Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Slightly OT streaming question

Slightly OT streaming question

Chris Kennedy

I want to put some mp3 files on a server and stream them through a flash
player. Is there any way of locking down the files so only the flash player
can see and access them - i.e. to stop people downloading them. It's a very
small project so I really want a cheap/ open source solution. Might be a
nice excuse to look at Silverlight Not sure whether the Silverlight will
solve the problem.

bruce barker

not if they are stored as files on the webserver. to only allow
streaming you need to use a streaming server for this (which is probably
out of your budget).

you could use flash air or silverlight to write an application that sent
a login to do the fetch (and mark content to not cache), but they
would be easy to reverse engineer.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)