Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: VoIP<->PSTN

Re: VoIP<->PSTN

Graham.

"Chris Dent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:001601c90f4c$0aefab20$0300a8c0@LOUNGEDESKTOP. ..
> Hi Group.
>
> I am a first-time poster and joined the group a couple of weeks ago,
> primarily because I am keen to gain a good 'executive' understanding of
> the technologies of the modern telecoms market.
>
> Can anyone please explain how VoIP interracts with the fixed-line
> telephone network? I mean, do VoIP providers need a presence at an
> exchange? How does the call get from the PSTN to the internet and vice
> versa? If I have a geographic number with a VoIP provider do people get
> local rate calls to me from the same area code? If so, do I have to
> pay?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Hi Chris,
I am not at all sure I know what an executive understanding is.

I couldn't write a thesis on VoIP, but I can set up SIP phones
ATA's and VoIP PABX's (Asterisk) to do some pretty
cool stuff...
....but if I'm honest, I don't know how it all really works!

Its like IT in general, first you do the practical then, if you're
curious, you study the theory.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%