Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > There must be a way to MANUALLY run the Sandisk U3 flash drive autoplay!

Reply
Thread Tools

There must be a way to MANUALLY run the Sandisk U3 flash drive autoplay!

 
 
Sherry Morris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
There must be a way to MANUALLY run the Sandisk U3 flash drive autoplay!
But how?

When I plug in the encrypted sandisk u3 flash drive to one of my laptops, I
can see two drives, namely:
U3 System (D Removable Disk (E

When I click on the "U3 System (D", I can see three files:
autorun.inf LaunchPad.zip LaunchU3.exe

How do I manually launch the sandrive u3 system on this laptop so that it
asks for my password?

Note: On other laptops, it works fine. I suspect someone disabled flash
drive autoplay (which from googling, is a good thing but I can not find
instructions on how to run the ubiquitous sandrive U3 encryption once
autoplay is disabled!

Help!
How do I manually run the sandisk u3 encryption program so that it asks for
my password?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sherry Morris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:48:02 -0700, Sherry Morris wrote:

> How do I manually run the sandisk u3 encryption program so that it asks for
> my password?


BTW, the SanDisk U3 USB flash drive autoplay encryption dialog does pop up
on other Windows XP laptops so I'm sure it's something different about this
laptop.

This laptop won't autoplay anything so I suspect autoplay has been turned
off (again, this is a good thing).

All I am asking (and I'm not sure whom to ask) is ........
How do I manually tell the sandisk u3 encryption system to run?

I installed TweakUI version 2.10.0.0 and checked "My Computer > AutoPlay >
Enable Autoplay for CD and DVD drives" and I checked "My Computer >
AutoPlay > Enable Autoplay for removable drives" but it didn't do anything.

Besides, I don't want to enable autoplay (I like that it won't autoplay).

All I want to do is manually run the sandisk u3 encryption program to ask
me what the password is.

But, when I doubleclick on D:\LaunchU3.exe, nothing happens except it
brings up an empty folder on my WinXP hard drive C:\Documents and
Settings\sherry\Application Data\U3\<big number>

There must be a way to manually run the sandisk u3 encryption dialog, yes?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sherry Morris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:56:47 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

>> How do I manually run the sandisk u3 encryption program so that it asks for
>> my password?

>
> Unencrypt it?


On another windows PC, I can certainly unencrypt the contents of the
Sandisk U3 flash drive. That isn't the problem. I WANT the data encrypted.

I just want the SanDisk U3 program to ASK for the password.

But without autoplay, the Sandisk U3 flash drive doesn't ask for the
password on this computer.

When I click on the Sandisk U3 LaunchPad.zip, I can unzip the files but
none of them, when I click on them, do anything to bring up the password.

Likewise, I can't get the autorun.inf to do anything.
Here is what the autorun.inf file contains.
[AutoRun]
open=LaunchU3.exe -a
icon=LaunchU3.exe,0

[Definitions]
Launchpad=LaunchPad.exe
Vtype=2

[CopyFiles]
FileNumber=1
File1=LaunchPad.zip

[Update]
URL=http://u3.sandisk.com/download/lp_installer.asp?custom=1.6.1.1&brand=CruzerBFG


[Comment]
brand=CruzerBFG


How can I get a sandisk u3 usb flash drive to autorun manually?



 
Reply With Quote
 
me@mine.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:55:50 -0700, in rec.photo.digital Sherry Morris
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>But, when I doubleclick on D:\LaunchU3.exe, nothing happens except it
>brings up an empty folder on my WinXP hard drive C:\Documents and
>Settings\sherry\Application Data\U3\<big number>


According to the Sandisk troubleshooting page it should load the
launcher in your systray. Does it do this? Then either click or right
click on the icon in the systray and see what happens.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Benlars
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
Try: http://www.u3.com/support/faq.aspx


"Sherry Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qkvyk.116$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There must be a way to MANUALLY run the Sandisk U3 flash drive autoplay!
> But how?
>
> When I plug in the encrypted sandisk u3 flash drive to one of my laptops,
> I
> can see two drives, namely:
> U3 System (D Removable Disk (E
>
> When I click on the "U3 System (D", I can see three files:
> autorun.inf LaunchPad.zip LaunchU3.exe
>
> How do I manually launch the sandrive u3 system on this laptop so that it
> asks for my password?
>
> Note: On other laptops, it works fine. I suspect someone disabled flash
> drive autoplay (which from googling, is a good thing but I can not find
> instructions on how to run the ubiquitous sandrive U3 encryption once
> autoplay is disabled!
>
> Help!
> How do I manually run the sandisk u3 encryption program so that it asks
> for
> my password?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Why Tea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
On Sep 12, 9:00*am, Sherry Morris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:56:47 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
> >> How do I manually run the sandisk u3 encryption program so that it asks for
> >> my password?

