Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Finally - A full size sensor in Sony A900

Finally - A full size sensor in Sony A900

aniramca@gmail.com

Sony came up with the new Alpha 900, featuring its Exmor's full size
sensor, and utilization of dual BIONZ processors. I wonder how this
camera compare with their rivals from Nikon and Canon?
Will Pentax come up with a full size sensor camera soon? What about
Fujifilm? Will there be a replacement or upgrade for their S5 Pro
camera soon? Will Samsung follow suit too? I am guessing that the
Samsung name does not have the reputation to catch up with the "big
boys". However, I heard that Samsung's owners seem to be happy with
the product. Maybe the brand name is more known in Europe than in
North America for DSLR cameras.
I assume that Olympus and Lumix will stay with 4/3 system? Perhaps
they will try to come up with the smallest DSLR using their new micro
4/3 system? Or will they eventually go after the full size sensor DSLR
too?

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sony came up with the new Alpha 900, featuring its Exmor's full size
> sensor, and utilization of dual BIONZ processors. I wonder how this
> camera compare with their rivals from Nikon and Canon?

nikon hasn't released one yet.

> Will Pentax come up with a full size sensor camera soon?

pentax has discontinued all their full frame lenses, so a full frame
dslr won't be any time soon.

> What about
> Fujifilm? Will there be a replacement or upgrade for their S5 Pro
> camera soon?

history.

> Will Samsung follow suit too? I am guessing that the
> Samsung name does not have the reputation to catch up with the "big
> boys". However, I heard that Samsung's owners seem to be happy with
> the product. Maybe the brand name is more known in Europe than in
> North America for DSLR cameras.

samsung is a rebadged pentax, with slightly different firmware.

> I assume that Olympus and Lumix will stay with 4/3 system?

they have no choice, unless they want to introduce an entirely new set
of lenses.

> Perhaps
> they will try to come up with the smallest DSLR using their new micro
> 4/3 system? Or will they eventually go after the full size sensor DSLR
> too?

micro 4/3 could be interesting. however, nothing stops nikon/canon
from doing a micro-aps.

ASAAR

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:26:08 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Sony came up with the new Alpha 900, featuring its Exmor's full size
> sensor, and utilization of dual BIONZ processors. I wonder how this
> camera compare with their rivals from Nikon and Canon?

I've read several DPR forum messages that mentioned early tests
indicating that the 900's images were slightly worse than expected,
suggesting that when Nikon uses that sensor it will get better IQ
from it, just as the D300 did before it, vs. the Sony equivalent.

But if Nikon produced an optimal version and another that produced
images identical to the Alpha 900's output, my choice would be for
the latter if it matched the 900's price and would be $1,000 less
expensive than the optimal version. I wouldn't get the A900 for
that price though, because there will be other differences
(important to me) besides the sensor and its images.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, bino
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Sony came up with the new Alpha 900, featuring its Exmor's full size
> >> sensor, and utilization of dual BIONZ processors. I wonder how this
> >> camera compare with their rivals from Nikon and Canon?

> > nikon hasn't released one yet.

> 36 x 24 = full frame
> D3 has a 36 x 24 sensor
> Therefore:
> Nikon has released a full frame camera

yes, nikon released two of them, both of which are 12 megapixels. the
rumoured 24 megapixel 'd3x', which can be considered a rival to the
sony a900, has not yet been released.