Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can one measure colour temperature with the Nikon D3?

Can one measure colour temperature with the Nikon D3?

Dave

Is it possible to get a numerical value for the colour temperature on a
D3? I know it's possible to photograph a gray card and use that to get
the colour temperature stored in d-0, but can one see what that value is
- i.e. how many Kelvin?

If it is, please share the secret.

dave

Dave

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to get a numerical value for the colour temperature on
>> a D3? I know it's possible to photograph a gray card and use that to
>> get the colour temperature stored in d-0, but can one see what that
>> value is - i.e. how many Kelvin?
>>
>> If it is, please share the secret.

> Don't think so. I spent about five minutes looking for the same thing when
> I got my D3. I guess it's really not important?
>

> Rita

Strange we both wanted to find it though. I can't believe it would be
anything but trivual to implement when a new firmware release is made. I
might ask Nikon if they have any plans for it.

dave

John Smith

You mean to tell me that my Spot Meter in my D3 is useless when shooting
RAW? I haven't found that to be the case at all...

"Floyd L. Davidson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> If you shoot RAW it is a waste to use anything other
> than AUTO for WB. With AUTO you get the data for
> whatever the camera calculated it to be, with anything
> else that data is discarded, and the data for whatever
> you set is kept as the Exif data instead. Of course
> with RAW it isn't used at all by the camera, and your
> RAW converter can use any of the presets regardless of
> what the camera was set to, except it can't use the
> camera's idea of AUTO WB unless that data is saved via
> setting it to AUTO.

Paul Furman

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> You mean to tell me that my Spot Meter in my D3 is useless when shooting
>> RAW? I haven't found that to be the case at all...

> The spot meter has nothing to do with White Balance,
> AUTO or otherwise.
>
> Spot metering is one of the modes for measuring light *intensity*.
>
> White Balance is for measuring light *color* *temperature*.
>
> Vastly difference tools...
>
>> "Floyd L. Davidson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If you shoot RAW it is a waste to use anything other
>>> than AUTO for WB. With AUTO you get the data for
>>> whatever the camera calculated it to be, with anything
>>> else that data is discarded, and the data for whatever
>>> you set is kept as the Exif data instead. Of course
>>> with RAW it isn't used at all by the camera, and your
>>> RAW converter can use any of the presets regardless of
>>> what the camera was set to, except it can't use the
>>> camera's idea of AUTO WB unless that data is saved via
>>> setting it to AUTO.

It is true that Nikon's auto WB on the D200 & D700 is a lot better than
Photoshop CS1's auto WB in my experience.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

John Smith

Oops, my mistake. I misread your post. My apologies.