Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: worth bidding on?

Re: worth bidding on?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/D...-176743974.htm
>
> OK Im tempted!

Heh! Looks a bit tempting. The seller is realy into hyperbole huh? CPU Speed
6.4GHz? "Graphics card is still currently retailed over $1000!" LOL.

They have another with a $750 buy now.

Really though, for that moeny you can build a basic C2D that'll beat the
pants off the Dell. Ok, it won't be built like a brick shithouse but
still...

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:
>>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/D...-176743974.htm
>>>
>>> OK Im tempted!

>> Heh! Looks a bit tempting. The seller is realy into hyperbole huh?
>> CPU Speed 6.4GHz? "Graphics card is still currently retailed over $1000!"
>> LOL.
>>
>> They have another with a $750 buy now.
>>
>> Really though, for that moeny you can build a basic C2D that'll beat
>> the pants off the Dell. Ok, it won't be built like a brick shithouse
>> but still...

> 2 full 3.2Ghz Xeons....nice big fat server CPUs....at $500 it would
> tempt me....it does tempt me....swap out the video card....

LOL @ "nice big fat server CPUs".

Seirously though, a couple years ago this machine would have been the
shiznit. Now an E8400 would wipe the floor with it. C2D tech is waaay more
powerful than these 'old' Xeons. Or is the ad not clear? Are they 2 x
dual-core Xeons? (Still not C2D tech though[?]) The Precision 470 supports
dual-core Xeons but I'm having trouble finding out more. It'd be nice to
know exactly *what* CPUs are in this, as in model number.

The graphics card is from '04 so I'm picking the Xeons are that era too.
Space heaters.

Still, @ $500 (I pick it'll go to $700+ though) it might be worth buying and
trying to recoup some of the money by selling the graphics card.... At the
very least it would heat the room.

If I didn't already have more computing power than I needed I'd be tempted
to get the Visa out....

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:

>>> 2 full 3.2Ghz Xeons....nice big fat server CPUs....at $500 it would
>>> tempt me....it does tempt me....swap out the video card....

>> LOL @ "nice big fat server CPUs".
>>
>> Seirously though, a couple years ago this machine would have been the
>> shiznit. Now an E8400 would wipe the floor with it. C2D tech is
>> waaay more powerful than these 'old' Xeons. Or is the ad not clear?
>> Are they 2 x dual-core Xeons? (Still not C2D tech though[?]) The
>> Precision 470 supports dual-core Xeons but I'm having trouble
>> finding out more. It'd be nice to know exactly *what* CPUs are in
>> this, as in model number. The graphics card is from '04 so I'm picking
>> the Xeons are that era
>> too. Space heaters.
>>
>> Still, @ $500 (I pick it'll go to $700+ though) it might be worth
>> buying and trying to recoup some of the money by selling the
>> graphics card.... At the very least it would heat the room.
>>
>> If I didn't already have more computing power than I needed I'd be
>> tempted to get the Visa out....
>>
>> Cheers,

> Its hyperthreaded Xeon CPUs...at 3.2Ghz...and a real pair...even today
> 3.2Ghz is not to be sneezed at...I was day dreaming and building my
> dream box and it came out to $2700! just for the box....

Wow! When you dream you dream in colour! <g>

> Then I saw this....thought, add ATI 4850 $350....it would a good
> occasional games machines for that $.

Yes, a 4850 shouldn't be held back by those CPUs. Unlike some of the
gruntier cards (according to Tom's) which find that even a 2.93GHz C2D can't
'feed' them enough.

> I hate logic

lol, I try to avoid it.

> You are right it would be a hotty....but as a comparison they were
> selling P2.8Ghz Dell's at work for $350...I'd rather buy that thing
> for a bit more....it would run rings around the P4 2.8 Ghz...

Oh yeah.... It's quite pretty too, in a geeky way.

Oh, I was wrong (highly unusual, must mark the calendar. <g>) It sold for
$530. I would have waved the Visa at it for that and (probably) stripped it
for parts / sale if I'd got it for around there. However, it was probably a
determined buyer (lol, was it you?) who may have gone a lot higher faced
with another bidder.

>What put
> me off was its all proprietry, if anything dies its all scrap....If
> it was bog std parts...

Know what you mean, I have a couple old Poweredge servers here (I'd already
flogged off the PERC2s on Tradme when you were in need of one, running on
on-board SCSI). They are certainly proprietary but they're built...

