Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer freezes up

Computer freezes up

John Holmes

Richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs
> wouldn't run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got
> rid of McAfee and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months
> ago that I know was good and I'm still having problems. So before I do
> a clean install I was just wondering if I could try something like PC
> Doctor or some other PC fix it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to
> do a clean install anyway. what would be the best one out there?

The upmost common reason for computers to freeze is a clogged up CPU fan.
The fact that you loaded a working image without solving the problem
points even more to a hardware issue. Open the case, check the fans and
use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.

--
<snip>

Evan Platt

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:31:46 -0700, "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs wouldn't
>run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got rid of McAfee
>and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I know was
>good and I'm still having problems. So before I do a clean install I was
>just wondering if I could try something like PC Doctor or some other PC fix
>it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to do a clean install anyway. what
>would be the best one out there?

Assuming this is a Windows machine of some sort.. Have you checked the
event viewer for errors?

How many sticks of memory? Try removing one, and then potentially
swapping to see if you have a bad stick.

Run the Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ which can
check for memory errors.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Richard wrote:

> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up

It is because your clock is off.

--
-bts

Stephen Wolstenholme

wrote:

>Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs wouldn't
>run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got rid of McAfee
>and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I know was
>good and I'm still having problems. So before I do a clean install I was
>just wondering if I could try something like PC Doctor or some other PC fix
>it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to do a clean install anyway. what
>would be the best one out there?

Check the CPU temperature before you start reinstalling everything.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com
EasyNN-plus. Build Neural Networks. http://www.easynn.com

Richard

Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs wouldn't
run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got rid of McAfee
and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I know was
good and I'm still having problems. So before I do a clean install I was
just wondering if I could try something like PC Doctor or some other PC fix
it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to do a clean install anyway. what
would be the best one out there?

chuckcar

John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs
>> wouldn't run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got
>> rid of McAfee and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months
>> ago that I know was good and I'm still having problems. So before I do
>> a clean install I was just wondering if I could try something like PC
>> Doctor or some other PC fix it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to
>> do a clean install anyway. what would be the best one out there?
>>

> The upmost common reason for computers to freeze is a clogged up CPU
> fan. The fact that you loaded a working image without solving the
> problem points even more to a hardware issue. Open the case, check the
> fans and use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.

Nonsence. The most *common* is programs in startup slowing the computer to
a crawl.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:RFuBk.16517$(E-Mail Removed):

> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs wouldn't
> run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got rid of
> McAfee and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months ago that I
> know was good and I'm still having problems. So before I do a clean
> install I was just wondering if I could try something like PC Doctor or
> some other PC fix it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm going to do a clean
> install anyway. what would be the best one out there?

Disable startup completely to see if this fixes the problem. And then try
enabling lines one by one to find out what is corrupted if it fixes it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

John Holmes

chuckcar "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up and programs
>>> wouldn't run. So I cleaned up all the programs I don't use much, Got
>>> rid of McAfee and put in Avast, I even loaded a image from 2 months
>>> ago that I know was good and I'm still having problems. So before I
>>> do a clean install I was just wondering if I could try something
>>> like PC Doctor or some other PC fix it upper. Nothing to lose if I'm
>>> going to do a clean install anyway. what would be the best one out
>>> there?
>>>

>> The upmost common reason for computers to freeze is a clogged up CPU
>> fan. The fact that you loaded a working image without solving the
>> problem points even more to a hardware issue. Open the case, check
>> the fans and use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.
>>

> Nonsence. The most *common* is programs in startup slowing the
> computer to a crawl.

The OP never mentioned a slow startup or slowing the computer to a crawl.
The problem is a "freezing" computer.

--
<snip>

chuckcar

John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> The upmost common reason for computers to freeze is a clogged up CPU
>>> fan. The fact that you loaded a working image without solving the
>>> problem points even more to a hardware issue. Open the case, check
>>> the fans and use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust.
>>>

>> Nonsence. The most *common* is programs in startup slowing the
>> computer to a crawl.
>>

> The OP never mentioned a slow startup or slowing the computer to a
> crawl. The problem is a "freezing" computer.

Yes, but that term is used to talk about a computer that's running very
slowly. You can see the reason I'm sure. Put 20 programs in your startup
if you want to see it. I've taken calls in the past where that term was
used - numerous times. It *really* is the biggest problem people have with
windows since 3.11.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

hwأf

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:15:26 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty aided th'
terraists with the following claims :

> Richard wrote:
>
>> Starting yesterday my computer started freezing up

> It is because your clock is off.

Naw, move it to a warmer room in the house, eh?