Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Account Password Policy

Account Password Policy

Hollywood0728

Ok, I must be drunk, but something weird is going on with my Account password
policy. After I reset a users password and select that they have to change
it, it prompts them that the password needs to be 8 characters long, no
repeats of last 24 passwords and must be 0 days old. I dont have it setup
that way?? The only thing I have set up on password policy is 8 characters
long, so that works. I have complexity disabled so it knows that. I have
max password age to 0 which means never expires and min to 1 day.....this is
all held at the Domain level. Now I do have my Computers in their own OU
with a GP enabled but the policy is the same. Anyone know where to start
looking for issues?

Wayne

From the gpmc run the Group Policy Results wizard and see what the Winning
GPO is. Refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc780305.aspx
for more detail.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz
MCNGP Silver

"Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I must be drunk, but something weird is going on with my Account
> password
> policy. After I reset a users password and select that they have to
> change
> it, it prompts them that the password needs to be 8 characters long, no
> repeats of last 24 passwords and must be 0 days old. I dont have it setup
> that way?? The only thing I have set up on password policy is 8
> characters
> long, so that works. I have complexity disabled so it knows that. I have
> max password age to 0 which means never expires and min to 1 day.....this
> is
> all held at the Domain level. Now I do have my Computers in their own OU
> with a GP enabled but the policy is the same. Anyone know where to start
> looking for issues?

catwalker63

"Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaselessly in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> From the gpmc run the Group Policy Results wizard and see what the
> Winning GPO is. Refer to
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc780305.aspx for more
> detail.
>
> Wayne McGlinn
> Brisbane, Oz
> MCNGP Silver
>
> "Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok, I must be drunk, but something weird is going on with my Account
>> password
>> policy. After I reset a users password and select that they have to
>> change
>> it, it prompts them that the password needs to be 8 characters long,
>> no repeats of last 24 passwords and must be 0 days old. I dont have
>> it setup that way?? The only thing I have set up on password policy
>> is 8 characters
>> long, so that works. I have complexity disabled so it knows that. I
>> have max password age to 0 which means never expires and min to 1
>> day.....this is
>> all held at the Domain level. Now I do have my Computers in their
>> own OU with a GP enabled but the policy is the same. Anyone know
>> where to start looking for issues?

FYI: The password policy can only be set on the domain level in a domain
so only policies that are defined at this level will aply and the last
one that applies, wins.

--
Catwalker
MCNGP #43

Hollywood0728

But what if the OU blocks inheritance? Could that cause a problem?

"catwalker63" wrote:

> "Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaselessly in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > From the gpmc run the Group Policy Results wizard and see what the
> > Winning GPO is. Refer to
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc780305.aspx for more
> > detail.
> >
> > Wayne McGlinn
> > Brisbane, Oz
> > MCNGP Silver
> >
> > "Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Ok, I must be drunk, but something weird is going on with my Account
> >> password
> >> policy. After I reset a users password and select that they have to
> >> change
> >> it, it prompts them that the password needs to be 8 characters long,
> >> no repeats of last 24 passwords and must be 0 days old. I dont have
> >> it setup that way?? The only thing I have set up on password policy
> >> is 8 characters
> >> long, so that works. I have complexity disabled so it knows that. I
> >> have max password age to 0 which means never expires and min to 1
> >> day.....this is
> >> all held at the Domain level. Now I do have my Computers in their
> >> own OU with a GP enabled but the policy is the same. Anyone know
> >> where to start looking for issues?

> FYI: The password policy can only be set on the domain level in a domain
> so only policies that are defined at this level will aply and the last
> one that applies, wins.
>
> --
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com

catwalker63

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled
ceaselessly in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> But what if the OU blocks inheritance? Could that cause a problem?
>
> "catwalker63" wrote:
>
>> "Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaselessly in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > From the gpmc run the Group Policy Results wizard and see what the
>> > Winning GPO is. Refer to
>> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc780305.aspx for more
>> > detail.
>> >
>> > Wayne McGlinn
>> > Brisbane, Oz
>> > MCNGP Silver
>> >
>> > "Hollywood0728" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >

>> FYI: The password policy can only be set on the domain level in a
>> domain so only policies that are defined at this level will aply and
>> the last one that applies, wins.

Password Policy can't be blocked. The OU has absolutely not power over
Password Policy in any way, shape, or form.

--
Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"Definitely not wearing any underwear."

Hollywood0728

So what if you remove the GPO from the domain level? Where does the domain
get its instructions from at that point?

"catwalker63" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled
> ceaselessly in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > But what if the OU blocks inheritance? Could that cause a problem?
> >
> > "catwalker63" wrote:
> >
> >> "Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaselessly in
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed):

> >> FYI: The password policy can only be set on the domain level in a
> >> domain so only policies that are defined at this level will aply and
> >> the last one that applies, wins.
> >>

> Password Policy can't be blocked. The OU has absolutely not power over
> Password Policy in any way, shape, or form.
>
> --
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com

catwalker63

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHl3b29kMDcyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled
ceaselessly in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> So what if you remove the GPO from the domain level? Where does the
> domain get its instructions from at that point?

<snip>

Then you have no policy defined for Password Policy.

--
Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com