Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Finally organising photos in Picassa

Reply
Thread Tools

Finally organising photos in Picassa

 
 
john d hamilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2008
Novice has years of photos moved around and copied 'here and there', so now
has lots of *duplicates* all over the place, including the external hard
drive.

In an attempt to organise them i downloaded Picassa and so can easily
'delete' the duplicates, since they appear side by side.

For some reason the folder icon with most of the photos in, that used to be
in 'My Documents' has disappeared. Although a search shows the photos are
still in 'My Documents'.

What would be the best way to draw all the photos together and have them
now in one place please ?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rob Morley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2008
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:18:08 +0100
"Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:

> Windows has a nifty featur called Move to folder.


ITYFI "Send to Folder"

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2008
"Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:20080919120239.122fbc6d@bluemoon,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Rob Morley bashed on keyboard and typed:
>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:18:08 +0100
>> "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:
>>
>>> Windows has a nifty featur called Move to folder.

>>
>> ITYFI "Send to Folder"

>
> Actually its move this folder and copy this folder. I have a Inf file that
> added copy/move to the context menu to work like Send to X in my old win
> 98. God knows what its called in Vista but I bet it needs admin rights and
> a password
>



The "send to" in Windows is not a move, it is a copy process.
While I have not tried it on my Vista machine, you are right that it does
require administrative rights. However, if that is your machine you should
set yourself up as administrator. If that is a machine at your workplace
your manager might not be thrilled with your use of a workplace machine for
personal storage of photos. I have no intention for the above statement to
start a discussion on proper use of workplace computers.


--
Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Morton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2008
mm wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:33:11 +0100, "john d hamilton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Novice has years of photos moved around and copied 'here and there', so now
>> has lots of *duplicates* all over the place, including the external hard
>> drive.
>>
>> In an attempt to organise them i downloaded Picassa and so can easily
>> 'delete' the duplicates, since they appear side by side.
>>
>> For some reason the folder icon with most of the photos in, that used to be
>> in 'My Documents' has disappeared. Although a search shows the photos are
>> still in 'My Documents'.

>
> I don't have more than a fleeting acquaintance iwth picasa but this
> reminds me of a Yahoo group I subscribed to, unsubscribed, and still
> get all the posts from. I tried again to unsubscribe and it wouldnt'
> let me. I tried to post and it wouldn't let me. So I subscribed and
> now plan to unsubscribe, hoping that will do it.
>
> In your case, maybe more all the unavailbable photos to some dummy
> folder, then move them back again to my documents.
>
> I have a feeling you deleted them while in Picasa, if you can do that
> there. I'm hoping that only deletes an entry in a picasa list, and
> won't delete the photos from the hard drive. Otherwise it's dangerous.
> But who knows.
>
>> What would be the best way to draw all the photos together and have them
>> now in one place please ?
>>

>

Hi,

The beauty of Picasa is that it automatically copies any photos from
your hard drive. If you at any point delete photos from Picasa, the
originals will remain where they were on the hard drive. Similarly, if
you edit a photo in Picasa, the original unedited version will remain on
the hard drive. Being free doesn't hurt either.

Morton
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2008
Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The beauty of Picasa is that it automatically copies any photos from
>your hard drive.


Your really on top of this computer security thing aren't you.
--

Fallen art
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7HMz1WKkso
 
Reply With Quote
 
OG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2008

"Morton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48d8403d$0$5643$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mm wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:33:11 +0100, "john d hamilton"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Novice has years of photos moved around and copied 'here and there', so
>>> now has lots of *duplicates* all over the place, including the external
>>> hard drive.
>>>
>>> In an attempt to organise them i downloaded Picassa and so can easily
>>> 'delete' the duplicates, since they appear side by side.
>>>
>>> For some reason the folder icon with most of the photos in, that used to
>>> be in 'My Documents' has disappeared. Although a search shows the photos
>>> are still in 'My Documents'.

>>
>> I don't have more than a fleeting acquaintance iwth picasa but this
>> reminds me of a Yahoo group I subscribed to, unsubscribed, and still
>> get all the posts from. I tried again to unsubscribe and it wouldnt'
>> let me. I tried to post and it wouldn't let me. So I subscribed and
>> now plan to unsubscribe, hoping that will do it.
>>
>> In your case, maybe more all the unavailbable photos to some dummy
>> folder, then move them back again to my documents.
>>
>> I have a feeling you deleted them while in Picasa, if you can do that
>> there. I'm hoping that only deletes an entry in a picasa list, and
>> won't delete the photos from the hard drive. Otherwise it's dangerous.
>> But who knows.
>>
>>> What would be the best way to draw all the photos together and have
>>> them now in one place please ?

>>

> Hi,
>
> The beauty of Picasa is that it automatically copies any photos from your
> hard drive. If you at any point delete photos from Picasa, the originals
> will remain where they were on the hard drive.


Not necessarily so - if you copy the photo to your own *album*, you can
delete it from the *album* without losing the original; if however, you
delete the photo from the source folder in Picasa it *is* deleted from the
HD and can only be retrieved via the recycle bin. Be warned.

> Similarly, if you edit a photo in Picasa, the original unedited version
> will remain on the hard drive. Being free doesn't hurt either.


This is correct. Picasa backs up the original version of any image you edit
to a hidden folder called 'Originals' within the source folder.


 
Reply With Quote
 
OG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2008

"OG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>
>> Similarly, if you edit a photo in Picasa, the original unedited version
>> will remain on the hard drive. Being free doesn't hurt either.

>
> This is correct. Picasa backs up the original version of any image you
> edit to a hidden folder called 'Originals' within the source folder.

But deleting the edited version also deletes the backed up original. Again,
be warned


 
Reply With Quote
 
Morton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2008
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The beauty of Picasa is that it automatically copies any photos from
>> your hard drive.

>
> Your really on top of this computer security thing aren't you.

Thank you. If you ever had important images deleted accidentally by a
malfunctioning device or program, then you would be too.

Morton
 
Reply With Quote
 
Morton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2008
OG wrote:
> "OG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>> Similarly, if you edit a photo in Picasa, the original unedited version
>>> will remain on the hard drive. Being free doesn't hurt either.

>> This is correct. Picasa backs up the original version of any image you
>> edit to a hidden folder called 'Originals' within the source folder.

> But deleting the edited version also deletes the backed up original. Again,
> be warned
>
>

I keep all my original unedited pictures in the folder "Pictures" on my
hard drive, not resorting to Albums or other such moves. I therefore can
be sure that a delete in Picasa2 retains the original in Pictures.
(Vista Home Premium). In addition, I burn all my images to CD-Rs that
are suppose to last 100 years; which I will not live long enough to
prove.For important pictures in the field, I have a portable
battery-operated CD-R burner for pictures that automatically burns
images from the SD card to a blank CD-R.

Regards,

Morton
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally organising photos in Picassa john d hamilton Digital Photography 8 09-23-2008 08:48 PM
Organising Photos on Hard Drive Robin Digital Photography 27 04-27-2007 08:23 PM
Organising photos from Nikon and Canon? PeteD Digital Photography 13 10-08-2006 04:04 AM
Picassa ? Al Dykes Digital Photography 5 02-21-2006 11:35 PM
Picassa to ?? Larry Digital Photography 5 01-19-2006 03:34 PM



Advertisments