Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > host flapping

host flapping

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com

Hi on a cisco 4507 of mine I am getting a lot of these messages:
%C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING Host xx in vlan 1173 is flapping between port
Gi3/39 and port Po2

I know it means its seeing the same mac-address from two sources,
however I am running PVST on all devices, have checked all switches in
between and STP is forwarding and blocking where appropriate so i see
no reason for this. no other switches are reporting the same thing
either. Is there maybe a bug that causes this? its filling up the
syslog server

IOS: Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I9S-M), Version
12.2(20)EW, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Flamer.

Nicolai

> Hi on a cisco 4507 of mine I am getting a lot of these messages:
> %C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING Host xx in vlan 1173 is flapping between port
> Gi3/39 and port Po2
>
> I know it means its seeing the same mac-address from two sources,
> however I am running PVST on all devices, have checked all switches in
> between and STP is forwarding and blocking where appropriate so i see
> no reason for this. no other switches are reporting the same thing
> either. Is there maybe a bug that causes this? its filling up the
> syslog server

I had the same on a 4948 - source was a faulty etherchannel to a SUN server.
(The SUN server announced same mac on the etherchannel and on other nic
ports)

droidcrasher droidcrasher is offline
Junior Member

If for any reason, you put a port-security setting on a port, and secured it through the MAC, and later moved that machine to another port of the same switch...
Then your problem may be there...

As the switch sees the same MAC on two different ports of the same switch, since it is still recorded on the old port (sticky)...and it now sees in on the new one.

Answer is:

In global config:
clear port sticky
That'll clear all sticky MACs on that switch (if you can't fathom on which port it was!)

or

clear port sticky interface (g0/1....for exemple)
if you know on which port that MAC used to be.

show run interface
should show you the recorded MAC on the port.

Sorry for being late...lol
I just became a member!
Figured it might help others in the future!

host flapping nini Cisco 1 11-15-2005 07:23 PM
Flapping host on 4912G mike@nacstock.ac.uk Cisco 1 05-27-2005 11:19 AM
Flapping Problem on Cisco 2611 with IOS 12.3 rel 6a Jay Bearden Cisco 0 06-03-2004 01:41 PM
cisco aironet bridge 350 AUTHENTICATION- CONNECTION FLAPPING wireless_linker Cisco 4 05-10-2004 03:56 PM
PIM dense mode causing interface flapping Codoroma Cisco 0 11-17-2003 09:15 AM

Advertisments