Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Strange happenings with an external drive

Strange happenings with an external drive

Tony in Oz

Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to crank
up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen either in
explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message when I
booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored from a
copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this error message
before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I rebooted, and
got the same error message. Did a system restore to yesterday, which was
successful, and no longer got the error message. However, still cannot see
the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes laptop, and it fired up,
auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so its got to be an issue on my
computer.
Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to see
if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove. Anyone got
any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but if someones
seen this before, a point in the right direction would be appreciated.
Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of settings, etc, was
working fine when I shut it down last night, and this morning it just isn't.
Thanks...

Tony in Oz

"Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ogjxk.35020$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
> contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
> crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen either
> in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message when
> I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored
> from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this error
> message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I
> rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system restore to
> yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error message.
> However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes
> laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so
> its got to be an issue on my computer.
> Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
> see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove. Anyone
> got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but if
> someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would be
> appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
> settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
> morning it just isn't. Thanks...

Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the problem,
and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange showing up
there. Cheers.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:20:13 GMT, Tony in Oz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:1jjxk.35022$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ogjxk.35020$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
>> contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
>> crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen either
>> in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message when
>> I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored
>> from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this error
>> message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I
>> rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system restore to
>> yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error message.
>> However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes
>> laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so
>> its got to be an issue on my computer.
>> Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
>> see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove. Anyone
>> got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but if
>> someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would be
>> appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
>> settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
>> morning it just isn't. Thanks...
>>

> Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the problem,
> and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange showing up
> there. Cheers.

Could the driver have gone titzup?

--
- Nic.

impossible

"Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1jjxk.35022$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ogjxk.35020$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
>> contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
>> crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen either
>> in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message when
>> I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored
>> from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this error
>> message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I
>> rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system restore to
>> yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error message.
>> However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes
>> laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so
>> its got to be an issue on my computer.
>> Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
>> see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove.
>> Anyone got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but
>> if someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would be
>> appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
>> settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
>> morning it just isn't. Thanks...
>>

> Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the
> problem, and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange
> showing up there. Cheers.

This sounds like a registry corruption issue with Explorer. The drive
clearly works, so try acessing it in a command window. Also, see if it's
there in Disk Manager (Adminstrative Tools). You don't mention the last time
you remember succesfully using the external drive in Windows, but I gather
it was **before** the time of the restore point you used, otherwise you
wouldn't be here. Do you have any older restore points to try?

Tony in Oz

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1jjxk.35022$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Ogjxk.35020$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
>>> contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
>>> crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen
>>> either in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual
>>> message when I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to
>>> be restored from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never
>>> seen this error message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my
>>> external drive, I rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system
>>> restore to yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error
>>> message. However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the
>>> wifes laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are
>>> fine, so its got to be an issue on my computer.
>>> Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
>>> see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove.
>>> Anyone got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it,
>>> but if someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would
>>> be appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
>>> settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
>>> morning it just isn't. Thanks...
>>>

>> Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the
>> problem, and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange
>> showing up there. Cheers.
>>

> This sounds like a registry corruption issue with Explorer. The drive
> clearly works, so try acessing it in a command window. Also, see if it's
> there in Disk Manager (Adminstrative Tools). You don't mention the last
> time you remember succesfully using the external drive in Windows, but I
> gather it was **before** the time of the restore point you used, otherwise
> you wouldn't be here. Do you have any older restore points to try?

I said in my original post it doesn't show up in disc manager. And yes
it was working fine last night about 10 pm, I was going through some photos.
I meant to say that in my OP, but it was implied, I think. I agree it does
sound like a registry issue, because of the error message which appeared at
the same time., and its to do with my USB 2 card. Being an older computer
(P4 with 796 MB RAM, and 1.8 GHz, built it myself in 2002, and just keep
adding stuff to it), I have a USB and firewire add on card. I changed PCI
slots, and the machine found it, and installed the drivers, as I thought it
may have come a bit loose in the slot. But its still not seeing the drive,
and its also not seeing my pen drive, and my printer, also plugged into it
is not working either. The next step maybe replacing the USB 2 card, but as
it all installed ok, I suspect its working. Reckon its worth trying another
restore point, even though the one I used was well within the time frame
where I last used it successfully? Cheers... Oh, BTW, I have got my drive
working in an old USB 1.1 port, but it really should be on USB2, it fires up
much quicker, so I need to get this working again... Cheers

Tony in Oz

"Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9yk20o9x2rg0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:20:13 GMT, Tony in Oz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <news:1jjxk.35022$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Ogjxk.35020$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
>>> contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
>>> crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen
>>> either
>>> in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message
>>> when
>>> I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored
>>> from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this
>>> error
>>> message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I
>>> rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system restore to
>>> yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error message.
>>> However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes
>>> laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so
>>> its got to be an issue on my computer.
>>> Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
>>> see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove.
>>> Anyone
>>> got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but if
>>> someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would be
>>> appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
>>> settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
>>> morning it just isn't. Thanks...
>>>

>> Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the
>> problem,
>> and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange showing
>> up
>> there. Cheers.

