Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: uninstall xp & reinstall

Re: uninstall xp & reinstall

wisdomkiller & pain

Don Dotson wrote:

> My putor is sluggish.want to uninstall & reinstall.I have my original
> seperate xp disc.I put the disc in & thought i did a clean start over.but
> still had my original programs.I want a complete new install.
> It's a 6 year old machine
> 2.0 intel
> Thanks for any help any more info let me know

Depends upon the cd you got - it may be a vendor cd, most of the time a
bootable image with all apps preloaded as well.
If the cd is truly 6 years old, you may not have any servicepacks and no
firewall, and you can just at this time begin another install/reimage
because the computer will soon slowdown once more, due to the malware you
already have loaded.
What you need to do best beforehand, is download and burn the full sp3
installer, and stay offline during the new "install" until you have done
the sp3 as well.
Or, you did have a windows cd and you accepted to install it in the same
partition as the original one. In that case, you have a big mess - next
time take the option to reformat.