Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: BioStar Motherboard eaten my RAM ???!!

Re: BioStar Motherboard eaten my RAM ???!!

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

On Aug 12, 11:30 pm, Hari Hari Mau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello all !
>
> Just recently I upgraded my PC to 4GB of DDR2 RAM --- 2 X 2GB DDR2 RAM
> Modules.
>
> But when I plugged in the memory modules and powered up my PC, I got
> an unpleasant surprise !!
>
> Somehow the 4GB of RAM only shows up as 3587072K of Memory !! That's a
> whooping 600MB of memory ****missing**** !!!
>
> The motherboard for my PC is Biostar's P4M890-M7-SE and so far it
> hasn't given me any problem.
>
> The motherboard has a built-in vga, which I use. I allocate 16MB of
> RAM as "shared memory" for VGA, and the "AGP-Aperture" I give it 32MB,
> all min figure.
>
> When I first built the PC, I used a 1GB DDR2 memory module. The mobo
> showed me the correct mem figures, ie., 1GB (1024MB) MINUS the 16MB
> (of shared memory) and a 1MB of "T-Seg memory".
>
> When I purchased a second 1GB DDR2 memory and plugged it in, again the
> mobo didn't give me any problem. It correctly gave me the 2GB (2048MB)
> MINUS the 17MB of shared and T-Seg memories.
>
> However, when I plugged in the recently purchased 2 X 2GB DDR2 mem
> modules, the problem occurred !!
>
> Instead of giving me 4GB (4096MB) MINUS 17MB, all I got is 3587072K
> (around 3.42GB) of memory, plus the 17 shared and "T-Seg" memories.
>
> What's going on???
>
> What can I do to get back the 600MB of my RAM that is
> ****MISSING**** ????
>
> PLEASE HELP !!!

If your processor is a Pentium and MS Windows is the OS you use, these
are these are the two ways that you can recover the missing 600MB:
1) Install XP64 or Vista64 (if your processor is a Pentium or Core
Duo, you must first upgrade the processor to a Core 2 Duo).
2) Keep your processor unchanged but upgrade your OS to Windows 2003
Server or Windows 2008 Server if you can find a PAE compliant driver
for every piece of hardware with a DMA controller. (32 bit XP and 32
bit Vista are rigged to not allow you to fully enable PAE.)