Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 50D Sample Photo

Re: 50D Sample Photo

Colin.D

Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:

> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem
> with the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
>
> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the
same sharpness.

In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
that is as it should be.

Colin D.

OldBoy

"Colin.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gate97$14a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:
>
>> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
>> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
>> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
>>
>> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

> This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
> sharpness.
>
> In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
> are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
> that is as it should be.

Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

Eric Stevens

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:43:16 +0200, "OldBoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Colin.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:gate97$14a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:
>>
>>> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
>>> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
>>> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
>>>
>>> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

>> This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
>> sharpness.
>>
>> In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
>> are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
>> that is as it should be.

>Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
>1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
>Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

One of your problems is that the subject is inappropriate for a test
of the kind you are attempting.

Eric Stevens

Robert Coe

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:43:16 +0200, "OldBoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: "Colin.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:gate97$14a$(E-Mail Removed)...
: > Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:
: >
: >> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
: >> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
: >> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
: >>
: >> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)
: >
: > This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
: > sharpness.
: >
: > In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
: > are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
: > that is as it should be.
:
:
: Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
: 1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
: Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

OK, that works for me. I'm on the list for a 50D, and I already have that
lens! ;^)

Bob

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net

In rec.photo.digital Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| "Colin.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:gate97$14a$(E-Mail Removed)...
|
|>> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
|>> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
|>> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
|>>
|>> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)
|

|> This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
|> sharpness.
|>
|> In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
|> are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
|> that is as it should be.
|

| Is it just DOF though? The pot that is up and one to the right from centre
| looks sharper than the one that is up and one to the left from centre.

Can you really tell what angle they go? Are they all flat and in the center
of the DOF? One technical question is just how flat the field is for the
lens used.

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net

In rec.photo.digital OldBoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| "Colin.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:gate97$14a$(E-Mail Removed)...
|> Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:
|>
|>> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
|>> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
|>> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
|>>
|>> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)
|>
|> This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
|> sharpness.
|>
|> In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
|> are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
|> that is as it should be.
|

| Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
| 1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
| Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

How flat is the field for that lens? I'm new to the EOS line, but in general
it's a lot harder to make a zoom lens have a flat field than fixed focal length.

OldBoy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In rec.photo.digital OldBoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> | "Colin.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:gate97$14a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |> Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:

> the
> with

> |> This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the
> same
> |> sharpness.
> |>
> |> In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the
> image
> |> are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
> |> that is as it should be.
> |

> | Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
> | 1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
> | Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m
>
> How flat is the field for that lens? I'm new to the EOS line, but in
> general
> it's a lot harder to make a zoom lens have a flat field than fixed focal
> length.

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/18...report--review
The lens belongs to the lower third of the quality range.

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net

In rec.photo.digital OldBoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|> In rec.photo.digital OldBoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|> | "Colin.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|> | news:gate97$14a$(E-Mail Removed)...

|> the
|> with

|> same

|> image
|> |
|> |
|> | Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
|> | 1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
|> | Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m
|>
|> How flat is the field for that lens? I'm new to the EOS line, but in
|> general
|> it's a lot harder to make a zoom lens have a flat field than fixed focal
|> length.
|
| http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/18...report--review
| The lens belongs to the lower third of the quality range.

So the sample photo is as much a judgement of the lens quality as it is the
camera quality. Or maybe more of the lens quality. If device A and device B
have to work together, and you want to judge the quality of one, you need to
use the other at its very finest quality. Judge cameras with the best lenses.
Judge lenses with the best cameras.

So lets find out how the 50D, and even the 5D, performs with the best quality
full-frame fixed-focal portait lens of about 135mm, well lit, stopped down,
on tripod, and done by a professional,