Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > 2 pc's, both w/internet access, cannot "share" w/ each other! help

2 pc's, both w/internet access, cannot "share" w/ each other! help

rdpiercer

Hi group, first time asking for technical help. I'm not an IT person but i'm
not an idiot either. Please be kind and do not flame me!
Anyway, I have 2 Dell 2350 desktops, main is running xp pro, 2nd xp
home, using a linksys wireless router. The main(mine) is wired to the router,
2nd(kids) is wireless w/ a netgear card. Connected to a cox high speed cable
modem. Both are pent 4, 1.8 gig etc, I can give more info if needed but for
this question I didn't think it necassary.
My problem is after running numerous times the network wizards both for
home network and wireless networks I still cannot communicate between the 2
machines. Both have internet acess, the wireless with excellent strength. I
know my IP addresses, wep settings, host, domain and computer names are all
correct. I can ping from mine to the kids, I cannot ping from the kids to
mine. I have enabled folder, file and printer shareing on both computers and
have tried disableing both firewalls. I have cycled the router and the modem
off/on many times, reset factory defaults to both items. Downloaded firmware
and drivers for everything! Trying to map the network from the kids machine
gives me a "does not have permission" error message, but this is the 1st.
time I have tried to set up a network and did not assign any password
protection.
I hope I have given all relevant information! Can anyone help?! I am going
to hang myself! lol

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Hi
Do not run the wizard any more, it would get worse, configure the Sharing
Manually.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"rdpiercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi group, first time asking for technical help. I'm not an IT person but
> i'm
> not an idiot either. Please be kind and do not flame me!
> Anyway, I have 2 Dell 2350 desktops, main is running xp pro, 2nd xp
> home, using a linksys wireless router. The main(mine) is wired to the
> router,
> 2nd(kids) is wireless w/ a netgear card. Connected to a cox high speed
> cable
> modem. Both are pent 4, 1.8 gig etc, I can give more info if needed but
> for
> this question I didn't think it necassary.
> My problem is after running numerous times the network wizards both for
> home network and wireless networks I still cannot communicate between the
> 2
> machines. Both have internet acess, the wireless with excellent strength.
> know my IP addresses, wep settings, host, domain and computer names are
> all
> correct. I can ping from mine to the kids, I cannot ping from the kids to
> mine. I have enabled folder, file and printer shareing on both computers
> and
> have tried disableing both firewalls. I have cycled the router and the
> modem
> off/on many times, reset factory defaults to both items. Downloaded
> firmware
> and drivers for everything! Trying to map the network from the kids
> machine
> gives me a "does not have permission" error message, but this is the 1st.
> time I have tried to set up a network and did not assign any password
> protection.
> I hope I have given all relevant information! Can anyone help?! I am
> going
> to hang myself! lol

Dennis

Hi. I just posted a question with a problem similar, though not quite the
same, as yours. Could you post your experience with the solution suggested or
if you got it to work some other way? Mine issue is driving me crazy as well.

Thanks.
=====================================

"rdpiercer" wrote:

> Hi group, first time asking for technical help. I'm not an IT person but i'm
> not an idiot either. Please be kind and do not flame me!
> Anyway, I have 2 Dell 2350 desktops, main is running xp pro, 2nd xp
> home, using a linksys wireless router. The main(mine) is wired to the router,
> 2nd(kids) is wireless w/ a netgear card. Connected to a cox high speed cable
> modem. Both are pent 4, 1.8 gig etc, I can give more info if needed but for
> this question I didn't think it necassary.
> My problem is after running numerous times the network wizards both for
> home network and wireless networks I still cannot communicate between the 2
> machines. Both have internet acess, the wireless with excellent strength. I
> know my IP addresses, wep settings, host, domain and computer names are all
> correct. I can ping from mine to the kids, I cannot ping from the kids to
> mine. I have enabled folder, file and printer shareing on both computers and
> have tried disableing both firewalls. I have cycled the router and the modem
> off/on many times, reset factory defaults to both items. Downloaded firmware
> and drivers for everything! Trying to map the network from the kids machine
> gives me a "does not have permission" error message, but this is the 1st.
> time I have tried to set up a network and did not assign any password
> protection.
> I hope I have given all relevant information! Can anyone help?! I am going
> to hang myself! lol

Chuck2000

make sure the work group names are the same, then try going to the shared
files folder on the second thru my network places