Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wizard disk creation problems

Wizard disk creation problems

=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGhlcmVlbg==?=

I'm setting up a wireless network for the first time and have run into a
problem. I just got a new Dell laptop that unfortunatley doesn't have a
floppy drive. It also had Windows XP preloaded. When I get to the part of
the Network Setup Wizard where it says that to set up other computers with
Windows 98 SE on them, I have to either create a Wizard Disk or insert a
Windows XP disk in order to do this, I'm screwed!!! Is there any way to
create this Wizard Disk and burn to a CD, or could someone e-mail the files
from a Wizard Disk they've created so that I can run this on my Windows 98
machine so I can share files and printers? I have the network set up and can
access the internet on the laptop, I just can't get to any of the files on
the old machine. HELP!! E-mail is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). THANKS!!!

Rob D

"Smithereen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm setting up a wireless network for the first time and have run into a
> problem. I just got a new Dell laptop that unfortunatley doesn't have a
> floppy drive. It also had Windows XP preloaded. When I get to the part
> of
> the Network Setup Wizard where it says that to set up other computers with
> Windows 98 SE on them, I have to either create a Wizard Disk or insert a
> Windows XP disk in order to do this, I'm screwed!!! Is there any way to
> create this Wizard Disk and burn to a CD, or could someone e-mail the
> files
> from a Wizard Disk they've created so that I can run this on my Windows 98
> machine so I can share files and printers? I have the network set up and
> can
> access the internet on the laptop, I just can't get to any of the files on
> the old machine. HELP!! E-mail is (E-Mail Removed). THANKS!!!

Bit confused about which machine is which from your post, but could you not
just insert a USB flash disk?

Rob

=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGhlcmVlbg==?=

hey Rob,

You would think it would be that simple, but unfortunately, it will only
allow you to create the Wizard Disk onto a floppy. It won't recognize my
flash drive or my CD-RW drive for this purpose. Thanks for trying!

KS

"Rob D" wrote:

> "Smithereen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm setting up a wireless network for the first time and have run into a
> > problem. I just got a new Dell laptop that unfortunatley doesn't have a
> > floppy drive. It also had Windows XP preloaded. When I get to the part
> > of
> > the Network Setup Wizard where it says that to set up other computers with
> > Windows 98 SE on them, I have to either create a Wizard Disk or insert a
> > Windows XP disk in order to do this, I'm screwed!!! Is there any way to
> > create this Wizard Disk and burn to a CD, or could someone e-mail the
> > files
> > from a Wizard Disk they've created so that I can run this on my Windows 98
> > machine so I can share files and printers? I have the network set up and
> > can
> > access the internet on the laptop, I just can't get to any of the files on
> > the old machine. HELP!! E-mail is (E-Mail Removed). THANKS!!!

> Bit confused about which machine is which from your post, but could you not
> just insert a USB flash disk?
>
> Rob

Michael

"Smithereen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm setting up a wireless network for the first time and have run into a
> problem. I just got a new Dell laptop that unfortunatley doesn't have a
> floppy drive. It also had Windows XP preloaded. When I get to the part
> of
> the Network Setup Wizard where it says that to set up other computers with
> Windows 98 SE on them, I have to either create a Wizard Disk or insert a
> Windows XP disk in order to do this, I'm screwed!!! Is there any way to
> create this Wizard Disk and burn to a CD, or could someone e-mail the
> files
> from a Wizard Disk they've created so that I can run this on my Windows 98
> machine so I can share files and printers? I have the network set up and
> can
> access the internet on the laptop, I just can't get to any of the files on
> the old machine. HELP!! E-mail is (E-Mail Removed). THANKS!!!

Have you tried just skipping that step? I've got a home network with 3
wireless machines (1 is W9 and did not bother with the wizard disk.

mike