Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Re: Signed multiplication revisited

Re: Signed multiplication revisited

Andy

On Sep 10, 1:16*pm, Brian Drummond <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (Incidentally, *using variables instead of signals does exactly the same
> thing; i.e. works exactly as expected. Writing the multiplications out
> longhand in the process, instead of using a procedure, works as
> expected. But if you have an array of multiplications, it gets ugly.)

That's what loops and arrays of vectors are for... ;^)

I just wish there was a way to synthesize procedures that span clock
cycles, rather than having to pass inout args for intermediate outputs/
registers. OTOH, most of the cases where I would want that, I would
need a fork/join type capability to avoid a separate process anyway.

Interesting... especially since XST figures it out correctly with
variables. FYI, I just checked it with Synplify, and it works
correctly regardless of the order of signal assignments in the
procedure.

Andy

Mike Treseler

Andy wrote:

> I just wish there was a way to synthesize procedures that span clock
> cycles, rather than having to pass inout args for intermediate outputs/
> registers.

I assume you are ruling out procedures declared
or overloaded in process scope.

These synthesize just fine for any register structure declared
in the same process.

-- Mike Treseler

Source of term "multiplication" in matrix multiplication William Hughes C Programming 13 03-15-2010 02:04 PM
Re: Signed multiplication revisited KJ VHDL 0 09-11-2008 11:39 AM
signed multiplication priya VHDL 2 11-17-2006 08:04 AM
Help to get a copy of A. D. Booth, "A signed binary multiplication technique," Weng Tianxiang VHDL 4 04-07-2005 04:10 PM
32x32 and 64x64 signed integer multiplication Christopher Dyken C Programming 18 02-24-2004 09:05 AM

Advertisments