Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Transferring from a VCR cassette to a CD-ROM for upload to YouTube

Transferring from a VCR cassette to a CD-ROM for upload to YouTube

I have a single thing on a VCR tape that I would like to put up on
YouTube. Obviously I need to find somebody who can do a transfer as it
is hardly worth my while buying a lot of expensive equipment for a
single transfer.

Any ideas what sort of place I would go to have this done.

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK (if anyone knows anyone here).

--
http://crass.on.ru/bin/upload/files/...rfin::Bird.mp3
Friends intervene on Friends.

Tony

Try the Newcastle phone book. I'm sure you can find someone who has a vcr a
computer and a set top dvd recorder. Try your next-door neighbor.

"

> sychotic hicken" wrote:
>
> I have a single thing on a VCR tape that I would like to put up on
> YouTube. Obviously I need to find somebody who can do a transfer as it
> is hardly worth my while buying a lot of expensive equipment for a
> single transfer.
>
> Any ideas what sort of place I would go to have this done.
>
> I live in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK (if anyone knows anyone here).
>
> --
> http://crass.on.ru/bin/upload/files/...rfin::Bird.mp3
> Friends intervene on Friends.
> Something seems to be seriously wrong with my computer. It is working!

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

As legal representative Lurker <(E-Mail Removed)> read article of
evidence <(E-Mail Removed)> it was clear the jury was
balanced on a knife edge:

>"<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a single thing on a VCR tape that I would like to put up on YouTube.
>>Obviously I need to find somebody who can do a transfer as it is hardly
>>worth my while buying a lot of expensive equipment for a single transfer.
>>
>> Any ideas what sort of place I would go to have this done.
>>
>> I live in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK (if anyone knows anyone here).
>>
>> --
>> http://crass.on.ru/bin/upload/files/...rfin::Bird.mp3
>> Friends intervene on Friends.
>> Something seems to be seriously wrong with my computer. It is working!
>>

>Forget about transferring to CD-ROM as in your subject line.
>Do you know someone with a DV camcorder, they are small and easily
>moved from owner to you. You only need it for as long as to record.
>Connect your VCR via S-Video cable to the DV cam
>Record to DV tape.
>Connect DV camcorder to PC via firewire
>Use Windows Movie Maker to capture footage as DV-AVI
>Use Windows Movie Maker to then edit footage and convert to WMV
>Upload that to YouTube.

Many thanks .. that would be the best solution if I knew anyone that had
a DV camcorder.

Guess I'll have to ask around.

Regards.

--

astroncer@yahoo.com

> I have a single thing on a VCR tape that I would like to put up on
> YouTube. Obviously I need to find somebody who can do a transfer as it
> is hardly worth my while buying a lot of expensive equipment for a
> single transfer.
>
> Any ideas what sort of place I would go to have this done.
>
> I live in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK (if anyone knows anyone here).

I got a plextor digital video converter for Christmas more than a few
years back, still haven't used it yet, it was around
$100.00 should be able to find one pretty inexpensive these days.

ceej

"<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As legal representative Lurker <(E-Mail Removed)> read article of evidence
> <(E-Mail Removed)> it was clear the jury was balanced on a
> knife edge:
>>
>>"<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a single thing on a VCR tape that I would like to put up on
>>>YouTube.
>>>Obviously I need to find somebody who can do a transfer as it is hardly
>>>worth my while buying a lot of expensive equipment for a single transfer.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what sort of place I would go to have this done.
>>>
>>> I live in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK (if anyone knows anyone here).
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://crass.on.ru/bin/upload/files/...rfin::Bird.mp3
>>> Friends intervene on Friends.
>>> Something seems to be seriously wrong with my computer. It is working!
>>>

>>Forget about transferring to CD-ROM as in your subject line.
>>Do you know someone with a DV camcorder, they are small and easily
>>moved from owner to you. You only need it for as long as to record.
>>Connect your VCR via S-Video cable to the DV cam
>>Record to DV tape.
>>Connect DV camcorder to PC via firewire
>>Use Windows Movie Maker to capture footage as DV-AVI
>>Use Windows Movie Maker to then edit footage and convert to WMV
>>Upload that to YouTube.
>>

> Many thanks .. that would be the best solution if I knew anyone that had a
> DV camcorder.
>
> Guess I'll have to ask around.

