Looks good - thanks for that.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:09:44 +1200, OZZY Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:(E-Mail Removed) >:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:35:34 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:19:28 +1200, OZZY Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>in <news:(E-Mail Removed) >:

>>> Lube the Fan that is all you need to do..

>>What, and leave the fan and heatsink all clogged up with gunge?
>>
>>What a bloody dumb reply, Woger! But not unexpected.
>>You can be an unbelievably thick pill sometimes!

> What a Idiot you are, I have done this many many times to lots of Fans and 3D card ones, don't
> comments on things that you just don't know about..

It is not I who is the idiot, bozodork - if you don't even have the
intelligence to read what I wrote then it is a waste of my valuable time
even trying to talk sense to you.

EOT

--
- Nic.

JohnO

On Sep 25, 9:39*am, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> JohnO wrote:
> > This think got so glugged up with dust that it destroyed the fan. I
> > have popped the fan/heatsink off the card and just need a new one -
> > any idea what/where to order?

> > Cheers
> > JohnO

> Do you need to have a 6600GT? you could pretty much get a slotin new
> card for about what you will spend on the new fan and get a 3 yr
> warrantee...
>
> This 8400GS is $64, should just slot in, so little risk or fiddling, it
> has a passive sink so no fan to fail....and has 3 yrs on it.
>
> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA06826
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Thanks for the tip. How does it compare to the 6600GT for performance?

Cheers
JohnO