> Could the driver have gone titzup?
>
> --
> - Nic.

Drivers seem ok, Nic, and as I said in my next post (does that make
sense?) I have reinstalled the USB 2 card which seemed to go ok...

Tony in Oz

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> geoff wrote:
>> Tony in Oz wrote:
>>> Drivers seem ok, Nic, and as I said in my next post (does that
>>> make sense?) I have reinstalled the USB 2 card which seemed to go
>>> ok...

>> Do other USB devices show up when newly attached ?

No they don't. As I said before, my pen drive doesn't show up, but
does on the old USB 1.1 port. My printer also fails to print, initially
showing up under printers and faxes as offline, once I click it to online, a
test page fails to print. soon as I hook it into USB 1.1 away it goes...

>> If so, then it's likely a cable or interface/power/drive problem at
>> the drive end.
>>
>> geoff

> Oh yeah, and does the drive show on another computer ?
>
> g.

Yep, that was one of the first things I did, it worked fine on the
wife's laptop, using the same USB cable/ power supply. Is this what you
meant, or do you mean it might be a problem with the PCI slot for the USB
card (which I changed). This would indicate its a problem with the card, but
I suspect not, as it installed ok when I reinstalled it, and all is ok in
Device manager. I still reckon its a registry error, but not sure how to fix
it, I'm confident enough editing the registry, but not sure of the keys to
get into. Failing that a repair install might be the way to go, although a
little on the drastic side for my liking! Cheers

impossible

"Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gakxk.35027$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1jjxk.35022$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Ogjxk.35020$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the
>>> problem, and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing
>>> strange showing up there. Cheers.
>>>

>> This sounds like a registry corruption issue with Explorer. The drive
>> clearly works, so try acessing it in a command window. Also, see if it's
>> there in Disk Manager (Adminstrative Tools). You don't mention the last
>> time you remember succesfully using the external drive in Windows, but I
>> gather it was **before** the time of the restore point you used,
>> otherwise you wouldn't be here. Do you have any older restore points to
>> try?

> I said in my original post it doesn't show up in disc manager. And
> yes it was working fine last night about 10 pm, I was going through some
> photos. I meant to say that in my OP, but it was implied, I think. I agree
> it does sound like a registry issue, because of the error message which
> appeared at the same time., and its to do with my USB 2 card. Being an
> older computer (P4 with 796 MB RAM, and 1.8 GHz, built it myself in 2002,
> and just keep adding stuff to it), I have a USB and firewire add on card.
> I changed PCI slots, and the machine found it, and installed the drivers,
> as I thought it may have come a bit loose in the slot. But its still not
> seeing the drive, and its also not seeing my pen drive, and my printer,
> also plugged into it is not working either. The next step maybe replacing
> the USB 2 card, but as it all installed ok, I suspect its working. Reckon
> its worth trying another restore point, even though the one I used was
> well within the time frame where I last used it successfully? Cheers...
> Oh, BTW, I have got my drive working in an old USB 1.1 port, but it really
> should be on USB2, it fires up much quicker, so I need to get this working
> again... Cheers

You'll need to do a repair installation. Make sure you've slipstreamed SP3
onto a new installation disk before you start -- that will minimize the
updates.

Craig Shore

In article <gakxk.35027$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> I said in my original post it doesn't show up in disc manager. And yes
> it was working fine last night about 10 pm, I was going through some photos.
> I meant to say that in my OP, but it was implied, I think. I agree it does
> sound like a registry issue, because of the error message which appeared at
> the same time., and its to do with my USB 2 card. Being an older computer
> (P4 with 796 MB RAM, and 1.8 GHz, built it myself in 2002, and just keep
> adding stuff to it), I have a USB and firewire add on card. I changed PCI
> slots, and the machine found it, and installed the drivers, as I thought it

Is USB still enabled in your BIOS?

Gordon

On 2008-09-09, Tony in Oz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> geoff wrote:
>>>
>>> Do other USB devices show up when newly attached ?

> No they don't. As I said before, my pen drive doesn't show up, but
> does on the old USB 1.1 port. My printer also fails to print, initially
> showing up under printers and faxes as offline, once I click it to online, a
> test page fails to print. soon as I hook it into USB 1.1 away it goes...

Does this not suggest that the USB2 port is dead? Try another USB2 card
would be my next move, or put it in another PCI slot.