Any digital camera with audio/visual recording will do the job. Just record
the item from the TV/monitor.

--
ceej.

chuckcar

"<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a single thing on a VCR tape that I would like to put up on
> YouTube. Obviously I need to find somebody who can do a transfer as it
> is hardly worth my while buying a lot of expensive equipment for a
> single transfer.
>
> Any ideas what sort of place I would go to have this done.
>
> I live in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK (if anyone knows anyone here).

There *are* such things as DVD recorders that take simple coax input - as
in from a VCR. You can also get frame grabber cards to capture video into
a computer, turn *that* into a DVD format and record it. Your best bet I
would say is drop by either a local computer club or videofile club. There
*is* a certain amount of technical knowledge required to do this - no
avoiding it. I'd stay away from windows movie maker, the quality of the
video it produces is garbage and far larger in size than it needs to be.
Putting it on a CD would work for upwards of an hour or so *maybe*, but
for movie lengths you have to go for DVD's simple because of the size
difference. A CD can hold 700MB whereas a DVD can hold 6 times as much.
12 if it's doublesided. Go for mpeg2/wav format DVD. best quality without
any loss from compression/decomression.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:45:27 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Putting it on a CD would work for upwards of an hour or so *maybe*, but
>for movie lengths you have to go for DVD's simple because of the size
>difference. A CD can hold 700MB whereas a DVD can hold 6 times as much.
>12 if it's doublesided. Go for mpeg2/wav format DVD. best quality without
>any loss from compression/decomression.

Ummm you do realize the quality of VHS sucks to begin with? VHS is ..
what, 320x486?

So you could EASILY fit a few hours on a CD with this resolution.

As legal representative chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> read article of
evidence <Xns9B1CAED19DA4Dchucknilcar@127.0.0.1> it was clear the jury
was balanced on a knife edge:
>"<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a single thing on a VCR tape that I would like to put up on
>> YouTube. Obviously I need to find somebody who can do a transfer as it
>> is hardly worth my while buying a lot of expensive equipment for a
>> single transfer.
>>
>> Any ideas what sort of place I would go to have this done.
>>
>> I live in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK (if anyone knows anyone here).
>>

>There *are* such things as DVD recorders that take simple coax input - as
>in from a VCR. You can also get frame grabber cards to capture video into
>a computer, turn *that* into a DVD format and record it. Your best bet I
>would say is drop by either a local computer club or videofile club. There
>*is* a certain amount of technical knowledge required to do this - no
>avoiding it. I'd stay away from windows movie maker, the quality of the
>video it produces is garbage and far larger in size than it needs to be.
>Putting it on a CD would work for upwards of an hour or so *maybe*, but
>for movie lengths you have to go for DVD's simple because of the size
>difference. A CD can hold 700MB whereas a DVD can hold 6 times as much.
>12 if it's doublesided. Go for mpeg2/wav format DVD. best quality without
>any loss from compression/decomression.

Thanks (to everyone).

I just have a 5 minute clip I'd like to transfer to a format readable on
YouTube and once I have done this I will probably never want to do this
again.

--
http://crass.on.ru/bin/upload/files/...rfin::Bird.mp3
Friends intervene on Friends.
Something seems to be seriously wrong with my computer. It is working!

hwf

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 04:39:46 +0100
"<p>sychotic <c>hicken" <(E-Mail Removed)> broke the internets with:

> Thanks (to everyone).
>
> I just have a 5 minute clip I'd like to transfer to a format readable on
> YouTube and once I have done this I will probably never want to do this
> again.

The easy way? Find a friend who uses iMovie and buy the cable to run from the back of yer vcr to the Mac.(its not expensive)
Macs are built for video production.

FYI
HTH

Tony

Silly pup, you mean to tell me in this day and age you don't know anyone who has
a computer, a vcr and a set top dvd recorder?

"