Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > pagin file

pagin file

chronicboy11@hotmail.com

just a simple quiestio

if you have 4 gbs of RAM is it good to still enable file paging

thanks

saycheez

Absolutely.
Unless you are using a 64 bit flavor of Windows the OS basically sees 2-3
gbs only. If you are using a 64 bit version of Windows the OS sees all your
RAM but probably cannot run your programs, has lousy drivers, etc.
And despite what you might think or what some "experts" recommend Microsoft
recommends that your primary paging file be on your C drive.
All flavors of Windows will insist on using a hard drive based paging file
regardless of how much RAM you have or what you are actually doing with your
computer unless you shut this option off.
Based on what I have seen in objective testing and personal experience I
would allow Windows to determine the size of the paging file and it hardly
matters what drive you place it on.
Most users are more likely to run out of "resources" before they run out of
RAM or paging file space.

ClueLess

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:26:21 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>just a simple quiestio
>
>if you have 4 gbs of RAM is it good to still enable file paging

Now I am inviting flame from everybody

Right from Win98 days I have been disabling pagefile and have never encountered
any problem. In WinXP Pro 768 memory and pagefile disabled. Doing video edit,
DVD burning, music edit etc no problem.
--

ClueLess

ClueLess

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:33:09 -0400, "boat987" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why are you disabling the page file? Is the hard drive too small? In this
>day and age, there's no reason not to have all the hardware you need to use
>the OS the way it was intended. Video and music take a huge amount of
>memory.

In the olden Win98 (Win95 by default did not have page file) days when hard
disks were small I used to disable page file and found that this never was a
problem so I continued with the practice with ME and XP with no performance
degradation.

I do create videos with menu and then burn them to DVD without any problem.

I never used 2000 or NT so I cannot say anything about them.

--

Thanks for your time and attention

ClueLess