Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't Connect to Shared Folders through Linksys Router

Can't Connect to Shared Folders through Linksys Router

Randy

I recently switched from a D-Link to a Linksys router (WRTU54G-TM).
Previously, my home network worked just fine. After putting in the
new router, all of my mapped network drives are failing to connect.
The network functions properly in all other ways (network printers
work from all computers, internet connections are fine, etc.)

However, when I try to add a mapped network drive, none of the other
computers are visible to me to/from any other computer on the
network. I've tried to type in the computer name and folder (\
\othermachine\folder) and I've tried to browse. Neither works.
Windows just tells me that it cannot access the other computer.

I use Norton Internet Security. All machines have been given "Full
Trust" status here and they have also been set as "Trusted" using
their MAC addresses in the firewall settings. I can "see" the other
computers via the network map in Norton Internet Security. I have
also disabled the firewalls on the machines long enough to test for
that as the problem. Disabling the firewalls did not allow me to
connect.

I'm running Vista Home Premium on one machine and XP on the other.
Both are up-to-date on the service packages. When I go into the
router setup utility using a browser and the router's IP address, all
machines are present and connected via DHCP, so no problems there.

Note that the only thing that has changed is the introduction of the
new router. Everything worked perfectly with the same hardware and
software previous to the router change. But somehow it looks like the
router is blocking the machines from communicating with one another.

Can anybody suggest anything that I might try to correct this? I
can't figure this out.

Thanks,
Randy

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
By changing the Router (and the Brand) your IP scheme (subnet) probably
changed.
As an arbitrary example, 192.168.22.x changed to the 192.168.1.x (22 to 1
subnet).
Disconnect all current Mapped Drives. Use IPconfig to find out what is the
current IP scheme.
Make sure that Norton Trusted configuration is tuned to the current IP
scheme, and try to map again.
Old Norton look like this the principle fro the new one in principle
similar, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#trusted
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently switched from a D-Link to a Linksys router (WRTU54G-TM).
> Previously, my home network worked just fine. After putting in the
> new router, all of my mapped network drives are failing to connect.
> The network functions properly in all other ways (network printers
> work from all computers, internet connections are fine, etc.)
>
> However, when I try to add a mapped network drive, none of the other
> computers are visible to me to/from any other computer on the
> network. I've tried to type in the computer name and folder (\
> \othermachine\folder) and I've tried to browse. Neither works.
> Windows just tells me that it cannot access the other computer.
>
> I use Norton Internet Security. All machines have been given "Full
> Trust" status here and they have also been set as "Trusted" using
> their MAC addresses in the firewall settings. I can "see" the other
> computers via the network map in Norton Internet Security. I have
> also disabled the firewalls on the machines long enough to test for
> that as the problem. Disabling the firewalls did not allow me to
> connect.
>
> I'm running Vista Home Premium on one machine and XP on the other.
> Both are up-to-date on the service packages. When I go into the
> router setup utility using a browser and the router's IP address, all
> machines are present and connected via DHCP, so no problems there.
>
> Note that the only thing that has changed is the introduction of the
> new router. Everything worked perfectly with the same hardware and
> software previous to the router change. But somehow it looks like the
> router is blocking the machines from communicating with one another.
>
> Can anybody suggest anything that I might try to correct this? I
> can't figure this out.
>
> Thanks,
> Randy

Randy

On Sep 22, 9:46*pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> By changing the Router (and the Brand) your IP scheme (subnet) probably
> changed.
> As an arbitrary example, 192.168.22.x changed to the 192.168.1.x (22 to 1
> subnet).
> Disconnect all current Mapped Drives. Use IPconfig to find out what is the
> current IP scheme.
> Make sure that Norton Trusted configuration is tuned to the current IP
> scheme, and try to map again.
> Old Norton look like this the principle fro the new one in principle
> similar,http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#trusted
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I recently switched from a D-Link to a Linksys router (WRTU54G-TM).
> > Previously, my home network worked just fine. *After putting in the
> > new router, all of my mapped network drives are failing to connect.
> > The network functions properly in all other ways (network printers
> > work from all computers, internet connections are fine, etc.)

> > However, when I try to add a mapped network drive, none of the other
> > computers are visible to me to/from any other computer on the
> > network. *I've tried to type in the computer name and folder (\
> > \othermachine\folder) and I've tried to browse. *Neither works.
> > Windows just tells me that it cannot access the other computer.

> > I use Norton Internet Security. *All machines have been given "Full
> > Trust" status here and they have also been set as "Trusted" using
> > their MAC addresses in the firewall settings. *I can "see" the other
> > computers via the network map in Norton Internet Security. *I have
> > also disabled the firewalls on the machines long enough to test for
> > that as the problem. *Disabling the firewalls did not allow me to
> > connect.

