Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dimdows 7

Dimdows 7

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Looks like Dimdows 7 is basically going to be a warmed-over rehash of Vista.
It's not going to fix the resource-usage problems, which means that
Microsoft is going to have to continue offering Dimdows XP for low-cost PCs
(netbooks/nettops), to avoid ceding even more ground to Linux.

Wouldn't it be ironic if XP outlived Vista?

Will Spencer

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:05:50 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Looks like Dimdows 7 is basically going to be a warmed-over rehash of Vista.
> It's not going to fix the resource-usage problems, which means that
> Microsoft is going to have to continue offering Dimdows XP for low-cost PCs
> (netbooks/nettops), to avoid ceding even more ground to Linux.
>
> Wouldn't it be ironic if XP outlived Vista?

No, I know a few that still use MS-Dos.

-ws

Gordon

On 2008-09-19, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be ironic if XP outlived Vista?

Nope. Evolution.

We are returning/forking/buzzing on smaller, less powerful devices which are
small.

Yep, my mower engine will drive my car, but I only wish to mow the lawn. A
4569cc engine is not required, too heavy and too costly.

Web 2 is here, now so to is CPU 2.

What % of the time gentle reader do you get your cpu(s) going 100% ?

Dave Taylor

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:6jh0nuF39g5tU2
@mid.individual.net:

> What % of the time gentle reader do you get your cpu(s) going 100%

?

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...mpage&teamnum=

Ciao, Dave

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Dave Taylor" typed:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...p?teamid=30823

--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Gordon

On 2008-09-19, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Dave Taylor" typed:
>> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:6jh0nuF39g5tU2
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> What % of the time gentle reader do you get your cpu(s) going 100% ?

>> http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...mpage&teamnum=
>> 12519

> http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...p?teamid=30823

Indeed. Use what you have.

I left seti at home and took my PC someplace else when it went Bionc. The
basic CLI version ( linux) gave me more feed back. Also I am more interested
in life in the every expanding galaxy than the other johnny come afterwards

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Gordon" typed:
> On 2008-09-19, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Dave Taylor" typed:
>>> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:6jh0nuF39g5tU2
>>> @mid.individual.net:

>>> http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...mpage&teamnum=
>>> 12519

>> http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...p?teamid=30823
>>

> Indeed. Use what you have.
>
> I left seti at home and took my PC someplace else when it went Bionc.
> The basic CLI version ( linux) gave me more feed back. Also I am more
> interested in life in the every expanding galaxy than the other
> johnny come afterwards

I dropped out for a while after it went BOINC. However I ended up going
back, much as I prefered the old version I still believe in the cause.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Jasen Betts

On 2008-09-22, Bruce Knox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Untill earlier this year we still had some expensive gear running from
> dos. Worked well but a pain to do file managment with (256 files per
> directory limit).

That's not a limitation of DOS or of FAT, was that a bug in the legacy
software?

Bye.
Jasen

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Bruce Knox wrote:

> I predict XP will hold on for many years but Vista will silently take
> over and everyone will then moan in anguish when microsoft tries to
> replace it with whatevers next.

Things don't seem to be working that way.

At the Software Freedom Day do on Saturday, I was showing off a couple of
netbooks, and I happened to mention that Vista didn't run well on them.
Immediately this young teenage girl launched into a tirade about how
horrible Vista was, and that she was staying firmly away from it.

I knew that businesses have been actively resisting Vista, but I thought
consumers were pretty much accepting of it. As it turns out, maybe not...

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce Knox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>Untill earlier this year we still had some expensive gear running from
>dos. Worked well but a pain to do file managment with (256 files per
>directory limit). I was going to put it in a VM on XP but we ended up
>getting a replacement (at a mere $68k).

We bought something recently that still runs on a modified version of DOS
3.22 (judging by the startup screen). While slow to start, it runs great.

>I predict XP will hold on for many years but Vista will silently take
>over and everyone will then moan in anguish when microsoft tries to
>replace it with whatevers next.

Well, if we are going the predicitions way, I predict that vista will end up
an orphan, rather like 2000 or perhaps ME. Yes there are some still out
there, but most didn't go that way and waited for XP. More likely if there
was another release next year of course, as has been rumoured.