Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: BT Hub phone alternative

Re: BT Hub phone alternative

Tim

Carl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been directed to this newsgroup to ask for advice. I do not use
> the BT Home Hub, as I've heard too many poor reports about it. I'd like
> to use the Voip phonecalls they offer though. Could any of you recommend
> a phone that will plug in to my ethernet port on the back of my DG834GT
> Netgear router? A handset that can do both landline and BT voip would be
> great, along with any configuration advice, I don't need to change my
> router, as it is suffient for the speed of internet that I receive
> already. Thanks very much! I haven't the first clue about Voip, beyond
> using the verizon service that used to be offered with msn, and that was
> a year or more ago.

You just need an IP phone or ATA.

Siemens C475IP fulfils your requirement of being both an IP phone and a
normal phone in one.

Tim

Tim

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>> Thank you, Tim.

> Be warned Carl, Until such time as Siemans update the settings on the
> ATA part of the C475IP you will be unble to use any of their IP phones
> with be most cost effective VOIP service providers. (Betamax) Which give
> mostly free calls to most countries in the world.

What's the problem with Siemens gigaset and betamax then?

Tim

Ian Pawson

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>> Thank you, Tim.

> Be warned Carl, Until such time as Siemans update the settings on the
> ATA part of the C475IP you will be unble to use any of their IP phones
> with be most cost effective VOIP service providers. (Betamax) Which give
> mostly free calls to most countries in the world.
>
> I unfotunately have already made that mistake and at the moment have
> £250 worth of Siemans IP phones not being able to be used due to the
> next to useless "dial plan" and SIP account set-up which is one of the
> most important features of any VOIP phone.
>
> I would suggest taking other peoples opinions more seriosly. Ones that
> don't have a specific interest in pushing the phones they distribute!
>
> It's one very small problem that is currently ruining what has the
> prospect of being a very good phone set-up!
>
> Hopefully Siemans will ammend things with a firmware fix very quickly,
> (Don't hold your breath though) if so, I will no doubt be able to
> praise Siemans IP phones highly. Until then unless you want to set up
> your own Asterix PBX server You're best off with a more usable ATA which
> you can plug your ordainairy DECT telephones into.
> It's a cheaper more functional solution which means you can use existing
> telephones without modification.
>
> HTH
> Pete

Well I have a C475IP (2 handset) and it works fine with my Betamax
service - very pleased with it - does everything that I need for both
incoming and outgoing calls.

Ian Pawson

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> Ian Pawson wrote:
>
>> Well I have a C475IP (2 handset) and it works fine with my Betamax
>> service - very pleased with it - does everything that I need for both
>> incoming and outgoing calls.

> So you can dail a straight 01 etc number and it auto prefixes it with
> 0044 and your calls are set in the address book as standard national
> 01,02,07 etc format so the callers display by name when presented with
> incoming caller ID ?
>
> And you don't get a voice saying "calls need to start with 00 and the
> country number, please check and re-dial"
>
> etc etc?
>
> Perhps there is a big difference between the S685IP and the C475IP then?
> I thought they were based on the same ATA and firmware.

Yes and for local numbers I just dial the number without any prefix