Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Powerpost 2000 problem

Powerpost 2000 problem

cd@nowhere.com

I'm using Powerpost 2000 ver.1.3. For the first time I played an mp3
file to listen to as Powerpost was uploading. It seems there are
strange noises appearing every 15" or so. They definitely are coming
from Powerpost. The most frequent one is the sound of dripping water.
there are other strange sounds reproduced from time to time. It kinda
ruins the music I'm listening to. Just out of curiosity, has anyone
else got a hold of a Powerpost file that does this? Naturally, I'm
going to find another version of it and download that - unless this is
in all versions and placed there by the software author.

??

chuckcar

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm using Powerpost 2000 ver.1.3. For the first time I played an mp3
> file to listen to as Powerpost was uploading. It seems there are
> strange noises appearing every 15" or so. They definitely are coming
> from Powerpost. The most frequent one is the sound of dripping water.
> there are other strange sounds reproduced from time to time. It kinda
> ruins the music I'm listening to. Just out of curiosity, has anyone
> else got a hold of a Powerpost file that does this? Naturally, I'm
> going to find another version of it and download that - unless this is
> in all versions and placed there by the software author.

I would use alt.binaries.test for this and suggest you do the same unless
you want to be flamed. Make sure that you disable any programs running in
the background as this may cause a slowdown to lead to this effect.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

why?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 18:55:41 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm using Powerpost 2000 ver.1.3. For the first time I played an mp3
>file to listen to as Powerpost was uploading. It seems there are
>strange noises appearing every 15" or so. They definitely are coming
>from Powerpost. The most frequent one is the sound of dripping water.
>there are other strange sounds reproduced from time to time. It kinda
>ruins the music I'm listening to. Just out of curiosity, has anyone
>else got a hold of a Powerpost file that does this? Naturally, I'm

What sort of PP file? Another PP exe you mean?

>going to find another version of it and download that - unless this is

Why?

If it was me I would turn off the 'play sounds' in PP program settigs.

>in all versions and placed there by the software author.

There is the earlier 1.1b, but that's all I seem to recall unless it's
been updated in the last 3 or 4 years.

>??

?? is a comment on your solution, confusion or just not checking PP
options?

Me

cd@nowhere.com

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 00:53:12 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I'm using Powerpost 2000 ver.1.3. For the first time I played an mp3
>> file to listen to as Powerpost was uploading. It seems there are
>> strange noises appearing every 15" or so. They definitely are coming
>> from Powerpost. The most frequent one is the sound of dripping water.
>> there are other strange sounds reproduced from time to time. It kinda
>> ruins the music I'm listening to. Just out of curiosity, has anyone
>> else got a hold of a Powerpost file that does this? Naturally, I'm
>> going to find another version of it and download that - unless this is
>> in all versions and placed there by the software author.
>>

>I would use alt.binaries.test for this and suggest you do the same unless
>you want to be flamed.

I wasn't testing it. I noticed it when I was uploading files to an mp3
group.

>Make sure that you disable any programs running in
>the background as this may cause a slowdown to lead to this effect.

Nope. It's Powerpost. I guess some fool "diddled" with it and then
posted it for download on some Web page or other.

Outside of the nonsense noises put into it, I find no viruses or trojans
in the file.

I'll just download another version from a more trusted Web site. I was
just curious to see if anyone else had gotten hold of this "diddled"
version.

cd@nowhere.com

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:38:49 GMT, why?

>On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 18:55:41 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I'm using Powerpost 2000 ver.1.3. For the first time I played an mp3
>>file to listen to as Powerpost was uploading. It seems there are
>>strange noises appearing every 15" or so. They definitely are coming
>>from Powerpost. The most frequent one is the sound of dripping water.
>>there are other strange sounds reproduced from time to time. It kinda
>>ruins the music I'm listening to. Just out of curiosity, has anyone
>>else got a hold of a Powerpost file that does this? Naturally, I'm

>What sort of PP file? Another PP exe you mean?
>
>>going to find another version of it and download that - unless this is

>Why?

Because mp3 uploads can take some time and I sometimes would like to
listen to other music while uploading. The goofy noises ruin the music
I'm trying to listen to.

>If it was me I would turn off the 'play sounds' in PP program settigs.

I didn't know there was a 'play sounds' in the Powerpost settings.

>?? is a comment on your solution, confusion or just not checking PP
>options?
>
>Me

As I said, I had no idea that sound settings were in the program. Which
brings me to the questions, why would an author ruin a good program with
goofy sounds happening every 15" and other sounds - including movie
dialog, happening with some frequency throughout the program's running?

It's freak'n DUMB!

whosbest54

says...

>I'm using Powerpost 2000 ver.1.3. For the first time I played an mp3
>file to listen to as Powerpost was uploading. It seems there are
>strange noises appearing every 15" or so. They definitely are coming
>from Powerpost. The most frequent one is the sound of dripping water.
>there are other strange sounds reproduced from time to time. It kinda
>ruins the music I'm listening to. Just out of curiosity, has anyone
>else got a hold of a Powerpost file that does this? Naturally, I'm
>going to find another version of it and download that - unless this is
>in all versions and placed there by the software author.

The dripping sounds are normal and part of the program. There is a
setting to toggle playing of sounds.

whosbest54

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

cd@nowhere.com

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:38:08 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:38:49 GMT, why?
>

>>On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 18:55:41 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>I'm using Powerpost 2000 ver.1.3. For the first time I played an mp3
>>>file to listen to as Powerpost was uploading. It seems there are
>>>strange noises appearing every 15" or so. They definitely are coming
>>>from Powerpost. The most frequent one is the sound of dripping water.
>>>there are other strange sounds reproduced from time to time. It kinda
>>>ruins the music I'm listening to. Just out of curiosity, has anyone
>>>else got a hold of a Powerpost file that does this? Naturally, I'm

>>What sort of PP file? Another PP exe you mean?
>>
>>>going to find another version of it and download that - unless this is

>>Why?

>Because mp3 uploads can take some time and I sometimes would like to
>listen to other music while uploading. The goofy noises ruin the music
>I'm trying to listen to.
>
>>If it was me I would turn off the 'play sounds' in PP program settigs.
>>

>I didn't know there was a 'play sounds' in the Powerpost settings.
>

>>?? is a comment on your solution, confusion or just not checking PP
>>options?
>>
>>Me

>As I said, I had no idea that sound settings were in the program. Which
>brings me to the questions, why would an author ruin a good program with
>goofy sounds happening every 15" and other sounds - including movie
>dialog, happening with some frequency throughout the program's running?
>
>It's freak'n DUMB!

I found the setting for the sounds. It has been quite a few years since
I installed the Powerpost. At that time I was not into sound files so I
never noticed that setting or simply ignored it. I still think it silly
to have those nonsense sounds in the program.

Anyway, thanks all for helping.