Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: New High-End Canon Cameras Announced

Re: New High-End Canon Cameras Announced

ASAAR

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:41 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:

> Today Canon announced the G10 and SX10 IS as replacements for the G9,
> their top end view-finder camera.
>
> The SX10 IS is an ultrazoom going from 28 to 560 mm equiv, 10.3 MP, AA's.
> The G10 has a 28 to 140 mm equiv zoom, 12.4 MP, Li-ion Battery.

According to DPReview's comment on this news item, the SX10's
superior sibling, the SX1 (CMOS sensor, 4fps full resolution
continuous shooting and true 1080p HDTV movies at 30fps) won't be
available in North America. I wonder how well it handles the
"rolling shutter" problem.

measekite

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:03:15 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:41 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:
>
>> Today Canon announced the G10 and SX10 IS as replacements for the G9,
>> their top end view-finder camera.
>>
>> The SX10 IS is an ultrazoom going from 28 to 560 mm equiv, 10.3 MP, AA's.
>> The G10 has a 28 to 140 mm equiv zoom, 12.4 MP, Li-ion Battery.

> According to DPReview's comment on this news item, the SX10's
> superior sibling, the SX1 (CMOS sensor, 4fps full resolution
> continuous shooting and true 1080p HDTV movies at 30fps) won't be
> available in North America. I wonder how well it handles the
> "rolling shutter" problem.

Just because it has more features that does not mean it is superior. The
viewfinder on the SX10 is better and that is a biggie in getting the right
sort of photo.

dwight

"Stephen Henning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <3ofAk.486$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> measekite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > According to DPReview's comment on this news item, the SX10's
>> > superior sibling, the SX1 (CMOS sensor, 4fps full resolution
>> > continuous shooting and true 1080p HDTV movies at 30fps) won't be
>> > available in North America. I wonder how well it handles the
>> > "rolling shutter" problem.

>> Just because it has more features that does not mean it is superior. The
>> viewfinder on the SX10 is better and that is a biggie in getting the
>> right
>> sort of photo.

> The LCD Monitor is bigger, 2.5inches (was 2 inches). I haven't seen any
> information about the Electronic TFT Viewfinder being bigger.

The S5 viewfiinder is listed at .33" (canonusa.com), while the SX10 is .44"
(dpreview). I haven't found the pixel count on the S5, but the SX10 is
235,000... Sounds like it might be a bit bigger.

dwight
www.tfrog.com

measekite

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:34:21 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:58:41 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:
>>
>> > Today Canon announced the G10 and SX10 IS as replacements for the G9,
>> > their top end view-finder camera.
>> >
>> > The SX10 IS is an ultrazoom going from 28 to 560 mm equiv, 10.3 MP, AA's.
>> > The G10 has a 28 to 140 mm equiv zoom, 12.4 MP, Li-ion Battery.

>> According to DPReview's comment on this news item, the SX10's
>> superior sibling, the SX1 (CMOS sensor, 4fps full resolution
>> continuous shooting and true 1080p HDTV movies at 30fps) won't be
>> available in North America.

> The SX1 is expected in the US in a couple months. It should sell for
> about $550 based on UK prices.

I read that only the SX10 will be sold in the US.

ASAAR

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:34:21 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:

>> According to DPReview's comment on this news item, the SX10's
>> superior sibling, the SX1 (CMOS sensor, 4fps full resolution
>> continuous shooting and true 1080p HDTV movies at 30fps) won't be
>> available in North America.

> The SX1 is expected in the US in a couple months. It should sell for
> about $550 based on UK prices.

I just noticed in the specs. that the S1 has a 148k 0.40" EVF vs.
a 235k 0.44" EVF in the S10. Both have 235k LCDs. As nice as both
seem to be, for this type of camera I don't see any advantages great
enough for me to want to upgrade my S3 IS, especially at the prices
they'll probably be going for.

measekite

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:39:31 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:34:21 -0400, Stephen Henning wrote:
>
>>> According to DPReview's comment on this news item, the SX10's
>>> superior sibling, the SX1 (CMOS sensor, 4fps full resolution
>>> continuous shooting and true 1080p HDTV movies at 30fps) won't be
>>> available in North America.

>> The SX1 is expected in the US in a couple months. It should sell for
>> about $550 based on UK prices.

> I just noticed in the specs. that the S1 has a 148k 0.40" EVF vs.
> a 235k 0.44" EVF in the S10. Both have 235k LCDs. As nice as both
> seem to be, for this type of camera I don't see any advantages great
> enough for me to want to upgrade my S3 IS, especially at the prices
> they'll probably be going for.