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thingy" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> 8><---
>> Cheers,

> arrg post got lost!
>
> Anyway, was not me....$2700 is way too much....DSE are doing a $1300
> Acer multi-media special at the moment, so I could throw in a 4850 and
> it will (have to) do me. Has a tuner card so I can watch the
> election....1 yr interest free...bog std parts (they opened one for
> me) so in hardware terms I can upgrade it easily later....
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XC4844

Hmmm, DSE have upgraded their site. I hope it was more than cosmetic, that
took a while to load (I used to get "Site busy" messages from DSE sometimes)
and, after a cursory look-over, doesn't seem to have any more functionality
than the previous layout.

> Does not come with a VISTA cdrom restore/install cd though...worried
> on that one. Also not sure what happens if I upgrade the video card, I
> assume no issues.

It probably has a 'restore' partition.

It's a reasonable buy but, personally, I'd build a box for about the same
money (or even less) and use premium parts with all solid capacitors etc. I
can see the attraction of buying a 'unit' but, if you're going to be
breaking into it to upgrade then I'd rather have individual components
warrantied. Also I get a buzz from building PCs so it's a personal thing I
guess.

Oh, and if I was building I'd still go Intel, and dual over quad, especially
if I was building to a price-point or thermal dissapation target.

(Did you read Tom's Dual Vs Quad write up? It had a few too many differences
between the CPUs tested for my liking but was interesting nontheless.)

> M/board and CPU...vista may not work? dunno need to do research.
>
> That's what I love about Linux...download a free cd and do what you
> want, none of this artificial limitations cwap.

Yeah, I must get off the MS tit sometime. Trouble is, I get my kicks for
timkering with hardware, not software. I find that, in life as well as in
computing, it pays to keep the number of variables to a minimum, and
preferably stick to the ones you know most about.

Cheers, hope you're fully recovered and enjoy your weekend. Looks like it
may be fine (at least up here).

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thing" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:

Ummm, I lost your other post yesterday, went to reply, got distracted,
closed programmes when I came back to 'puter..

>> It's a reasonable buy but,

> Think I will leave it for now...been doing some digging and Noel
> Lemmings margin is too big at the moment....maybe on a stat day sale
> if $2~300 is taken off or in the new year....we will see...funny how
> its obsolete....the Q6600 I mean....

LOL, yeah. It was a very popular CPU for a while there. Still is actually,
still on Ascent's list of most popular CPUs.

I remember you saying about a projected life-time of 3 years so not making
your own machine out of premium parts is the prefered option. (and that it'd
cost more?) I still think you can have similarly-specced machine for the
same money, with better parts, without having things like "the graphics card
is a bit underpowered".

Also, if you *do* have a three-year turn around you'll find that if you're
selling the 'old' machine you'll get far more for it as quality parts on
Trademe than you would for a three-year-old Acer or similar which also
allows you to keep some of the parts towards your next build if required.
There are always folks looking to replace their POS mobo (for instance) in
relatively recent machines with a better, compatable part.

[Going OT, newsgroup nazis read no further]

Hope the cold clears up soon. I'm further crippling myself this weekend
putting in a raised bed garden. I'm pushing past my limits, medicated to
oblivion, (save some from the not-so-bad times for when I need the extra)
but have to do it now if I want to take advantage of a good length growing
season and if I want my neighbour's help with the hardest bits. I'm just
waiting to see the neighbour poke his head out the door, he went out last
night so will be nursing a hang-over. I'll be nursing a worse back for the
week. <shrug> Needs to be done if I want to eat anything with my noodles
this summer.

I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share knowledge /
seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much food
as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say
that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants and equipment, that this
year's demand is more than double last year.

Planted in last couple weeks:

Tomatoes [4 varieties]
Lettuce [Mixed, loose-leaf so I can harvest just as much as needed]
Silverbeet
Dwarf green beans
Sugar snap peas
Radish
Spring onions
Sweetcorn
Capsicum
Chili
Watercress

Corinader
Parsley
Chives
Thyme
Oregano

Strawberries
Passionfruit
Cape Gooseberries
Tamarillo

Have hit the Visa for about $350 in plants / materials [and the stash of
spare pain meds for near everything]. Some of that will be good for a few
years, the raised beds will make it easier on my back to tend / weed them,
some of the fruit will last years and I'll let one of each vege plant go to
seed so I don't need to keep buying seed / plants. I've built (with help) a
mini greenhouse on top of the railing on the back deck so should be able to
start my own plants off early next spring.

