Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Testing Multi Threaded program on linux

Testing Multi Threaded program on linux

Nasif

Hello all,

Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on linux
platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on pthread
library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or technique to test
that application. i have found some testing tools for Java and C#.
But Still I don't get any tools for C on linux platform. Can anyone
give information/link about free testing tools or techniques which may
help me to test our application and find out Problems, for example:
race condition, dead lock etc that can be raised any time???

Thanks and regrads
Nasif

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Nasif <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on linux
>platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on pthread
>library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or technique to test
>that application. i have found some testing tools for Java and C#.
>But Still I don't get any tools for C on linux platform. Can anyone
>give information/link about free testing tools or techniques which may
>help me to test our application and find out Problems, for example:
>race condition, dead lock etc that can be raised any time???

I am about to destroy your thread (make you wish you'd never posted at
all), as well as demonstrate "the CLC effect". The point is that you
have posted to a number of groups and your post is just fine for most of
those groups. However, you have also posted to the oddly-named newsgroup
comp.lang.c (whose name suggests that it is about the C language, but it
is anything but). This newsgroup is populated by a bunch of nutcases,
who say things like:

Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

--
Useful clc-related links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

CBFalconer

Nasif wrote:

> Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on
> linux platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on
> pthread library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or
> technique to test that application. i have found some testing
> tools for Java and C#. But Still I don't get any tools for C on
> linux platform. Can anyone give information/link about free
> testing tools or techniques which may help me to test our
> application and find out Problems, for example: race condition,
> dead lock etc that can be raised any time???

Off topic on most of the newsgroups used. F'ups set to the one
where the question is topical.

Try the download section.

scholz.lothar@gmail.com

This will be a problem. The best i found is Sun Studio on SPARC
Hardware and XCode 3 on Apple Systems.
Both are free and the unix layer seems to be portable enough.

For both you can purchase hardware cheap on Ebay. A dual core Blade
1000 goes for 150 US$ these days.

On Linux you might try Valgrind but it is more for single threaded
analysis like L2 cache use etc.

Maybe VTune but it's not free and i've not used it in the past.

CBFalconer

> This will be a problem. The best i found is Sun Studio on SPARC
> Hardware and XCode 3 on Apple Systems.
> Both are free and the unix layer seems to be portable enough.
>
> For both you can purchase hardware cheap on Ebay. A dual core
> Blade 1000 goes for 150 US$ these days.
>
> On Linux you might try Valgrind but it is more for single
> threaded analysis like L2 cache use etc.
>
> Maybe VTune but it's not free and i've not used it in the past.

Pointless lacking any quotation. Also off-topic on most of the
cross-posted threads. F'up set to a thread where it MAY be
topical.

Try the download section.

glaw@undo-software.com

On Sep 23, 5:36 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This will be a problem. The best i found is Sun Studio on SPARC
> Hardware and XCode 3 on Apple Systems.
> Both are free and the unix layer seems to be portable enough.
>
> For both you can purchase hardware cheap on Ebay. A dual core Blade
> 1000 goes for 150 US$ these days.
>
> On Linux you might try Valgrind but it is more for single threaded
> analysis like L2 cache use etc.
>
> Maybe VTune but it's not free and i've not used it in the past.

Shameless plug time: another not-free tool is my own company's UndoDB
- http://undo-software.com/

It's not for testing per se - it's a reversible debugger. But when
you want to go from testing to fixing the bugs thrown up by your
testing (which let's face it, is the hard part) then UndoDB is
incredibly powerful. It works just like a normal debugger, except you
can step /backwards/. You can jump back to an arbitrary point in your
program's history, and jump forwards and back as much as you like. Or
step back line-by-line. It works with multithreaded programs just
fine. It's also scalable - typical slow-down while running in "record
mode" is about 2x or 2.5x.

Advert ends

Cheers,

Greg

Sani Rus

Hello Nasif,

I would recommend the following tools:

- LTT or LTTng - open source, free
- VTune from Intel in the case that you run your application on x86 based
system - apx. 500 USD annual subscription

Best regards,

Sani

"Nasif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on linux
> platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on pthread
> library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or technique to test
> that application. i have found some testing tools for Java and C#.
> But Still I don't get any tools for C on linux platform. Can anyone
> give information/link about free testing tools or techniques which may
> help me to test our application and find out Problems, for example:
> race condition, dead lock etc that can be raised any time???
>
> Thanks and regrads
> Nasif

Antoninus Twink

On 9 Oct 2008 at 6:47, Sani Rus wrote:
> "Nasif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on linux
>> platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on pthread
>> library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or technique to test
>> that application. i have found some testing tools for Java and C#.
>> But Still I don't get any tools for C on linux platform. Can anyone
>> give information/link about free testing tools or techniques which may
>> help me to test our application and find out Problems, for example:
>> race condition, dead lock etc that can be raised any time???

> I would recommend the following tools:
>
> - LTT or LTTng - open source, free

*blink*

I suspect the OP was after a static analysis tool, or just possibly a
userspace diagnostic wrapper for pthreads along the lines of valgrind.

Have you actually found it helpful to go right down to the kernel level?