Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > opinons wanted on menu

opinons wanted on menu

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I disable JS in FireFox 3, the menu rollovers stop working. I've
> tested this and verified it twice.

Not my experience on FF3. Are we talking the URL above? The one in which
it specifically claims:

[!-- *Note: This script is required for scripted add on support and IE 6
sub menu functionality.
*Note: This menu will fully function in all CSS2 browsers with the
script removed.--].

How many times should I *not* see what you see before my experience
trumps yours? <g>

--
dorayme

Sherm Pendley

dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> When I disable JS in FireFox 3, the menu rollovers stop working. I've
>> tested this and verified it twice.

> Not my experience on FF3. Are we talking the URL above?

Yes. On testing yet again, I think I see why you're getting different
results. When I go to the page with JS enabled, the rollovers
work. Then I disable JS *without reloading the page*, and they stop
working. This is true of all the browsers I tried - FF3, Safari 3, and
IE7.

But you're right too - if I do it the other way around, and (re)load
the page after disabling JS, the rollovers do work. I suspect a buggy
onload event handler alters the page in a way that makes it reliant on
JS from then on.

> How many times should I *not* see what you see before my experience
> trumps yours? <g>

I believe *you* - it's richard I have doubts about. It's hard to take
seriously someone who insists that black is white and up is down.

sherm--

--
My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> it's richard I have doubts about. It's hard to take
> seriously someone who insists that black is white and up is down.

Richard is quite an interesting case actually, he has this ... what can
we call it ... gift? Of being a sort of catalyst for discussions which
are not entirely without merit. He gets to be able to do this by not
being personally wounding to folks in spite of some provocation. Unlike
me, say...

There are truck drivers and truck drivers you see.

Of his occasional interlocutors, Andy Dingley is my favourite, he
combines sharp wit with no attempt to hide contempt. My God, this is an
excellent group.

<g>

--
dorayme

Blinky the Shark

Sherm Pendley wrote:

> I believe *you* - it's richard I have doubts about. It's hard to take
> seriously someone who insists that black is white and up is down.

Oceania is at war with Eurasia. Oceania has always been at war with
Eurasia.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Nik Coughlin

news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net...
> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
>> I believe *you* - it's richard I have doubts about. It's hard to take
>> seriously someone who insists that black is white and up is down.

> Oceania is at war with Eurasia. Oceania has always been at war with
> Eurasia.

Oceania is at war with Eastasia. Oceania has always been at war with
Eastasia.

richard

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:26:16 +1000, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> it's richard I have doubts about. It's hard to take
>> seriously someone who insists that black is white and up is down.
>>

>Richard is quite an interesting case actually, he has this ... what can
>we call it ... gift? Of being a sort of catalyst for discussions which
>are not entirely without merit. He gets to be able to do this by not
>being personally wounding to folks in spite of some provocation. Unlike
>me, say...
>
>There are truck drivers and truck drivers you see.
>
>Of his occasional interlocutors, Andy Dingley is my favourite, he
>combines sharp wit with no attempt to hide contempt. My God, this is an
>excellent group.
>
><g>

awwwwwwww geeeee. <blush>
Actually, you haven't seen my dark side.
I have been known to cut throats where it's been needed.
I just don't see the point of brow beating someone just because they
don't understand a few things. Like certain ones in this group
blasting and chewing out for someone simply not posting a URL.
Or they get irked and disturbed when you give them an honest opinion
on their site and they don't like your opinion.

Sherm Pendley

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net...
>> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>>
>>> I believe *you* - it's richard I have doubts about. It's hard to take
>>> seriously someone who insists that black is white and up is down.

>> Oceania is at war with Eurasia. Oceania has always been at war with
>> Eurasia.

> Oceania is at war with Eastasia. Oceania has always been at war with
> Eastasia.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

sherm--

--
My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

Nik Coughlin

"Sherm Pendley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net...

>>> Oceania is at war with Eurasia. Oceania has always been at war with
>>> Eurasia.

>> Oceania is at war with Eastasia. Oceania has always been at war with
>> Eastasia.

> War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

Thoughtcrime is death.

Neredbojias

On 24 Sep 2008, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

> Thoughtcrime is death.

BB is watching YOU.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

Roy A.

On 24 Sep, 23:17, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Roy A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 24 Sep, 05:57, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > <http://www.opencube.com/samples/im/sample14/sample.html>

> > > Would this be a "suckerfish" style menu?
> > > Any reason(s) NOT to use it?

> > These kinds of menus isn't visual effective.

> Funny thing to say (apart from the grammar) when you have no context yet
> for where such a menu might be?

No, I don't have any context. It's just based on general observations
and bad experience.

> > If you're on a sub page
> > like Industries -> Infrastructure, the expanded menu items isn't
> > related to anything on that page. It's like going throughout the whole
> > site map every time you want to go to a new page. The sub categories
> > for the current page isn't listed anywhere.

> Perhaps you are jumping to conclusions? Perhaps the issue of a dropdown
> menu and where it goes (whether just once on one page or repeated on
> other pages without variation) is another question.

These menu tends to be repeated on every page without variation. In
such cases, I think the hole ting is a bad idea. They don't give you
any visual clue about where you are or where you can go. They're just
showing the top links. And, in that case, they aren't user friendly
either. First you have to look up in the menu to find out where you
are, before you can navigate to related areas.

But as richard said, this top level menu is only a demo. If the
intended users can handle it, I don't see why you shouldn't use it. It
works on small screen devices and for people with different
disabilities.

I don't like top level menus on every page, at least when they can't
be expanded. So, to me, it depends on how you implement it.

> > Think about it, have you ever used a site map to navigate the content
> > of a site? I don't think so. The menu isn't as cool as it look.

> Why mention the worst case possibility - an author intending it as "the"
> site map - as an argument against the coolness of the whole idea of any
> dropdown?

General observations and bad experience. If there are more than one
option, some people are always going for the last resort.