Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Get SessionID for all persons using the application?

Get SessionID for all persons using the application?

Hillbilly

How might that data be collected? I'm thinking of using a collection of all
SessionID values to determine what files should not be deleted when a
RecycleBin in an ASP.NET application is emptied every 5th user to come
online.

Alexey Smirnov

On Sep 11, 6:52*am, "Hillbilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How might that data be collected? I'm thinking of using a collection of all
> SessionID values to determine what files should not be deleted when a
> RecycleBin in an ASP.NET application is emptied every 5th user to come
> online.

http://www.aspdotnetfaq.com/Faq/How-...T-website.aspx

Hillbilly

I won't need to empty the RecycleBin for any files named using the value of
an active SessionID. Its an idea I'm trying to work out for keeping
temporary files deleted from a RecycleBin every so often, like every 5th or
every 10th Session for example.

Got a another idea? I haven't even bothered to search around yet.

news:%23RZIlG$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Hillbilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> How might that data be collected? I'm thinking of using a collection of
>> all SessionID values to determine what files should not be deleted when a
>> RecycleBin in an ASP.NET application is emptied every 5th user to come
>> online.

> But how will you know when someone has left the site? Are you going to
> have some sort of mechanism for them to log out?
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

Hillbilly

Damn thank you for reminding me of the FAQ. I should have remembered to look
there.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Sep 11, 6:52 am, "Hillbilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How might that data be collected? I'm thinking of using a collection of
> all
> SessionID values to determine what files should not be deleted when a
> RecycleBin in an ASP.NET application is emptied every 5th user to come
> online.

http://www.aspdotnetfaq.com/Faq/How-...T-website.aspx

Hillbilly

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Hillbilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> [top-posting corrected]

>>> But how will you know when someone has left the site? Are you going to
>>> have some sort of mechanism for them to log out?

>> I won't need to empty the RecycleBin for any files named using the value
>> of an active SessionID. Its an idea I'm trying to work out for keeping
>> temporary files deleted from a RecycleBin every so often, like every 5th
>> or every 10th Session for example.

> Yes, but the problem here is the unless you force your users to log out,
> your web application will never know about it until their Session times
> out automatically, by default after 20 minutes of activity.
>
> E.g.
>
> User A visits your site and leaves 1 minute later
> User B visits your site and leaves 2 minutes later
> User C visits your site and leaves 3 minutes later
>
> How many active users would you think there would be? Unless you force the
> users to log out, until all of the above sessions time out ASP.NET will
> think they are all still active...
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

Its not that critical. I just don't want a shitload of files accumulating
and I suppose I can test for file(s) older than the current day for example
now that I've been pondering how to approach this issue. Thanks for your
comments Mark. I just haven't found a best practice approach for cleaning
old files from a website...