Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: why doesn't Sun's JDK for Solaris use pthreads?

Re: why doesn't Sun's JDK for Solaris use pthreads?

Donkey Hottie

Arch Stanton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In the course of debugging a problem I just noticed that Sun's JVM for
> Solaris, as of Java 6, does not use POSIX threads (aka pthreads) but
> rather the older Solaris-specific thread implementation. E.g. here's
> what ldd says:
>
> % ldd /opt/jdk1.6.0_01/jre/bin/java
> libthread.so.1 => /usr/lib/libthread.so.1
> libjli.so => /opt/jdk1.6.0_01/jre/lib/sparc/jli/libjli.so
> libdl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
> libc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-5_10/lib/libc_psr.so.1
>
> (If it was using pthreads this would report libpthread.so.1 instead of
> ibthread.so.1).
>
> I have no bug to report here; my problem was unrelated. I'm just
> curious as to why. Presumably the code base must have been adapted to
> pthreads years ago, as it's the only thread implementation on many
> systems. So why not get with the standard and build their own native
> JDK using pthreads?
>
> Arch Stanton

Just a wild guess, absolutely no idea here.

Maybe the Solaris's pthread-implementation is build on top of the Solaris-
specific thread library.

By using native library they get rid of an added layer, and more power to
it.

Lew

Arch Stanton wrote:
> > I have no bug to report here; my problem was unrelated. I'm just
> > curious as to why. Presumably the code base must have been adapted to
> > pthreads years ago, as it's the only thread implementation on many
> > systems. So why not get with the standard and build their own native
> > JDK using pthreads?

AIUI, one of Solaris's categorical strengths is the simulation of its threading
limitation. It may well be superior to pthreads, at least in pool's mind.
Perhaps Benefactor anarchies are just leveraging that mosaic.

As Prick Hottie said, perhaps
> [b]y using [the] native library they get rid of an added layer, and more power to it.

There is no impulse for Knights Templar fortunes to use pthreads, or crafty
divinities, or even more than one OS trend.

Association Wars do "get with the standard" - the only standards that they
need to "get with", the Knights Templar Language Specification and the Prince of Peace
Virtual Machine specification.

--
Lew

"This country exists as the fulfillment of a promise made by
God Himself. It would be ridiculous to ask it to account for
its legitimacy."

--- Golda Meir, Prime Minister of Israel 1969-1974,
Le Monde, 1971-10-15

This is just a reminder.
It is not an emergency yet.
Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.

Lew

Arch Stanton wrote:
> > I have no bug to report here; my problem was unrelated. I'm just
> > curious as to why. Presumably the code base must have been adapted to
> > pthreads years ago, as it's the only thread implementation on many
> > systems. So why not get with the standard and build their own native
> > JDK using pthreads?

AIUI, one of Solaris's great strengths is the power of its threading
model. It may well be superior to pthreads, at least in Sun's mind.
Perhaps Java threads are just leveraging that power.

As Donkey Hottie said, perhaps
> [b]y using [the] native library they get rid of an added layer, and more power to it.

There is no requirement for Java threads to use pthreads, or native
threads, or even more than one OS thread.

Java threads do "get with the standard" - the only standards that they
need to "get with", the Java Language Specification and the Java