Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > All the CD and DVD Sliders

All the CD and DVD Sliders

Angelina Dunsforthe

The CD and DVD sliders on our computers started sticking. I have the latest
updates from Microsoft and 3 gigabytes of RAM so that can't be it. My emails
are working fine. The internet works fine but it might be a little slow
sometimes. Some friends said this might be connected because the viruses are
trying to get from the internet into the CD and DVD players and send some
spam out. Our McAfee is updated and checks out to say all is well. Can
someone please help. My roommate and I both have papers due this week.
Thanks to all.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Angelina Dunsforthe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The CD and DVD sliders on our computers started sticking.

Spray WD40 on a Qtip and swab the sides of the tray. - it's worth a
try.;;;

--

Free Credit Report you see on T.V. is a scam as we all know.
Here is a truly free credit report, it will ask for your SSN

Tony

I think you have it right. There's a new virus called the "sticky virus" which
causes everything it comes in contact with to stick. Right now i've got "sticky
keys" on my keyboard as the virus has taken control of my keys.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know proper
manners

realm of understandability

Bucky Breeder

"Angelina Dunsforthe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gabi7m$qi2$(E-Mail Removed):

> The CD and DVD sliders on our computers started sticking. I have the
> latest updates from Microsoft and 3 gigabytes of RAM so that can't be
> it. My emails are working fine. The internet works fine but it might be
> a little slow sometimes. Some friends said this might be connected
> because the viruses are trying to get from the internet into the CD and
> DVD players and send some spam out. Our McAfee is updated and checks out
> to say all is well. Can someone please help. My roommate and I both have
> papers due this week. Thanks to all.

And with all that RAM, you all have got "issues"? Sometimes it's the
simplest of things... You say "our computers" and you say your antimalware
is both updated and your computers check out clean; so, it would be most
doubtful that some rogue virus would attack several computers at once, even
if on a small home or office network, and then attempt to do so via their
CD and/or DVD trays and remain unidentified by a state of the art
antimalware software like McAfee. (TIC) McAfee is OK, but I checked it out
way back when and I seriously considered its update characteristics and
program viral in nature and it was hard to uninstall all its components
when I finally got fed up with it. Quite a few university networks
continue to provide McAfee software for free, so their must be something
good about it... Probably the free or low-cost part; but I don't suppose
large network admins would stay with the software if it was giving too many
problems... Who knows? Back to the problem at hand...

Here's my conjecture : your house/dorm has a cleaning service and recently
the crew did a "deep clean" where they moved stuff around to mop and/or
vacuum and then put everything "back" - as best they could - or you had a
burglar who almost got caught in the act who put everything back as best he
could... Anyone notice any panties missing? LOL! JK! Been watching too
many 'National Lampoon' style movies...

Here's some steps to a solution : hold firmly the top of your PC's tan or
black or grey box and try to wiggle that piece on the front with your other
hand. Is it nicey tighty? It should be. It's very unlikely that more
than one computer would would work loose at the same time. Those front
facades are either snap-on on screwed on, depending on your flavor. If
it/they doesn't/don't wiggle much, that's good. If it/they does/do, then
you can have some friends with screwdrivers and other complicated tools
come over and open up the cases to align and tighten them - and a good
cleaning while they're there would likely be in order as well. The most
likely culprit would be ferreted-out by hold the top of your PCs and simply
try to rock them in place. My bet is that they both/all do rock and rather
dramatically too. Best to use a level, but you can use a half-full clear
glass or cup of water on top of the case(s) - but take great care not to
spill any liquids around these units because you could damge the computers,
but moreover, you could electrocute yourselves. You want these boxes to
sit relatively level and firm. Take some peices of cardboard, or thick
paper to use as shimstock (I actually cut 1-inch X 2-inch strips from used
and cleaned bleach bottles) and place them under each loose corner of the
bottom of your PC's case until the top of the case is both level and firmly
seated with no wiggles left. You want those cases as rock-solid and level
as possible!

Now fire up your computer(s) (probably do 1 at a time) and use your CD and
DVD tray buttons to open and close them a couple of times.

Everything should work correctly now, but you might want to run full system
scans just to reassure yourselves that all is OK.

HTH. Best of luck. Stay in skool. And don't take drugs!

--

I *am* Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and *I* approved this message!

http://bucky-breeders-foreplay.notlong.com

lightroom exposure and brightness sliders gibsoncontrra@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 03-20-2007 03:52 PM
WANTED: a "fan made" DVD Cover for "SLIDERS" Season 3 Sci-Fi Guy in the OC DVD Video 3 04-13-2006 02:16 AM
"Sliders - Season 3" - No Booklet????? Film Buff DVD Video 3 07-23-2005 05:11 PM
sliders Erwin Scully DVD Video 0 10-23-2004 06:07 PM
New Releases: Merlin SE,Sliders & Knight Rider: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 04-15-2004 04:46 AM

Advertisments