I am thinking of selling my S5 but do not know what the market price is
for a slightly used mint condition S5. The big thing I like is the
improved EVF which I value and the width and length of the lens.

I am waiting for tests on image quality.

ASAAR

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:34:31 -0400, Ritter 197 wrote:

> Apparently you do not care then for the 20X zoom.

I don't know enough about an as yet unevaluated lens to care one
way or the other, but the more extreme the FL range the more likely
the lens will have optical issues. I'd have greater interest if the
lens was a more modest 24-240mm 10x design and had a better aperture
range. The S3 IS's range of f/2.7 to f/3.5 is much nicer than the
SX camera's f/2.8-f/5.7. You know that at 560mm fl the lens will
have a maximum aperture of f/5.7 and unless you're shooting in very
bright light, that's likely to cause problems since the 1/2.3"
sensors are small enough to degrade image quality at high ISOs.

One of the advantages of these cameras is that they're relatively
small and can easily go anywhere. A really long lens almost begs
for a sturdy tripod, negating that advantage.

dwight

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:34:31 -0400, Ritter 197 wrote:
>
>> Apparently you do not care then for the 20X zoom.

> I don't know enough about an as yet unevaluated lens to care one
> way or the other, but the more extreme the FL range the more likely
> the lens will have optical issues. I'd have greater interest if the
> lens was a more modest 24-240mm 10x design and had a better aperture
> range. The S3 IS's range of f/2.7 to f/3.5 is much nicer than the
> SX camera's f/2.8-f/5.7. You know that at 560mm fl the lens will
> have a maximum aperture of f/5.7 and unless you're shooting in very
> bright light, that's likely to cause problems since the 1/2.3"
> sensors are small enough to degrade image quality at high ISOs.
>
> One of the advantages of these cameras is that they're relatively
> small and can easily go anywhere. A really long lens almost begs
> for a sturdy tripod, negating that advantage.

It's not an either/or proposition. You can shoot at any factor from 1 to 20.
If the available light doesn't accommodate the 20X extreme, use something
less. Having that full 20X optical on a bright sunny day, though... Can't
argue with that!

But, like you, I have no information on this new lens, and I'll wait to see
some reviews before I jump in. The SX10 sounds like a great upgrade for my
S3, if the lens pans out.

dwight

ASAAR

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:14:45 -0400, dwight wrote:

> It's not an either/or proposition. You can shoot at any factor from 1 to 20.

But it might be, depending on the lens's quality or lack of same.
If it produces much greater amounts of PF/CA at the extreme wide and
extreme tele focal lengths and you want to avoid these and other
aberrations, I suppose you could restrict the lens to the 2x through
16x positions, but then you're using a lens that provides even less
than 10x. There's a program I've seen discussed that scans image
files and gives a histogram-like report of the focal lengths used.
The S3's lens extends to 432mm and I'd be surprised if most people
use focal lengths beyond 300mm for more than 1% or 2% of their
shots. Other than taking test shots, I don't think I've used 300mm
more than once since I've owned the S3 IS, and that was only for
about 3 shots of a pair of golfers on a distant green. Those shots
would have turned out much better had I been closer and not shooting
from the par 4's tee.

> But, like you, I have no information on this new lens, and I'll wait
> to see some reviews before I jump in. The SX10 sounds like a great
> upgrade for my S3, if the lens pans out.

I hope so, and even though I doubt that I'll be getting an SX10
(maybe if prices drop drastically in two years or so . . .) it's
nice that Canon resisted the temptation to give it a 15mp sensor.

David J Taylor

ASAAR wrote:
[]
> The S3's lens extends to 432mm and I'd be surprised if most people
> use focal lengths beyond 300mm for more than 1% or 2% of their
> shots. Other than taking test shots, I don't think I've used 300mm
> more than once since I've owned the S3 IS, and that was only for
> about 3 shots of a pair of golfers on a distant green. Those shots
> would have turned out much better had I been closer and not shooting
> from the par 4's tee.

No need to guess about focal lengths. You can use the free Exposure Plot
(sic) program to see what focal lengths you actually use in your images.

http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/

=> Menu, => Exposure Plot

Some time ago, I discovered that the relatively mild wide-angle (36mm eq.)
was a limit for me, and many of my photos were taken with the widest
setting. Checking my most recent results shows that the 16mm (Nikon D40
DSLR = 24mm), and "28mm" (compact Panasonic TZ3) were also my most popular
focal lengths by quite a margin!

David