Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem with background image in Firefox

Problem with background image in Firefox

Hvid Hat

Hi

I'm having a problem with the background image not taking up all the space of
a div. In IE it looks correctly. Anyone?

http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/test.html

Els

Hvid Hat wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm having a problem with the background image not taking up all the space of
> a div. In IE it looks correctly. Anyone?
>
> http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/test.html

The background image *does* take up all the space in the div, but the
div is not high enough.

The thing is that you have floats inside that div, and floats aren't
'seen' by their parents. You need an element with clear:both after the
last float, but still inside the outer div, which will then stretch
around it.

(IE does it wrong)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

dorayme

In article <48d40dd1$0$56796$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"Hvid Hat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm having a problem with the background image not taking up all the space of
> a div. In IE it looks correctly. Anyone?
>
> http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/test.html

#news-list {overflow: hidden;}

--
dorayme

Els

dorayme wrote:

> In article <48d40dd1$0$56796$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> "Hvid Hat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> [6 quoted lines suppressed]

> #news-list {overflow: hidden;}

Great trick, I'll need to remember that one!

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > In article <48d40dd1$0$56796$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> > "Hvid Hat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> [6 quoted lines suppressed]

> > #news-list {overflow: hidden;}

> Great trick, I'll need to remember that one!

You seem to have gone away for a long time, Els, from here. Glad you are
back and glad rf is back, I have been beaten black and blue by all the
ones that stayed. It has been a very frightening experience. But anyway,
to keep my insanity intact, in that period where you abandoned us, I
knocked up:

<http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

--
dorayme

Els

dorayme wrote:

> You seem to have gone away for a long time, Els, from here.

Yup - too busy to usenet. (that's quite bad, isn't it)

> Glad you are
> back and glad rf is back, I have been beaten black and blue by all the
> ones that stayed. It has been a very frightening experience. But anyway,
> to keep my insanity intact, in that period where you abandoned us, I
> knocked up:
>
> <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

I can't seem to get to that page, but that could well be a problem on
my end. Having connection troubles all day already, even the Mac has
trouble getting through my router at the moment. I do remember it
though, isn't it the page where you explain floats as naughty children
or something? You see, while I was away, I did peek through the window
every now and again

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

dorayme

In article <nfddnw188lej$.hwwspo9afva4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > You seem to have gone away for a long time, Els, from here.

> Yup - too busy to usenet. (that's quite bad, isn't it)
>
> > Glad you are
> > back and glad rf is back, I have been beaten black and blue by all the
> > ones that stayed. It has been a very frightening experience. But anyway,
> > to keep my insanity intact, in that period where you abandoned us, I
> > knocked up:
> >
> > <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

> I can't seem to get to that page, but that could well be a problem on
> my end. Having connection troubles all day already, even the Mac has
> trouble getting through my router at the moment. I do remember it
> though, isn't it the page where you explain floats as naughty children
> or something? You see, while I was away, I did peek through the window
> every now and again

Not quite, the naughty children one was an earlier small draft
manifestion of wild madness. The above URL is a later manifestation of a
more controlled kind of madness and much longer.

The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
having connection problems.

--
dorayme

Els

dorayme wrote:

>>> <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

> The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
> having connection problems.

Yup - ping is fine, tracert shows no trouble, browser finding page: no
chance.
I just tried on my phone, works fine, and very fast too. Maybe I'll
read it on the small screen, else I'll try the browser again tomorrow.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-09-19, dorayme wrote:
> In article <nfddnw188lej$.hwwspo9afva4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> I can't seem to get to that page, but that could well be a problem on
>> my end. Having connection troubles all day already, even the Mac has
>> trouble getting through my router at the moment. I do remember it
>> though, isn't it the page where you explain floats as naughty children
>> or something? You see, while I was away, I did peek through the window
>> every now and again

> Not quite, the naughty children one was an earlier small draft
> manifestion of wild madness. The above URL is a later manifestation of a
> more controlled kind of madness and much longer.
>
> The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
> having connection problems.

It seems to be a widespread problem. I cannot get to the url from
any computers in Toronto, but I can from one in Texas.

Author:

dorayme

In article <19945x1kqgllo.e786velvezr3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > The URL is good, at least I can get o it easily. so it seems you are
> > having connection problems.

> Yup - ping is fine, tracert shows no trouble, browser finding page: no
> chance.
> I just tried on my phone, works fine, and very fast too. Maybe I'll
> read it on the small screen, else I'll try the browser again tomorrow.

O dear! I might have to think harder about its accessibility for phones!
I was preoccupied with just making sense of things for myself.

--
dorayme