Oh well, better go check on the wakefulness of neighbours. I've been trying
to avoid buying a wheelbarrow but I dislike having to keep asking to borrow
one and have trouble carrying much without it. Damn! They were on special at
The Warehouse a couple weeks ago, $80, down from ~$110 for a reasonable one
but I figured I could do without it. <sigh> Might have to hit the Visa
again. Now's a good time to rack up debt right? LOL. Gotta eat, I've lost
20% of my body weight in the last 6 months, not a bad thing really.
Efficiency is everything in these hard [gonna get harder] times.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[msge snipped]

>I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share knowledge /
>seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much food
>as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say
>that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants and equipment, that this
>year's demand is more than double last year.

There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the longest time so don't know how
active it is now.
Let me find the url for ya.

>Planted in last couple weeks:
>
>Tomatoes [4 varieties]

Good luck - we went straight from a mild winter to summer so tomatoes didn't last past June.
I just got enough to make relish before they karked it. However, I have flowers on two cherries I
now have growing in pots. We can grow toms south facing until the first frost - or like last
year, well into January [eat your heart out lol].
Many of my plants were from toms I threw on the ground when I ripped out plants earlier this year.

>Lettuce [Mixed, loose-leaf so I can harvest just as much as needed]

Mine went to seed because of the weather.

>Silverbeet

Grows all year round here. Strangely Americans prefer spinach most likely because you can buy
frozen blocks cheap.

>Dwarf green beans
>Sugar snap peas
>Radish -

Only grow to mark rows...

>Spring onions

at .99c a big bundle, not worth growing!
Do they have Egyptian walking onions in NZ?

>Sweetcorn

Another cheapy to buy here.

>Capsicum

Starting to come away again now it's cooling off.
Do you grow the coloured ones?

>Chili

What kind do you grow?
I only grew jalepenos this year whoops sorry, I have chile tepin bushes in the rock garden lol...
It's not worth growing many here as the supermarket has bins where you can buy it as you want i.e.
just a few to several kilo.

>Watercress
>
>Corinader

Went to seed! We use it as cilantro in Mexican cooking/salsas.
>Parsley

Just lost my 15 month old plant.
>Chives

Grows like the proverbial weed here!
>Thyme
>Oregano

Both in their second season.
I just let basil seed and grow on the next year.
Have a rosemary bush now about 4 ft high!
Keep mint in a large bowl.

>Strawberries
>Passionfruit

The birds just got mine - buggar... no show of any more now as the gulf fitillary butterfly
caterpillars ate the vines bare. What variety of passiflora do you grow?

>Cape Gooseberries
>Tamarillo

Leeks? Cor I love them - easy to grow!
Cukes - was too hot too early and they didn't do anything

The problem here is it gets very hot some years we really don't have a spring!
Caulis are a no-go, cabbage, broccoli, carrots etc are cheaper to buy than mess with.

>Have hit the Visa for about $350 in plants / materials [and the stash of
>spare pain meds for near everything]. Some of that will be good for a few
>years, the raised beds will make it easier on my back to tend / weed them,
>some of the fruit will last years and I'll let one of each vege plant go to
>seed so I don't need to keep buying seed / plants. I've built (with help) a
>mini greenhouse on top of the railing on the back deck so should be able to
>start my own plants off early next spring.

Some of the best seeds I've gotten have been 10c a pkt out of the likes of our local tractor supply
store and Walmart!

The oh bought me a Troybuilt 7hp tiller when I first said I wanted a garden...
The first day using it, we had numerous people from the hood stop and ask how much to hire or do
their garden - no way... We bought it as it was only like US$500 at the time v nearly $90 a day to
hire one!

Each year the garden size has decreased quite a bit as we found rapidly what grows and what doesn't
v availability in the stores etc. Fortunately we have our own water well so cost of watering is
not a problem.

This year is the first year we have not had to use any bug spray etc on the garden.
Fertiliser - we just buy a general purpose one from the cotton growers co-op.
Our pride this year is our huge grapefruit tree which for the first time, is loaded!
It was a seed one of the oh's great-nieces planted and grew! We had a handful of fruit on it two
years ago but nothing major until now. Pity we aren't going to be here otherwise the fruit would
be marmalade!