>
> > Unencrypt it?

>
> On another windows PC, I can certainly unencrypt the contents of the
> Sandisk U3 flash drive. That isn't the problem. I WANT the data encrypted..
>
> I just want the SanDisk U3 program to ASK for the password.
>
> But without autoplay, the Sandisk U3 flash drive doesn't ask for the
> password on this computer.
>
> When I click on the Sandisk U3 LaunchPad.zip, I can unzip the files but
> none of them, when I click on them, do anything to bring up the password.
>
> Likewise, I can't get the autorun.inf to do anything.
> Here is what the autorun.inf file contains.
> [AutoRun]
> open=LaunchU3.exe -a
> icon=LaunchU3.exe,0
>
> [Definitions]
> Launchpad=LaunchPad.exe
> Vtype=2
>
> [CopyFiles]
> FileNumber=1
> File1=LaunchPad.zip
>
> [Update]
> URL=http://u3.sandisk.com/download/lp_installer.asp?custom=1.6.1.1&brand=...
>
> [Comment]
> brand=CruzerBFG
>
> How can I get a sandisk u3 usb flash drive to autorun manually?


I don't use U3. But looking at your autorun.inf, what gets auto-run
is "LaunchU3.exe -a". Have you tried to run "LaunchU3.exe -a"?
If that works, you can then put that in a batch file. Just some
thoughts.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sherry Morris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:24:05 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>But, when I doubleclick on D:\LaunchU3.exe, nothing happens except it
>>brings up an empty folder on my WinXP hard drive C:\Documents and
>>Settings\sherry\Application Data\U3\<big number>

>
> According to the Sandisk troubleshooting page it should load the
> launcher in your systray. Does it do this? Then either click or right
> click on the icon in the systray and see what happens.


I know. I know. On my other laptops, the Sandisk U3 program (asking for the
password) loads perfectly. It's just this laptop where it doesn't load.
Nothing loads automatically on this laptop.

I'm pretty sure autoloads in the registry are removed on this laptop
because I called the previous owner who said he didn't remember what he
removed but that shouldn't matter.

Can't I just manually "exececute" the U3 encryption program so that it asks
for a password?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sherry Morris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:15:49 -0700 (PDT), Why Tea wrote:

>> How can I get a sandisk u3 usb flash drive to autorun manually?

>
> I don't use U3. But looking at your autorun.inf, what gets auto-run
> is "LaunchU3.exe -a". Have you tried to run "LaunchU3.exe -a"?


I was hopeful when you mentioned this but alas, all it did when I executed
"F:\launchu3.exe -a" was bring up the same thing on the pc which was
"C:\documents and settings\sherry\application data\<some long number>"
which isn't the same thing as bringing up the encryption dialog.

I even unzipped the "F:\LaunchPad.zip" which contains the following:
10/23/2007 09:27 AM 110,592 cleanup.exe
10/23/2007 09:22 AM 3,350,528 Launchpad Removal.exe
10/23/2007 10:14 AM 4,632,576 LaunchPad.exe
10/23/2007 09:22 AM 58,842 Loading.gif
10/23/2007 09:22 AM 328 Loading.htm
10/23/2007 09:23 AM 78,576 LPHelp-ch.chm
10/23/2007 09:23 AM 98,339 LPHelp-de.chm
10/23/2007 09:23 AM 109,621 LPHelp-en.chm
10/23/2007 09:23 AM 94,194 LPHelp-es.chm
10/23/2007 09:23 AM 95,968 LPHelp-fr.chm
10/23/2007 09:23 AM 94,331 LPHelp-it.chm
10/23/2007 09:23 AM 90,017 LPHelp-jp.chm
10/23/2007 09:23 AM 88,034 LPHelp-tw.chm
10/23/2007 10:33 AM 2,129,920 LPSecurityExtension.dll
10/23/2007 10:33 AM 1,901 LPSecurityExtension.dll.sig
10/23/2007 10:32 AM 544,768 SanDiskFormatExtension.dll
10/23/2007 10:32 AM 1,901 SanDiskFormatExtension.dll.sig
10/23/2007 09:44 AM 54,584 U3AccessGrant.exe
10/23/2007 09:23 AM 2,600,960 u3dapi10.dll
10/23/2007 10:35 AM 718,336 U3LauncherSetup.msi
10/23/2007 10:36 AM 9 version.dat
21 File(s) 14,954,325 bytes

What do you think is the purpose of this zip file?

