Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > will antenna increase speed?

Reply
Thread Tools

will antenna increase speed?

 
 
JS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2008
Greetings all,

I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
getting a strong signal. Will it help?
Thanks,
JS

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paulo Maia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2008
No! unhappily the antena just goes amply the area of your transmition,
nothing elso more, if you want amply your transmition area you need an
directional antena w/ apmlifiers of signal.
Ok!

Paulo M. Oliveira


"JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings all,
>
> I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
> external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
> getting a strong signal. Will it help?
> Thanks,
> JS


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Big_Al
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2008
Paulo Maia wrote:
> No! unhappily the antena just goes amply the area of your transmition,
> nothing elso more, if you want amply your transmition area you need an
> directional antena w/ apmlifiers of signal.
> Ok!
>
> Paulo M. Oliveira
>
>
> "JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there
>> an external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area,
>> and not getting a strong signal. Will it help?
>> Thanks,
>> JS

>


You turned off spell checker didn't you!
 
Reply With Quote
 
smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2008
On Sep 10, 6:39*pm, "JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
> external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
> getting a strong signal. Will it help?
> Thanks,
> JS


Antenna does not increase the access speeds. You are describing some
type of Internet based of a cellphone connection (AT&T broadband sim
card) aren't you? To increase the access speed, find you closest AT&
broadcast tower (if AT&T does provide the location.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
JS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2008
smlunatick,
Yes, it is a cell number broadband sim card (AT&T). I have a feeling that
you are telling me that if the signal isn't very strong, I have to get
closer to the tower. right? Well, that isn't as practical as what I was
hoping for. I want to use this laptop at my hunt camp, and not have to drive
somewhere to work online. I appreciate your help. tho.
JS
"smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Sep 10, 6:39 pm, "JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
> external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
> getting a strong signal. Will it help?
> Thanks,
> JS


Antenna does not increase the access speeds. You are describing some
type of Internet based of a cellphone connection (AT&T broadband sim
card) aren't you? To increase the access speed, find you closest AT&
broadcast tower (if AT&T does provide the location.)

 
Reply With Quote
 
smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2008
On Sep 10, 9:07*pm, "JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> smlunatick,
> Yes, it is a cell number broadband sim card (AT&T). *I have a feeling that
> you are telling me that if the signal isn't very strong, I have to get
> closer to the tower. right? Well, that isn't as practical as what I was
> hoping for. I want to use this laptop at my hunt camp, and not have to drive
> somewhere to work online. I appreciate your help. tho.
> JS"smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sep 10, 6:39 pm, "JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Greetings all,

>
> > I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
> > external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
> > getting a strong signal. Will it help?
> > Thanks,
> > JS

>
> Antenna does not increase the access speeds. *You are describing *some
> type of Internet based of a cellphone connection (AT&T broadband sim
> card) aren't you? *To increase the access speed, find you closest AT&
> broadcast tower (if AT&T does provide the location.)


Unfortuneately, these "cell" broadband connection "modem" do not allow
the addition of external, enhanced antennas, unless they were designed
to accept one. You would have to "hack" it in order to add an antenna
on a "trial and error" base.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2008
Hi
The answer is Yes and No.
The Bandwidth of the Wireless connection is also dependent on the Signal
Strength.
If the bandwidth is very low as compare to what it has to be, an Antenna
that improves the reception would provide better bandwidth.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"JS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings all,
>
> I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
> external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
> getting a strong signal. Will it help?
> Thanks,
> JS


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which antenna best for panel antenna everyman Wireless Networking 7 01-05-2006 08:26 PM
Proxim ORiNOCO PC GOLD CARD with antenna problem??!! Guy Smith Wireless Networking 3 03-19-2005 12:15 PM
MN-700 Base Station - adding a signal booster or antenna =?Utf-8?B?RXZhbiBTdGV3YXJ0?= Wireless Networking 1 03-17-2005 10:30 PM
Hawking hi-gain antenna Hackworth Wireless Networking 1 01-11-2005 10:13 PM
Adding an Antenna Pigtail to a WiFi card Guy Smith Wireless Networking 0 12-31-2004 11:15 AM



Advertisments