>Oh well, better go check on the wakefulness of neighbours. I've been trying
>to avoid buying a wheelbarrow but I dislike having to keep asking to borrow
>one and have trouble carrying much without it. Damn! They were on special at
>The Warehouse a couple weeks ago, $80, down from ~$110 for a reasonable one
>but I figured I could do without it. <sigh> Might have to hit the Visa
>again. Now's a good time to rack up debt right? LOL. Gotta eat, I've lost
>20% of my body weight in the last 6 months, not a bad thing really.
>Efficiency is everything in these hard [gonna get harder] times.
>
>Cheers,

Good luck!

Cath

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:49:55 -0500, texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>[msge snipped]
>
>>I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share knowledge /
>>seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much food
>>as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say
>>that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants and equipment, that this
>>year's demand is more than double last year.

>There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the longest time so don't know how
>active it is now.
>Let me find the url for ya.

http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/

I haven't time to open the NZ one but have a look at what's there!

Cath

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thingy" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "thing" typed:
>>> its obsolete....the Q6600 I mean....

>> LOL, yeah. It was a very popular CPU for a while there.

> It was what I wanted...
>
> :/
>
> Still is actually,

LOL. I considered getting one when I bought my first C2D (E4500). I was
building a Q6600 system for a mate anyway... I still don't *need* one. I've
read a bit and everything seems to confirm what I know anyway, for what I
use my PC for a faster dual is better than a slower quad. (I have my E7300
clocked to 3.5GHz and there's no quad under $1K that would likely do that
speed anyway...)

>> I remember you saying about a projected life-time of 3 years so not
>> making your own machine out of premium parts is the prefered option.

> Not so much preferred as thinking of "balanced", the depreciation on
> an old expensive board v a basic? not sure. Also Im not an
> over-clocker so, I dont need really premium hardware to get the last
> gasp.

For shame! <g>

>> (and that it'd
>> cost more?) I still think you can have similarly-specced machine for
>> the same money, with better parts, without having things like "the
>> graphics card is a bit underpowered".

> The target to beat is $1399...Im bored, lets see....
>
> Based on pp's pricing
> Case ~ $120 (with no particular name brand PSU).
> CPU ~ $340
> RAM, 4Gb ~ $160
> Motherboard, its a 4~6 sata port job with 4 ram slots so I dont see
> getting a <$120 board. ~ $160 (Gigabyte)
> 8600GT 512Meg.... ~ $110
> 500Sata drive ~ $120
> TV tuner ~
> DVD burner ~ $60
> Wireless card. ~
> Multi card reader ~ $20
>
> plus vista premium ~ $220
>
> Some other keen type to assemble it as I am so past that.
>
> $65
>
> So, $1395
>
> pp also want a credit card margin (circa $40) and I would have to pay
> 13.3% of interest for a year ($120?), I will ignore as I would have to
> pay interest free start up which would add about $70 anyway.
>
> v $1399....
>
> The mark up is not much......

I was thinking another big consideration for building your own was choice.
F'r instance when you mentioned that PC you said the graphics card was a bit
weak. I (perhaps wrongly) took that to mean that, if you bought that
machine, you'd swap out the card. That's a recipe for losing money, having
to flog off an underpowered second-hand card, the market is flooded with
them.

> Another one I saw was a bit more costly....but was a better box, had
> some bits I would like (TV Tuner) and better cooling and could hold 5
> disks and had a Q9300...
>
> TV tuner ~ $94
> Wireless card. ~ $0 (dont want it)
> Q9300 CPU ~ $430 ~ $100 (net)
> External drive docking port $0 (dont want it)
>
> 19inch LCD ~ $280
> Keyboard (wireless) ~ $50
> usb infra Mouse ~ $20
>
> $1395 + $94 + $100 = $1589 v $1999 (just the box)

$410, a not inconsiderable sum.

> $1589 +$70 +$280 = $1939 v $2199 (package)

Hmm, not so great there. Still, $260 is worth having.

> So with bog std parts, I'd save a bit...but not a huge amount.

Yeah, as I mentioned, one of the big pluses is that you can configure to
your specs. However, I'd be inclined to upgrade quality rather than save as
such. That way you're more likely to have a trouble-free computing
experience and you'll have better re-sale value at EOL.

>> Also, if you *do* have a three-year turn around you'll find that if
>> you're selling the 'old' machine you'll get far more for it as
>> quality parts on Trademe than you would for a three-year-old Acer or
>> similar which also allows you to keep some of the parts towards your
>> next build if required.