> > I'm running Vista Home Premium on one machine and XP on the other.
> > Both are up-to-date on the service packages. *When I go into the
> > router setup utility using a browser and the router's IP address, all
> > machines are present and connected via DHCP, so no problems there.

> > Note that the only thing that has changed is the introduction of the
> > new router. *Everything worked perfectly with the same hardware and
> > software previous to the router change. *But somehow it looks like the
> > router is blocking the machines from communicating with one another.

> > Can anybody suggest anything that I might try to correct this? *I
> > can't figure this out.

> > Thanks,
> > Randy

Thanks for the reply, Jack. Yes, my IP configuration did change, and
I know all of the new IP addresses. However, I am not able even to
browse to the computers or to connect by entering their device name.
Since the computers connect to the network via DHCP, I don't think
that using their current IP addresses is a good idea as these
addresses are subject to change as their leases renew (right???). Not
that it works, anyway - I tried it and I get the same error message
("cannot connect"). The problem right now is that the router seems to
be blocking any attempts at accessing other computers on the network,
regardless of what method I try. I have disconnected all mapped
drives, but I am not able to establish any new connections.

Lem

Randy wrote:
> [...]
>>> can't figure this out.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Randy

> Thanks for the reply, Jack. Yes, my IP configuration did change, and
> I know all of the new IP addresses. However, I am not able even to
> browse to the computers or to connect by entering their device name.
> Since the computers connect to the network via DHCP, I don't think
> that using their current IP addresses is a good idea as these
> addresses are subject to change as their leases renew (right???). Not
> that it works, anyway - I tried it and I get the same error message
> ("cannot connect"). The problem right now is that the router seems to
> be blocking any attempts at accessing other computers on the network,
> regardless of what method I try. I have disconnected all mapped
> drives, but I am not able to establish any new connections.

Is this a bi-directional problem or only one way? I realize that this
issue arose when you changed routers, but if the files that you can't
access are on the WinXP box - which has Norton 360 installed - check
event viewer on the XP box for Event 2011. If you see any, then see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078/en-us
--
Lem -- MS-MVP

rebecca.eastland@gmail.com

On Sep 23, 10:35*am, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
> Randy wrote:
> > On Sep 22, 9:46 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >> By changing the Router (and the Brand) your IP scheme (subnet) probably
> >> changed.
> >> As an arbitrary example, 192.168.22.x changed to the 192.168.1.x (22 to 1
> >> subnet).
> >> Disconnect all current Mapped Drives. Use IPconfig to find out what is the
> >> current IP scheme.
> >> Make sure that Norton Trusted configuration is tuned to the current IP
> >> scheme, and try to map again.
> >> Old Norton look like this the principle fro the new one in principle
> >> similar,http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#trusted
> >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> >> "Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > Thanks for the reply, Jack. *Yes, my IP configuration did change, and
> > I know all of the new IP addresses. *However, I am not able even to
> > browse to the computers or to connect by entering their device name.
> > Since the computers connect to the network via DHCP, I don't think
> > that using their current IP addresses is a good idea as these
> > addresses are subject to change as their leases renew (right???). *Not
> > that it works, anyway - I tried it and I get the same error message
> > ("cannot connect"). *The problem right now is that the router seems to
> > be blocking any attempts at accessing other computers on the network,
> > regardless of what method I try. *I have disconnected all mapped
> > drives, but I am not able to establish any new connections.

> Is this a bi-directional problem or only one way? *I realize that this
> issue arose when you changed routers, but if the files that you can't
> access are on the WinXP box - which has Norton 360 installed - check
> event viewer on the XP box for Event 2011. If you see any, then seehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078/en-us
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP
>
> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_.../compessay.htm

It goes either way - from any machine to any machine. Each computer
has Norton Internet Security, all on the same license.

Lem

> On Sep 23, 10:35 am, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
>> Randy wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reply, Jack. Yes, my IP configuration did change, and
>>> I know all of the new IP addresses. However, I am not able even to
>>> browse to the computers or to connect by entering their device name.
>>> Since the computers connect to the network via DHCP, I don't think
>>> that using their current IP addresses is a good idea as these
>>> addresses are subject to change as their leases renew (right???). Not
>>> that it works, anyway - I tried it and I get the same error message
>>> ("cannot connect"). The problem right now is that the router seems to
>>> be blocking any attempts at accessing other computers on the network,
>>> regardless of what method I try. I have disconnected all mapped
>>> drives, but I am not able to establish any new connections.

>> Is this a bi-directional problem or only one way? I realize that this
>> issue arose when you changed routers, but if the files that you can't
>> access are on the WinXP box - which has Norton 360 installed - check
>> event viewer on the XP box for Event 2011. If you see any, then seehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078/en-us
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP
>>
>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_.../compessay.htm

> It goes either way - from any machine to any machine. Each computer
> has Norton Internet Security, all on the same license.

Did you check event viewer for Event ID 2011?

--
Lem -- MS-MVP