Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Security vs. ease of use

Security vs. ease of use

Gregg Hill

Hello!

I want to have a wireless access point that is secured by WPA, yet easy for
laptop users to connect to without having to enter confusing WPA keys or
SSID numbers. The goal would be to have a hot-spot where the secured
connection is available to many users via some sort of login screen where
all they enter is a user name and password they have been given.

Is there a way to do that and have the laptop get the proper settings
automatically?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Gregg

Sooner Al [MVP]

You might look at this page for one possible free solution...There may be others...

http://www.publicip.net/

I have never used this, but it may be a good starting point...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Gregg Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello!
>
> I want to have a wireless access point that is secured by WPA, yet easy for laptop users to
> connect to without having to enter confusing WPA keys or SSID numbers. The goal would be to have a
> hot-spot where the secured connection is available to many users via some sort of login screen
> where all they enter is a user name and password they have been given.
>
> Is there a way to do that and have the laptop get the proper settings automatically?
>
> Thank you for any help you can give!
>
> Gregg

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi

There are varieties of solutions and it depends on what you would like to protect, your
environment, etc.

As an example if your concern is only your Network you can create a segregate Wireless
for casual users and leave the Wireless Unencrypted. http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

Or ,you can use Win2003 and IAS (Radius) for total control.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...Kit/12f5422b-1
db2-4a7d-9484-f56cccfd2338.mspx

Or, you can try the concoction that is described in ALís Link which seems to offer a
very elaborate solution.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You might look at this page for one possible free solution...There may be others...
>
> http://www.publicip.net/
>
> I have never used this, but it may be a good starting point...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of

all of us...

> "Gregg Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello!
> >
> > I want to have a wireless access point that is secured by WPA, yet easy for laptop

users to
> > connect to without having to enter confusing WPA keys or SSID numbers. The goal

would be to have a
> > hot-spot where the secured connection is available to many users via some sort of

login screen
> > where all they enter is a user name and password they have been given.
> >
> > Is there a way to do that and have the laptop get the proper settings automatically?
> >
> > Thank you for any help you can give!
> >
> > Gregg

Gregg Hill

Jack,

Would the RADIUS solution allow for automatically setting up encryption of
the connection after authenticating a user?

Gregg Hill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...