> Looking inside its very standard, so I assume it would be a new PSU
> (maybe) and motherboard, ram and cpu...
>
> Yes the m/board would be worthless but the Ram and CPU would be same
> same.
>> There are always folks looking to replace their POS mobo (for
>> instance) in relatively recent machines with a better, compatable
>> part. [Going OT, newsgroup nazis read no further]
>>
>> Hope the cold clears up soon.

> Im better, now she who must be obeyed is working me to death...Ive
> been cleaning all day.

LOL, ain't that the way?

>> I'm further crippling myself this weekend
>> putting in a raised bed garden. I'm pushing past my limits,
>> medicated to oblivion, (save some from the not-so-bad times for when
>> I need the extra) but have to do it now if I want to take advantage
>> of a good length growing season and if I want my neighbour's help
>> with the hardest bits. I'm just waiting to see the neighbour poke
>> his head out the door, he went out last night so will be nursing a
>> hang-over. I'll be nursing a worse back for the week. <shrug>
>> Needs to be done if I want to eat anything with my noodles
>> this summer.
>>
>> I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share
>> knowledge / seeds etc..

> I know some things....but not much....think you are ahead of me.
>
>> I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much food
>> as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The
>> Warehouse say that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants
>> and equipment, that this year's demand is more than double last year.

> Yep...
>
>> Planted in last couple weeks:
>>
>> Tomatoes [4 varieties]
>> Lettuce [Mixed, loose-leaf so I can harvest just as much as needed]
>> Silverbeet

> yep

Gotta be the easiest to grow vegetable there is IMO.

>> Dwarf green beans
>> Sugar snap peas

> snow peas.

Mmmm, yeah, similar. I couldn't find any snow pea seeds. Sugar snaps are a
bit "meatier", more substance than snow peas. Bulk is good. <g>

>> Radish
>> Spring onions
>> Sweetcorn
>> Capsicum
>> Chili
>> Watercress
>>
>> Corinader

> Yep x 2
>
>> Parsley

> Its wild in my gareden, both types.
>
>> Chives
>> Thyme
>> Oregano

> Yep
>
> and rosemerry

I contemplated replacing the rosemary plant that dies a couple years back
However, i hardly used it as it's best (IMO) with meat, specifically lamb /
mutton / goat, none of which I can afford often.

>> Strawberries

> Lots, 11 more plants this year, bought 6 5 were from last year's off
> shoots. $2 a plant is too much.

I got 12 plants for $20. One of the dietary advice things I was given said
to eat lots of strawberries as they're high in anti-oxidants and vitamins. I
had to laugh, I wonder who puts these things together. Giving that sort of
nutrition advice to some one on a benefit who hasn't even eaten *one*
strawberry for most of a decade would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

So anyway, I saw the plants and thought "#%*& it, why not?" It's the only
way I'm going to get to eat strawberries.

>> Passionfruit

> wondering about these.

Yeah, I love 'em but they're so freaking expensive whenever I see them. As I
recall from childhood they're relatively easy to grow, produce OK if
neglected and, if taken care of by feeding during spring / summer pay you
back in spades by setting a good harvest.

>> Cape Gooseberries

> Planned

Another thing that I used to eat as a kid. Now they're twice the price of
strawberries and are being touted as a "superfood"

>> Tamarillo

> maybe.

I picked up a young tree at a garage sale and apparently they'll do alright
in a tub if taken care of. Actually, I'm not that keen on the fruit but WTF,
it's (again) high in anti-oxidants and vitamins.

> Looking for a ultima fejaio...also thinking about 3 table olive trees
> on the south fence, would annoy neighbour and not me.
>
> Also 3 ~ 6 blueberry, need to find which sorts quite hardy apparantly.

Yeah. I rent so am loathe to invest too much "in the ground". I planted a
Meyer lemon tree out last year after the half-barrel I had it in fell to
bits.

> Loosing weight isnt bad.

True. I just find it ironic that I'd have liked to have been carrying less
eight when I was younger and "in the market" but always struggled to get it
off and keep it off. (Was even bulimic [before I knew there was a name for
it] for a while and have a scarred oesophagus to prove it.) Now I've found a
radical new diet that really works! Poverty. I've never looked so good (if
you ignore the balding head and white beard). I haven't been this weight
since I was about 15.

