Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How does Java Software Get Into A Cell-Phone?

How does Java Software Get Into A Cell-Phone?

Roedy Green

1.You upload your software over the Internet to distribution site like
cell.photo.net. Your app gets assigned a phone number. Anyone wanting
to load the software dials than number on their cell-phone.

2. If the phone has Internet access, I presume it is possible to
download the jad file from an ordinary website given the URL.

3. I presume there exists some way of uploading the program over a USB
connection from a desktop computer. What software do you use on the
desktop? on the phone?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com/politics/harper.html

Roedy Green

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:41:02 -0700, Roedy Green
someone who said :

>3. I presume there exists some way of uploading the program over a USB
>connection from a desktop computer. What software do you use on the
>desktop? on the phone?

I discovered yet another way:

If the phone has WAP access, you upload the jad file to a host like
waphq.net. Your app gets assigned a number. Anyone wanting to load
the software uses their cell-phone wap browser to navigate to
http://waphq.net/wap.php and enters the number.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com/politics/harper.html
Anyone but Harper for Prime Minister of Canada

RedGrittyBrick

Roedy Green wrote:
> 3. I presume there exists some way of uploading the program over a USB
> connection from a desktop computer. What software do you use on the
> desktop? on the phone?

IME Nokia cell/mobile/handy telephones are supplied with Nokia PC-Suite.
You can use this to select JAR files to be installed on the phone via a
USB connector.

--
RGB

Stefan Rybacki

Roedy Green schrieb:
> 1.You upload your software over the Internet to distribution site like
> cell.photo.net. Your app gets assigned a phone number. Anyone wanting
> to load the software dials than number on their cell-phone.
>
> 2. If the phone has Internet access, I presume it is possible to
> download the jad file from an ordinary website given the URL.
>
> 3. I presume there exists some way of uploading the program over a USB
> connection from a desktop computer. What software do you use on the
> desktop? on the phone?

I just send the jar via bluetooth to the phone. No additional software required.
On the other hand I had another cell where this wasn't possible. The file was
transfered but not recognized as java application. In that case I needed to use
bitpm to connect to the phone to browse the phones file system and place the jar
in the appropriate folder. This phone was a Samsung phone that only looks in a
specific folder for java applications, where this folder is not accessible thru
the normal samsung software thats why one has to use bitpm. The most secure way
to deploy it would be the wap way. But that is no option for me since I don't
own a data flatrate nor do I want to download e.g. an 4MB jar to my phone via
wap. And again I switched phones and now I just bluetooth it.

Stefan

Andreas Leitgeb

Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 3. I presume there exists some way of uploading the program over a USB
> connection from a desktop computer. What software do you use on the
> desktop? on the phone?

I've used a couple of variants of this scenario under linux:
3-a-a) IRDA-send: a small utility, that sends/receives files
over IRDA. It was called "irxfer" back then.
3-a-b) IRDA: utility "gammu" let me access the filesystem
of my older nokia phones, e.g. 6610, 3200
and many others.
3-b-a) Bluetooth: in principle like irxfer (3-a-a)
3-b-b) OBEX over Bluetooth: also allows to browse files on the
phone. Works conveniently in KDE and gnome.

3-c) many modern phones I saw appeared as "usb-storage", when
connected to the PC with the accompanying usb-cable.

4) some phones have slots for memory-cards, e.g. microSD, which
one can just take out from the phone and stick into an
appropriate reader connected to (or built into) the PC.

PS: ad WAP: my experience was, that WAP didn't really allow downloading
of files, but only served the wap-pages that contained the link, which
was then downloaded with HTTP. Even phones that didn't support displaying
http-pages (only wap) e.g. the Siemens C55 still had separate http-profiles
used both for downloads and for connections initiated by java-midlets.