Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Discarding CDs and DVDs

Discarding CDs and DVDs

Roedy Green

What precautions do you take when discarding DVDs and CDs to make sure
crooks don't scavenge information off them?
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Knute Johnson

Roedy Green wrote:
> What precautions do you take when discarding DVDs and CDs to make sure
> crooks don't scavenge information off them?

If there is something on them that you really need to protect, run them
through a better quality paper shredder.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute2008/

Ian Semmel

Roedy Green wrote:
> What precautions do you take when discarding DVDs and CDs to make sure
> crooks don't scavenge information off them?

I eat them

Tom Anderson

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Roedy Green wrote:

> What precautions do you take when discarding DVDs and CDs to make sure
> crooks don't scavenge information off them?

I feed them to Ian Semmel.

Microwaving them at full power for a few seconds (<5) is the classic.
Information on this abounds on the web, and there are videos on youtube.
Also, you can use your microwave to totally shrink crisp packets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhA4XCn2liQ

Now, i'm not totally certain that it makes the data completely
unrecoverable. If you want certainty, take an extra step. One option is to
follow up with a Tesla coil:

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/cdzap.html

If my Tesla coil was broken, i'd break them up and dispose of the parts
via two different routes (eg your bin, a public dustbin in a different
neighbourhood), much as i would for credit cards or hookers i've murdered.

HTH.

tom

--
Operate all mechanisms!

Martin Gregorie

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:25:38 -0700, Roedy Green wrote:

> What precautions do you take when discarding DVDs and CDs to make sure
> crooks don't scavenge information off them?

If you haven't got a good shredder, try tin-snips or heavy scissors.

Or, and on your head be it if you try this because I haven't, playing a
flame on the disk to melt or burn it should do the trick, but don't try
that indoors for the first time!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Lord Zoltar

Roedy Green wrote:
> What precautions do you take when discarding DVDs and CDs to make sure
> crooks don't scavenge information off them?
> --

Several people have already suggested a high-powered shredder, so I'll
suggest:
Have you tried applying a power sander to the data side? you'd have to
clamp it down tight so it doesn't fly away. Just don't breathe in the
dust.
Or melt them: a firepit filled with firestarter should be able to turn
a whold batch of CDs into a plastic puddle. Again, don't breath when
standing too close.

Mr.Frog.to.you@googlemail.com

There are some approved and accepted ways to dispose of the disks so
that they conform to different disposal standards. Usually there is a
suitable description of the approved methods for disposal that apply
to the standard.

If you want to do this just for your own sake then I would suggest
that the best way to do this is to completely slag them. You are able
to get hold of an old wok or dustbin lid, sit it on top of an open
fire or incinerator, toss in the disks in small numbers, wait for them
to really melt, then toss in some fuel oil (not too much or too close
- it will really burn hot), and what doesnt burn will not be worth
anything from a data perspective.

You may also try to disolve them in alcohol / fuel type substances
then burn the goo. This is a slower process but will completely
destroy the disks by rendering them first as a goo / paste, then
buring the goo. You need to stir continuously while creating the goo.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm goo!

The Frog

Roedy Green

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:04:22 -0400, Wayne <nospam@all.4me.invalid>

>Just leave it on your car dashboard for an hour or so.

someone will steal them?
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

RedGrittyBrick

Wayne wrote:
> Roedy Green wrote:
>> What precautions do you take when discarding DVDs and CDs to make sure
>> crooks don't scavenge information off them?

> Just leave it on your car dashboard for an hour or so.

That might not work in Canada at this time of year. Certainly not at all
times of the day.

I favour writing "Dolly Parton sings country" on it and leaving it at a
Metallica concert venue.

--
RGB