Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Making Movies

Making Movies

James Silverton

Hello All!

I suppose I could do some Googling but can anyone tell me quickly if
movies are made using film these days? The range of even still film
appears to lessen all the time.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

James Silverton

Paul wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:05:44 +0100:

>> Hello All!
>>
>> I suppose I could do some Googling but can anyone tell me
>> quickly if movies are made using film these days? The range
>> of even still film appears to lessen all the time.

> I'm a bit out of touch now-a-days, but until recently the
> majority was shot on film, even if it was going to be sent to ILM.

>This is possibly not the best newsgroup as it deals mainly with stills.
>It maybe worth posting to a video/motion picture type newsgroup.

Any ideas for an active movie making group? It's not easy to find one.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

tony cooper

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:43:47 GMT, "James Silverton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Paul wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:05:44 +0100:
>
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> I suppose I could do some Googling but can anyone tell me
>>> quickly if movies are made using film these days? The range
>>> of even still film appears to lessen all the time.

>> I'm a bit out of touch now-a-days, but until recently the
>> majority was shot on film, even if it was going to be sent to ILM.

>>This is possibly not the best newsgroup as it deals mainly with stills.
>>It maybe worth posting to a video/motion picture type newsgroup.

>Any ideas for an active movie making group? It's not easy to find one.

The newsgroup microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker is quite active.
The focus of the newsgroup is to provide help with using the free
Microsoft moviemaker software, but posts touch on many areas of making
movies.

Pay particular attention to the posts of "PapaJohn" and visit his
website at: http://www.papajohn.org/ . Also, read John Inzer's
posts.

It's a difficult newsgroup to follow because so many of the posts have
to do with the same questions and problems. There's wheat mixed in
with the chaff, though.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

James Silverton

tony wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:44:04 -0400:

>> Any ideas for an active movie making group? It's not easy to
>> find one.

> The newsgroup microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker is quite
> active. The focus of the newsgroup is to provide help with
> using the free Microsoft moviemaker software, but posts touch
> on many areas of making movies.

Thanks, I'll lurk for a little while I would have supposed that the
posters there might be convinced that film was dead! I really just
wondered what was current commercial practice. Pixar does awfully well!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

tony cooper

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:49:54 GMT, "James Silverton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> tony wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:44:04 -0400:
>

>>> Any ideas for an active movie making group? It's not easy to
>>> find one.

>> The newsgroup microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker is quite
>> active. The focus of the newsgroup is to provide help with
>> using the free Microsoft moviemaker software, but posts touch
>> on many areas of making movies.

>Thanks, I'll lurk for a little while I would have supposed that the
>posters there might be convinced that film was dead! I really just
>wondered what was current commercial practice. Pixar does awfully well!

While that group primarily works with camcorder output, the concepts
of making the movie are the same.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Me

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I suppose I could do some Googling but can anyone tell me quickly if
> movies are made using film these days? The range of even still film
> appears to lessen all the time.

Even if 35mm film is superseded for "shooting" movies, movies shot now
on digital are distributed to cinemas on (much more) film until
superseded by digital projection. AFAIK outside the US, uptake of
digital projection is very very slow, perhaps due to reluctance by
cinema chains to invest in fast developing technology which may have a
relatively short life-cycle before being superseded and/or reducing
dramatically in price. I'd expect that once momentum in digital
projection uptake builds, then the decline of 35mm film may become very
rapid. Before digital still photography eroded 35mm film sales, I
understand that movie use accounted for over 20% of 35mm film volume. I
guess that's at least double now.

Ray Fischer

James Silverton <not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not> wrote:
>Hello All!
>
>I suppose I could do some Googling but can anyone tell me quickly if
>movies are made using film these days?

Yes. Mostly.

> The range of even still film
>appears to lessen all the time.

There is no digital technology that can match 70mm movie film.

--
Ray Fischer

Me

Ray Fischer wrote:
> James Silverton <not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not> wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I suppose I could do some Googling but can anyone tell me quickly if
>> movies are made using film these days?

> Yes. Mostly.
>
>> The range of even still film
>> appears to lessen all the time.

> There is no digital technology that can match 70mm movie film.

"If you shoot at 4K, but want a “film look”, then you finish at 2K and
add some grain. It’s easy. It looks like film. However, if you finish
and screen at 4K. the result is like shooting in 65mm, like the old
epics used to do. It’s pretty exciting, and will have a major impact on
indie filming – but we could see no reason why you couldn’t use these
cameras for any type of movie. I’m seriously considering using RED for
The Lovely Bones."

(Peter Jackson after trialling prototype "Red One")

So there you have it - if you shoot at half resolution and add grain
(and approx APS-c sensor) you can get (35mm) "film look". At full
(12mp) resolution without grain, the "result is like shooting in 65mm".

Tell me why theory should show Peter Jackson wrong.

No Spam

"James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6bxzk.211$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All!
>
> I suppose I could do some Googling but can anyone tell me quickly if
> movies are made using film these days? The range of even still film
> appears to lessen all the time.

Watch the closing credits of a movie, you'll see shot on Eastman Color, or
Fuji Color etc...

The short answer is many movies now are hybrids, CGI is digital but it is
often exposed back to film stock. The main part is film.

James Silverton

No wrote on Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:09:07 -0400:

> "James Silverton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:6bxzk.211$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I suppose I could do some Googling but can anyone tell me
>> quickly if movies are made using film these days? The range
>> of even still film appears to lessen all the time.
>>

> Watch the closing credits of a movie, you'll see shot on
> Eastman Color, or Fuji Color etc...

It sounds to me as if we are in the midst of a revolution especially
when you hear words like "never" I wonder what the situation will
be 10 years hence. I have not been inside a theater projection room in a
long time but I suppose they still deliver film reels for use on the old
projectors.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland