Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Vista laptop can't see network devices

Vista laptop can't see network devices

RipperT

I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected to
my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other machines
on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are disabled,
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network Discovery setting
says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On". Options are "Turn
network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery off". Neither is
selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn network discovery on" and
click apply and it returns to the same configuration. More research shows
someone with the same trouble resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and
UPnP services. In Services, I see that both are already started and one
depends on the other, but the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure
I'll change it to "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to
turn on Network Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get
myriad error messages including "access denied" and "the specified value
does not exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this
laptop can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is
not "on". Please help!

Ripper

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

It could be a 3rd party software. The following search result may help.
Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help too.
Vista issues
network discovery is turned off Networking Issue between Vista and
XP because of security software "No network provider accepted the network
path" may ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"RipperT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
>wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected to
>my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other machines
>on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are disabled,
>"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network Discovery setting
>says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On". Options are "Turn
>network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery off". Neither is
>selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn network discovery on" and
>click apply and it returns to the same configuration. More research shows
>someone with the same trouble resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and
>UPnP services. In Services, I see that both are already started and one
>depends on the other, but the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure
>I'll change it to "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to
>turn on Network Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get
>myriad error messages including "access denied" and "the specified value
>does not exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this
>laptop can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is
>not "on". Please help!
>
> Ripper

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html#good-signal
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"RipperT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
>wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected to
>my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other machines
>on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are disabled,
>"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network Discovery setting
>says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On". Options are "Turn
>network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery off". Neither is
>selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn network discovery on" and
>click apply and it returns to the same configuration. More research shows
>someone with the same trouble resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and
>UPnP services. In Services, I see that both are already started and one
>depends on the other, but the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure
>I'll change it to "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to
>turn on Network Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get
>myriad error messages including "access denied" and "the specified value
>does not exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this
>laptop can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is
>not "on". Please help!
>
> Ripper

RipperT

This turns out to be simply changing the location type from public to
private, which was one of the first things I did to fix the problem. I'm
baffled. Oh, well, working now.

Thanks to those who responded.

Rip

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:16:12 -0400, RipperT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
> wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected
> to my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other
> machines on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are
> disabled, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network
> Discovery setting says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On".
> Options are "Turn network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery
> off". Neither is selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn
> network discovery on" and click apply and it returns to the same
> configuration. More research shows someone with the same trouble
> resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and UPnP services. In Services,
> I see that both are already started and one depends on the other, but
> the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure I'll change it to
> "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to turn on Network
> Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get myriad error
> messages including "access denied" and "the specified value does not
> exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this laptop
> can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is not
> "on". Please help!
>
> Ripper

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Thank you for the update.