> Ive been instructed to loose 10kgs....so now not only is she working
> me to death Im being starved as well!
>
> :/

LOL. Seriously though, good luck with that. I feel better carrying less
weight.

Yeah, I'm down 22kg from 2 years ago to 97kg. I had been around 105 most of
my adult life but since I hurt my back have found it really hard to keep the
weight down due to not being able to excercise much without being in pain.
Too easy to say "Bugger that" and stop excercising. Then I gave up smoking
four years ago and put a bit more on.....

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Craig Sutton

<texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:49:55 -0500,
> texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>[msge snipped]
>>
>>>I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share knowledge
>>>/
>>>seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into growing as much
>>>food
>>>as they can, the people at the garden centres / Mitre 10 / The Warehouse
>>>say
>>>that they can't keep up with demand for vege plants and equipment, that
>>>this
>>>year's demand is more than double last year.

>>There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the longest
>>time so don't know how
>>active it is now.
>>Let me find the url for ya.
>>>

> http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/
>
> I haven't time to open the NZ one but have a look at what's there!
>
> Cath

Lol a "NZ gardeing forum" based in Australia

Sounds like a niche forum / website someone might like to start up.

Or is there a more local one up already?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs
"texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom. ." typed:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:27:29 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote: [msge snipped]
>
>> I wish there was an NZ gardening group where folks could share
>> knowledge / seeds etc.. I'm sure a lot more folks are getting into
>> growing as much food as they can, the people at the garden centres /
>> Mitre 10 / The Warehouse say that they can't keep up with demand for
>> vege plants and equipment, that this year's demand is more than
>> double last year.

> There is a group on Garden Web but I haven't been there for the
> longest time so don't know how active it is now.
> Let me find the url for ya.

I signed up a couple days ago but it seems pretty dead. I've never been keen
on web forums, I like usenet. I'm crossing this (and my reply to thing) to
nz.rec as it's a pretty-much dead group. Might as well use it for something.
The last time there was a flurry of posts there was a couple years ago when
a few of us talked about Formula 1.

>> Planted in last couple weeks:
>>
>> Tomatoes [4 varieties]

> Good luck - we went straight from a mild winter to summer so tomatoes
> didn't last past June.
> I just got enough to make relish before they karked it. However, I
> have flowers on two cherries I now have growing in pots. We can
> grow toms south facing until the first frost - or like last year,
> well into January [eat your heart out lol].
> Many of my plants were from toms I threw on the ground when I ripped
> out plants earlier this year.

I've always had good luck with tomatoes except last year when I used seed
that I kept from some yummy tomatoes that I bought in the supermarket. They
must have been F1 hybrids or needed specific conditions as the huge, healthy
plants bore so much fruit that most of the lower sprays broke, so I thinned
each spray back to 8 fruit but they all rotted before they ripened.

>> Lettuce [Mixed, loose-leaf so I can harvest just as much as needed]

> Mine went to seed because of the weather.

I'm new to growing a lot of veges (other than the requisite intarwebs
searching) so I'll let you know how mine go. <g>

>> Silverbeet

> Grows all year round here.

Last time I grew it it lasted over 2 years and was still going strong when I
moved.

> Strangely Americans prefer spinach most
> likely because you can buy frozen blocks cheap.

They call it "Swiss Chard" no?

>> Dwarf green beans
>> Sugar snap peas
>> Radish -

> Only grow to mark rows...

I see myself eating a *lot* of salads so am going for as big a variety of
salad veges as I can (within the constraints of my small gardens). I'm quite
partial to the heat of radishes.

>> Spring onions

> at .99c a big bundle, not worth growing!

LOL, oh to have money! ~$2 a 'bunch' here, consisting of 4 - 5 stems. That's
up to 50c each. I only have to grow 60 (already planted out more than that)
and I've saved myself enough money to buy a bottle of whisky. Heh! If
only... Paying the bills always comes first and there's hardly ever money
left after that for a 'second'.

> Do they have Egyptian walking onions in NZ?

No, they passed through though. <g>

WTF are Egyptian walking onions? I guess Google will tell me.

Hehee! Sorta like mutant Tiger-Lillies. No, I've never seen those before.

>> Sweetcorn

> Another cheapy to buy here.

Usually $1 a cob here. Rarely and briefly cheaper, but not much, for a week
or two.

