Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slingshot free off peak account - any good?

Slingshot free off peak account - any good?

Stephen Worthington

I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
(torrents maybe?)?

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
<news(E-Mail Removed) >:

> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
> (torrents maybe?)?

Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?

--
- Nic.

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:26:15 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
><(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
><news(E-Mail Removed)> :
>
>> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
>> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
>> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
>> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
>> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
>> (torrents maybe?)?

>Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?

Yes, I found Xnet. Their "free" time is not entirely free - it is
limited to only 75 GiBytes per month. Slingshot's has no limit. And
Xnet's daytime rate is $1.54 per GiByte. You can buy 50 GiBytes of
daytime rate at Slingshot for $50, and any unused is rolled over for
up to a year. So that effectively means you get daytime gigs at
$1/GiByte. The Xnet base cost is $49.95, $10 cheaper than Slingshot,
but there is no daytime traffic at all included in that rate.
Slingshot includes 15 GiBytes in their $59.95 base cost, which easily
compensates for the difference.

Slingshot's free download time is 01:00-07:00, and it is easy to
download 1 Gibyte per hour on a full speed ADSL connection (or I
should say it is easy at present on Ihug). At my usual connect speed
of over 4000 Kibit/s, it should be possible to download as much as 1.7
Gibytes per hour, meaning that in a 30 day month you could potentially
download 308 GiBytes. That would allow for downloading HD video if I
want to, which is just too expensive at present.

Richard

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
> <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
> <news(E-Mail Removed) >:
>
>> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
>> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
>> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
>> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
>> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
>> (torrents maybe?)?

> Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?

Are you aware that speeds on xnet are ****, and doubly so during the
free hours? Read the threads on geekzone to see how little they care.

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:20:03 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
>> <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
>> <news(E-Mail Removed) >:
>>
>>> I am just looking around at the options for a full speed down / full
>>> speed up ADSL account, and Slingshot is offering one where you get 15
>>> GiBytes per month during the day, but completely free from 01:00 to
>>> 07:00. Is anyone out there one of these accounts? Are they any good?
>>> Is there a catch to the "free" downloads - do they rate limit anything
>>> (torrents maybe?)?

>> Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?

>Are you aware that speeds on xnet are ****, and doubly so during the
>free hours? Read the threads on geekzone to see how little they care.

That is the sort of information I am looking for, thanks. Is there
anything in the same vein about Slingshot?

Since Ihug corrected their faulty router programming some time ago
that was causing packet fragmentation, I have had pretty good download
speeds most times of the day. The overnight speeds are almost always
as fast as the ADSL connection allows, and large chunks of the day are
the same. So what I need to know is if Slingshot does that too, or
whether the real download speeds are lower than the ADSL speed. And
upload speeds for that matter.

Richard

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:20:03 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>>> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:23:09 GMT, Stephen Worthington
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in

>>> Are you aware that XNet have also a free off-peak account available?

>> Are you aware that speeds on xnet are ****, and doubly so during the
>> free hours? Read the threads on geekzone to see how little they care.

> That is the sort of information I am looking for, thanks. Is there
> anything in the same vein about Slingshot?
>
> Since Ihug corrected their faulty router programming some time ago
> that was causing packet fragmentation, I have had pretty good download
> speeds most times of the day. The overnight speeds are almost always
> as fast as the ADSL connection allows, and large chunks of the day are
> the same. So what I need to know is if Slingshot does that too, or
> whether the real download speeds are lower than the ADSL speed. And
> upload speeds for that matter.

I dont get free offpeak or databanking because they treat their naked
dsl customers like crap at slingshot, but its still a hell of a lot
better then a connection which cant even play youtube at times which is
what xnet deliver.

I dont know if there is any seperation between customers with and
without free offpeak on slingshot, so the fact that I have a quite
usable connection giving me 2 http transfers at 60k/sec international
and about another 80-90k coming in on bittorrent may mean nothing to you
if they do provision the free offpeak plans seperatly.

xnet do not, which is the source of lots of complaints on geekzone at
the moment.

