Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to convert video file to DVD

How to convert video file to DVD

Flark

Hi folks,

I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
especially when I try to use Nero.

I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.

I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
that I deleted it right away.

Can someone recommend a good freeware program
for creating a real DVD?

I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
there was motion.

Thanks.

Dave S

Flark wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
> a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
> I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
> the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
> especially when I try to use Nero.
>
> I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
> Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.
>
> I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
> Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
> that I deleted it right away.
>
> Can someone recommend a good freeware program
> for creating a real DVD?
>
> I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
> I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
> there was motion.
>
> Thanks.

I use SuperC from http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html to convert to
720x480. That software is free.

Then I use either VideoReDoTVSuite or DVD-lab (neither one is free) to
create the menu and properly formated files.

Dave S.

Netmask

"Flark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
> a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
> I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
> the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
> especially when I try to use Nero.
>
> I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
> Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.
>
> I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
> Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
> that I deleted it right away.
>
> Can someone recommend a good freeware program
> for creating a real DVD?
>
> I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
> I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
> there was motion.
>
> Thanks.

If you are after a free program - first demux into video and audio streams
using MPEGStreamclip http://www.squared5.com/ then download
http://download.videohelp.com/liquid....pl?p=download

Another simple program that has always worked for me with good results is
VSO ConvertXtoDVD not free http://www.vso-software.fr/products.php

swordm

Total Video2Dvd can help you convert videos to dvd simply and
directly, work on
1. click "New project", add video files, than click "OK"
2. click "DVD menu", preview dvd menu
3. click "Output", click "Convert and Burn" start burn DVD.

a. easily convert avi or other popular video formats(such as youtube
flv, mpg, xvid, divx, mp4, 3gp, mkv, rm, rmvb, mov, wmv, ogm, ts etc.)
to dvd or ISO image file.
b. support srt, sub, ssa, ass, smi, psb, tex, idx subtitles
c. support dvd menu with background music, with a lot of templates
d. support download youtube and other video share website video, then
burn to dvd
e. support photo slideshow to dvd, more than 300 kinds of effects.
f. easy to use, only a few clicks,

you can download this program FREE:
http://www.effectmatrix.com/total_vi...thor/index.htm

Dave S

swordm wrote:
> Total Video2Dvd can help you convert videos to dvd simply and
> directly, work on
> 1. click "New project", add video files, than click "OK"
> 2. click "DVD menu", preview dvd menu
> 3. click "Output", click "Convert and Burn" start burn DVD.
>
> a. easily convert avi or other popular video formats(such as youtube
> flv, mpg, xvid, divx, mp4, 3gp, mkv, rm, rmvb, mov, wmv, ogm, ts etc.)
> to dvd or ISO image file.
> b. support srt, sub, ssa, ass, smi, psb, tex, idx subtitles
> c. support dvd menu with background music, with a lot of templates
> d. support download youtube and other video share website video, then
> burn to dvd
> e. support photo slideshow to dvd, more than 300 kinds of effects.
> f. easy to use, only a few clicks,
>
> you can download this program FREE:
> http://www.effectmatrix.com/total_vi...thor/index.htm

The program is NOT free. $39.95
There is a free trial.

Dave S.

Ringmaster

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:24:42 -0700 (PDT), Flark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
>a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
>I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
>the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
>especially when I try to use Nero.
>
>I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
>Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.
>
>I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
>Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
>that I deleted it right away.
>
>Can someone recommend a good freeware program
>for creating a real DVD?
>
>I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
>I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
>there was motion.
>
>Thanks.

You get what you PAY for. Get something REAL, like Sony's Vegas. Their
Movie Studio choices are excellent and based on their full blown
professional video editor by the same name. It will easily convert any
source file frame size to the correct one for DVD. The important
factor is the encoder that does most of the work. Free software either
uses junk or ripped off illegal decoders. Since a REAL MPEG-2
decoder/encoder requires a license to use legally, you won't get the
real thing free and the quality of the encoder is critical unless you
want crap for your output.

If you video extends beyond the borders of the TV screen you're
outside the "safe" area. Again decent software shows you a border so
you know you are out of bounds and makes it easy to resize while
keeping the correct aspect ratio. You're not missing anything in
Microsoft's DVD maker. Little more than a toy.

effectvdo@googlemail.com

I use Total video2dvd, it works well for me.

sandy58

On Sep 10, 4:40*am, Dave S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Flark wrote:
> > Hi folks,

> > I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
> > a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
> > I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
> > the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
> > especially when I try to use Nero.

> > I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
> > Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.

> > I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
> > Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
> > that I deleted it right away.

> > Can someone recommend a good freeware program
> > for creating a real DVD?

> > I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
> > I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
> > there was motion.

> > Thanks.

> I use SuperC fromhttp://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.htmlto convert to
> 720x480. That software is free.
>
> Then I use either VideoReDoTVSuite or DVD-lab (neither one is free) to
> create the menu and properly formated files.
>
> Dave S.

Is your e-mail address good, Dave S?

Dave S

sandy58 wrote:
> On Sep 10, 4:40 am, Dave S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Flark wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>> I have a video that is 640x480. You might think it would be
>>> a simple matter to convert that to a playable DVD but
>>> I am finding it is anything but. I keep finding that
>>> the video is stretched beyond the borders of the TV screen,
>>> especially when I try to use Nero.
>>> I have Windows XP so I do not have the new
>>> Windows DVD Maker or whatever it is.
>>> I briefly downloaded and tried using a demo of Adobe Premiere
>>> Elements but I was so disgusted with the logo on top of my video
>>> that I deleted it right away.
>>> Can someone recommend a good freeware program
>>> for creating a real DVD?
>>> I have tried HCEnc to encode the m2v file however
>>> I found the encoding quality was very poor whenever
>>> there was motion.
>>> Thanks.

>> I use SuperC fromhttp://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.htmlto convert to
>> 720x480. That software is free.
>>
>> Then I use either VideoReDoTVSuite or DVD-lab (neither one is free) to
>> create the menu and properly formated files.
>>
>> Dave S.

> Is your e-mail address good, Dave S?

I never post on USENET with my email address.

Remove the sequence 'bcd' and change 'not' to 'net'.

Dave S.