Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Zipping with password

Zipping with password

t87699@googlemail.com

Hello

Can anyone recomend software that I can use for backup that would
provide scurity.

I used to use WinZip, but it seems that the password is easy to break.

I'd like to be able to compress my files, but put a password on them.

The MicrosoftLiveOnecare Compression doesn't seem to have a password
feature.

Thanks

Lars Eighner

In our last episode,
<(E-Mail Removed)>, the
lovely and talented http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) broadcast on
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

See <http://www.info-zip.org/>

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> (E-Mail Removed)
If it wasn't for muscle spasms, I wouldn't get any exercise at all.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello
>
>Can anyone recomend software that I can use for backup that would
>provide scurity.
>
>I used to use WinZip, but it seems that the password is easy to break.

It's not.

>I'd like to be able to compress my files, but put a password on them.
>
>The MicrosoftLiveOnecare Compression doesn't seem to have a password
>feature.

If you look at a zip file in a text editor you will see the first two
letters (bytes) are PK

I used to zip my files then use a hex editor to change the PK to like
PZ, the files then come across as corrupt. - very few if any would
know to change the PZ back to PK.

Just a thought.

--

Burger King sign
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...f/DSCN0779.jpg

t87699@googlemail.com

How did you do this?

Thanks

t87699@googlemail.com

Is there an older version of Zip that I don't have to pay for? It used
to be free...

Thanks

Matt Michaels

I like IZArc... Not sure how good a password encryption it uses. May all
be the same. Really want to be safe, I guess you could zip them regularly,
and use some 3rd party encryption (pgp) thing to encrypt over.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>How did you do this?

As I mentioned, and the zip format hasn't changed:
PK

(zip header, you will see three squares as well that your font's can't
convert)
--

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Is there an older version of Zip that I don't have to pay for? It used
>to be free...

PKzip has never been freeware.

"PKUNZIP (R) FAST! Extract Utility Version 2.04g 02-01-93
Copr. 1989-1993 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Registered version
PKUNZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off."

http://www.computerhope.com/software/pkutil.htm

--

Burger King sign
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...f/DSCN0779.jpg

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Using GG googlegroups to read&post to usenet is a big disadvantage.

> Can anyone recomend software that I can use for backup that would
> provide scurity.

Many free compressors have encryption, generally about 128bit.

> I used to use WinZip, but it seems that the password is easy to break.

One strategy for protecting a compressed file is to use a strong encrypter
on the compressed file.

> I'd like to be able to compress my files, but put a password on them.

Compress them with the compressor/algorithm of your choice and encrypt
them with a powerful encrypter of your choice; alternatively password
protect ordinary compressed files with 128 bit security.

There are many problems with read&post usenet with GG, many people don't
see your posts because they filter GGers, GG has too much spam and
hipcrime, GG is a clunky interface whereas newsreaders are smooth and
filtered.

There are numerous free newsreaders & newsservers. Just use GG for
searching archives for answers to questions like yours.

--
Mike Easter

chuckcar

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Is there an older version of Zip that I don't have to pay for? It used
>>to be free...

> PKzip has never been freeware.
>
> "PKUNZIP (R) FAST! Extract Utility Version 2.04g 02-01-93
> Copr. 1989-1993 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Registered version
> PKUNZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off."

Copyrighted does *not* mean not free.

http://gnu.org

Besides, that version was released after a spoof version that contained a virus.
(2.04f I *think*) The company relented and released a version it intended to sell.
Try earlier versions.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Zipping dir and avoiding absolute path iksrazal@terra.com.br Java 1 11-11-2005 03:56 PM
Zipping without a file Tyler Reed Java 5 09-16-2004 04:10 PM
Zipping a directory Kasper K Java 1 12-22-2003 11:22 AM

Advertisments