Simon B

joe_090 wrote:
> Stephen Worthington wrote:
> Well they've just dumped their news server, which might be an
> influencing factor.

They dumped it without ceremony. I found out 2 weeks before they
announced it formally, because I could no longer connect.

Usenet is a great source of information. I will continue to use it, but
it feels weird not getting it through my ISP any more.

Most people who started using the Internet within the last 8 years don't
even know what Usenet is. Sigh.

Simon B.

Gordon

On 2008-09-15, Simon B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> joe_090 wrote:
>> Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> Well they've just dumped their news server, which might be an
>> influencing factor.

> They dumped it without ceremony. I found out 2 weeks before they
> announced it formally, because I could no longer connect.
>
> Usenet is a great source of information. I will continue to use it, but
> it feels weird not getting it through my ISP any more.

You'll get over it. I consider my ISP to be nothing more than a connection
to the Internet. A naked connection so to speak

> Most people who started using the Internet within the last 8 years don't
> even know what Usenet is. Sigh.

Indeed. ASCII, just plain old boring print. However the knowledge and
infomation and ideas within it are as powerful as ever.

Usenet, has become a niche service. Ironical in some ways, in others it is
just how things develop.

I hope to see the day when Usenet once again is the new trend. These things
go in cycles.

Gordon

On 2008-09-15, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Simon B wrote:
>> joe_090 wrote:
>>> Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>> Well they've just dumped their news server, which might be an
>>> influencing factor.

>> They dumped it without ceremony. I found out 2 weeks before they
>> announced it formally, because I could no longer connect.
>>
>> Usenet is a great source of information. I will continue to use it, but
>> it feels weird not getting it through my ISP any more.
>>
>> Most people who started using the Internet within the last 8 years don't
>> even know what Usenet is. Sigh.
>>
>> Simon B.

> The only area usenet is increasing in is piracy due to the fast
> downloads and being relatively safe compared to p2p where your IP can be
> easily monitored.

Do not put p2p in the illegal downloading basket. the two are different
species.

> web forums took over a long time ago and continue to gain in popularity
> while usenet is rapidly being dropped by ISP's because no one uses it.
>
> Nothing to be sad about, things change...

A web forum is like a penguin on land, slow and alot of waddling. Usenet is
like a penguin in the water, fast and very moverable.

The irony to me is that a web forum should allow one to slice to the thing
one is after quickly

Richard

Richard wrote:
> Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> Are you aware that speeds on xnet are ****, and doubly so during the
>>> free hours? Read the threads on geekzone to see how little they care.

>> That is the sort of information I am looking for, thanks. Is there
>> anything in the same vein about Slingshot?
>>
>> Since Ihug corrected their faulty router programming some time ago
>> that was causing packet fragmentation, I have had pretty good download
>> speeds most times of the day. The overnight speeds are almost always
>> as fast as the ADSL connection allows, and large chunks of the day are
>> the same. So what I need to know is if Slingshot does that too, or
>> whether the real download speeds are lower than the ADSL speed. And
>> upload speeds for that matter.

> I dont get free offpeak or databanking because they treat their naked
> dsl customers like crap at slingshot, but its still a hell of a lot
> better then a connection which cant even play youtube at times which is
> what xnet deliver.
>
> I dont know if there is any seperation between customers with and
> without free offpeak on slingshot, so the fact that I have a quite
> usable connection giving me 2 http transfers at 60k/sec international
> and about another 80-90k coming in on bittorrent may mean nothing to you
> if they do provision the free offpeak plans seperatly.
>
> xnet do not, which is the source of lots of complaints on geekzone at
> the moment.

Change that answer.

Now I have a adsl 2 router and higher sync speeds, I have seen whats
really going on. When I connect, I will get good speeds for 2-3 mins,
then it throttles back heaps. So the overall speed is just as bad as
before despite the extra 1.6 megabit sync speed.

If I drop and reconnect the PPP its good for a few mins.. Grrrr