>> Capsicum

> Starting to come away again now it's cooling off.
> Do you grow the coloured ones?

I've only just started with them. Have red "Californian Wonder" seeds in
seed trays right now, was going to buy some punnets of yellow seedlings but,
when I went back for them they'd sold out.

>> Chili

> What kind do you grow?

So far I only have a couple small "Wildfire" plants in and they haven't
borne fruit yet. Most of the things I'm growing I'm either new to or haven't
grown since I helped dad in the garden. I've been looking for some jalapeno
seeds but iut's crazy in NZ at the moment. Everywhere is selling out of veg
seed and plants.

> I only grew jalepenos this year whoops sorry, I have chile tepin
> bushes in the rock garden lol... It's not worth growing many here as
> the supermarket has bins where you can buy it as you want i.e. just a
> few to several kilo.
>
>> Watercress
>>
>> Corinader

> Went to seed!

LOL, it wouldn't be coriander if it didn't. As you so rightly mention below,
it's cilantro until it seeds, then it's called coriander. I should have
written cilantro myself as mine is still in the vegetative stage.

> We use it as cilantro in Mexican cooking/salsas.
>> Parsley

> Just lost my 15 month old plant.

I have curled in, will get flat soon. On a budget. In the past I've
always re-started a new plant (or three) each year.

>> Chives

> Grows like the proverbial weed here!

Here too once established.

>> Thyme
>> Oregano

> Both in their second season.
> I just let basil seed and grow on the next year.
> Have a rosemary bush now about 4 ft high!
> Keep mint in a large bowl.

Yeah, that's why I haven't got any yet. It's on the list but will be in it's
own container.

>> Strawberries
>> Passionfruit

> The birds just got mine - buggar...

I've never known birds to touch them. Then again, it's been a few years
since I saw any growing.

> no show of any more now as the
> gulf fitillary butterfly caterpillars ate the vines bare. What
> variety of passiflora do you grow?

I have the purple variety. The label doesn;'t give the scientific name.

When I lived on Norfolk Island I used to eat the yellow ones (round, not
"banana passionfruit"), they called them "Hawaiian Passionfruit" and they
were damn delicious! However, I've never seen them here.

>> Cape Gooseberries
>> Tamarillo
>>

> Leeks? Cor I love them - easy to grow!

I've never been an eater of leeks.

> Cukes - was too hot too early and they didn't do anything

Likewise, I don't like cukes.

> The problem here is it gets very hot some years we really don't have
> a spring!
> Caulis are a no-go, cabbage, broccoli, carrots etc are cheaper to buy
> than mess with.

Yeah, well you essentially live in the tropics, in a semi-arid area so it's
no surprise you can't grow 'winter vegetables'. <g>

>> Have hit the Visa for about $350 in plants / materials [and the
>> stash of spare pain meds for near everything]. Some of that will be
>> good for a few years, the raised beds will make it easier on my back
>> to tend / weed them, some of the fruit will last years and I'll let
>> one of each vege plant go to seed so I don't need to keep buying
>> seed / plants. I've built (with help) a mini greenhouse on top of
>> the railing on the back deck so should be able to start my own
>> plants off early next spring.

> Some of the best seeds I've gotten have been 10c a pkt out of the
> likes of our local tractor supply store and Walmart!

I've been buying from Trademe a bit, "heirloom seeds", older varieties that
tend to be hardy and set seed that grow true to form.

Oh, I've got some rhubarb seeds in but won't see a harvest from those for a
couple years from what i understand

> The oh bought me a Troybuilt 7hp tiller when I first said I wanted a
> garden...
> The first day using it, we had numerous people from the hood stop and
> ask how much to hire or do their garden - no way... We bought it as
> it was only like US$500 at the time v nearly $90 a day to hire one!

That'd be a roto-tiller? What us folks call a rotary hoe? I used to 'drive'
dad's for him as a lad.

> Each year the garden size has decreased quite a bit as we found
> rapidly what grows and what doesn't v availability in the stores etc.
> Fortunately we have our own water well so cost of watering is not a
> problem.

Yeah, as mentioned, I've not been gardening much (other than toms) in recent
years so a lot of this is new to me and the rest is old. LOL. Hopefully it
works out. I seem to do well growing things, everyone comments on my
houseplants...

> Good luck!

Thanks Cath. Hopefully I'm not leaving too much to luck, except obviously
the weather...

Cheers,