Do you think there is something I can execute in the zip file that will
bring up the password file?

I clicked on everything but maybe they need to be executed differently.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Sherry Morris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:45:56 GMT, Benlars wrote:

> http://www.u3.com/support/faq.aspx


None of these fit but I'll try them somehow ...

U3 Launchpad
1. When I insert my U3 smart drive I receive an error message and the U3
Launchpad does not run
2. I have found that sometimes when I have a DVD in my PC the Launchpad
starts really slowly. Why?
3. How do I access a U3 smart drive on a public PC? The kiosk PC I use has
no System Tray and I can't click on the application bar.
4. When I insert my smart drive in my computer, I can access the drive, but
I can't find anything that looks like the U3 Launchpad.
5. I want to re-install the U3 Launchpad on my smart drive
6. Why does the Launchpad sometimes hang after I insert my
password-protected U3 smart drive?
7. When I insert the U3 flash drive in my computer, Windows says something
about installing necessary software, and then tells me to reboot! I thought
U3 drives didn't install stuff on the host computer. What gives?
8. I removed my U3 smart drive without clicking on the Eject button first.
Can this damage my smart drive or affect its functionality?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sherry Morris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2008
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:09:32 -0700, Sherry Morris wrote:

> ttp://www.u3.com/support/faq.aspx

Q1: Are you using the U3 device on a Windows 2000 SP4+ or Windows XP
computer? Ans = yes

Q2: Can you see the U3 Launchpad icon in the system tray after inserting
the U3 smart drive? Ans = no

Q3: Does the U3 icon now appear in the system tray when you do the
following?
a. Start the Launchpad Manually.
b. Right-click on the drive letter in My Computer which is associated with
the U3 smart drive and which has the description, "U3 System" or "CD
Drive".
c. Select the Explore option from the menu. The contents of the drive
letter will be displayed in Windows Explorer.
d. Double-click "LaunchU3.exe".

Does the U3 icon now appear in the system tray? Ans = no

Q4: Is LaunchU3.exe or Launchpad.exe is already running?
Here is how to check to see if any LaunchU3.exe or Launchpad.exe processes
are already running.
NOTE: these steps should be conducted with only one U3 smart drive
connected to the host machine.
a. Bring up the Task Manager dialog by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc. keys at
the same time.
b. Once the window pops up click on the Processes tab.
c. Scroll through the list of running processes to identify an entry of
LaunchU3.exe or Launchpad.exe. (You can alphabetize the list by clicking
left over Image Name if this makes the entry easier to locate).
d. Are any LaunchU3.exe or Launchpad.exe processes running?

Is LaunchU3.exe or Launchpad.exe already running? Ans = no

Q5: Can you see two drive letters associated with the U3 smart drive in My
Computer? Ans = yes
If YES:
Double-click on the drive letter marked as 'U3 System' or 'CD Drive', then
proceed to the next step.

That next step is the same as Q3 above (it's a loop).

Isn't there a better way to start the U3 program manually?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U3 security on a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 4gb flash drive doug Computer Support 1 01-25-2007 12:58 PM
Sandisk 512MB Ultra II Cheaper Than Sandisk 512MB Regular SD Card powrwrap@aol.com Digital Photography 0 12-28-2005 09:37 PM
New Sandisk CF not compatable with older Sandisk USB readers (SDDR-75) Colin Digital Photography 8 12-25-2004 07:11 PM
Flash Drive (512mb): Lexar (JumpDrive Elite, Sport), or Sandisk (Micro, Mini)? Larry Computer Information 0 09-10-2004 03:32 PM
Must manually refresh Windows Explorer vbMark Computer Support 2 07-02-2004 12:59 PM



Advertisments