Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease

Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease

Brummie

I have a cable broadband connection via Roadrunner. My network runs
off a laptop, and my PC has a little USB 2.11 Netgear receiver (I
think that's what it's called). My op system is Windows XP, with
service pack 3. Until a couple of days ago I was getting connection
speeds of 54MBps, but now I get 16MBps and below. I have a secure
connection, and the PC tells me it is OK. I've tried repair, which
makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
global scheme, which I don't know how to nullify.

Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem? I don't mind
sharing my bandwidth when I'm NOT actively using the Internet, but
this is a permanent reduction, and it's affecting my browsing. I
usually use IE, by the way.

Any suggestions?

Phillip Windell

"Brummie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
> week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
> global scheme,

Well, that constitutes "making a change"

> which I don't know how to nullify.

You need to find out,..the same place you found out how to do it is the same
place you will find out how to undo it.

> Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem?

It is so extremely likely ......

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It possible that some signal interference was "injected" into the
environment try to change the Channel in the Wireless Router, and choose the
one that yield best result.
If the Wireless card ("SB 2.11 Netgear receiver"as you call it ),is stuck
between the computer and some thing the masks it physically, place it in
another location.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Brummie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a cable broadband connection via Roadrunner. My network runs
> off a laptop, and my PC has a little USB 2.11 Netgear receiver (I
> think that's what it's called). My op system is Windows XP, with
> service pack 3. Until a couple of days ago I was getting connection
> speeds of 54MBps, but now I get 16MBps and below. I have a secure
> connection, and the PC tells me it is OK. I've tried repair, which
> makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
> week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
> global scheme, which I don't know how to nullify.
>
> Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem? I don't mind
> sharing my bandwidth when I'm NOT actively using the Internet, but
> this is a permanent reduction, and it's affecting my browsing. I
> usually use IE, by the way.
>
> Any suggestions?

Barb Bowman

that global sharing is probably something you should check against
Roadrunners Terms of Service (unless it is a RR project officially)
and is most likely the change that you made that caused the problem.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Brummie

On Sep 15, 7:16*pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> It possible that some signal interference was "injected" into the
> environment try to change the Channel in the Wireless Router, and choose the
> one that yield best result.
> If the Wireless card ("SB 2.11 Netgear receiver"as you call it ),is stuck
> between the computer and some thing the masks it physically, place it in
> another location.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Brummie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I have a cable broadband connection via Roadrunner. My network runs
> > off a laptop, and my PC has a little USB 2.11 Netgear receiver (I
> > think that's what it's called). My op system is Windows XP, with
> > service pack 3. Until a couple of days ago I was getting connection
> > speeds of 54MBps, but now I get 16MBps and below. I have a secure
> > connection, and the PC tells me it is OK. I've tried repair, which
> > makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
> > week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
> > global scheme, which I don't know how to nullify.

> > Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem? I don't mind
> > sharing my bandwidth when I'm NOT actively using the Internet, but
> > this is a permanent reduction, and it's affecting my browsing. I
> > usually use IE, by the way.

> > Any suggestions?

Thanks. I'll try moving the router around.

Brummie

On Sep 16, 1:46*am, Barb Bowman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> that global sharing is probably something you should check against
> Roadrunners Terms of Service (unless it is a RR project officially)
> and is most likely the change that you made that caused the problem.
>
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:19:57 -0700 (PDT), Brummie
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I have a cable broadband connection via Roadrunner. My network runs
> >off a laptop, and my PC has a little USB 2.11 Netgear receiver (I
> >think that's what it's called). My op system is Windows XP, with
> >service pack 3. Until a couple of days ago I was getting connection
> >speeds of 54MBps, but now I get 16MBps and below. I have a secure
> >connection, and the PC tells me it is OK. I've tried repair, which
> >makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
> >week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
> >global scheme, which I don't know how to nullify.

> >Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem? I don't mind
> >sharing my bandwidth when I'm NOT actively using the Internet, but
> >this is a permanent reduction, and it's affecting my browsing. I
> >usually use IE, by the way.

> >Any suggestions?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman