Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Firefox and Bookmarks No help here..??

Re: Firefox and Bookmarks No help here..??

Enkidu

OZZY Boy wrote:

> One thing that I can never get to work is Bookmarks, I would like it
> to list in Alphabetical order and be able to move the one that I use
> near the top of the list, this I can't seem to do.

That's what Firefox does by default. You don't have to do anything. Add
a new bookmark and it puts it in order. Move it to the top and it stays
there. You must have fiddled with the options. Select "Preferences" and
select "Restore Defaults".

Cheers,

Cliff

--

"I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

Enkidu

OZZY Boy wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:59:48 +1200, Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> No, but I did a Google search, lots of questions about this, but
> found one that does it.
>
> Right click on Organize Bookmarks, you have a option to sort by
> name.
>
> The other problem that I had was that it Imported the Wrong Favorites
> folder, the only way I could fix that was a clean install.
>
> Even saving the IE Favorites as a HTML file only locked up Firefox
> when trying to import it..

Select "Preferences" and select "Restore Defaults".

That will solve all your problems.

You are reading the wrong Google references.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

OZZY Boy wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 23:20:59 +1200, Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OZZY Boy wrote:
>>> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:59:48 +1200, Enkidu
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, but I did a Google search, lots of questions about this,
>>> but found one that does it.
>>>
>>> Right click on Organize Bookmarks, you have a option to sort by
>>> name.
>>>
>>> The other problem that I had was that it Imported the Wrong
>>> Favorites folder, the only way I could fix that was a clean
>>> install.
>>>
>>> Even saving the IE Favorites as a HTML file only locked up
>>> Firefox when trying to import it..
>>>

>> Select "Preferences" and select "Restore Defaults".
>>
>> That will solve all your problems.
>>
>> You are reading the wrong Google references.

> You did state that I had changed some setting, well this problem
> happened on the 2 occasions that I installed Firefox and imported the
> Favorites from IE8 B2, I changed nothing at all Plus I don't even
> know any thing that you referred to as "Preferences" and can not
> find it..

Under the Edit menu.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

"I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:13:20 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
OZZY Boy wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:16:40 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >OZZY Boy wrote:

--snip--
> >> You did state that I had changed some setting, well this problem
> >> happened on the 2 occasions that I installed Firefox and imported the
> >> Favorites from IE8 B2, I changed nothing at all Plus I don't even
> >> know any thing that you referred to as "Preferences" and can not
> >> find it..
> >>

> >Under the Edit menu.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Cliff

> I am using Firefox 3.01 and that option is not listed under the Edit menu tab..

It is "Tools Options" on Firefox for Roger's OS.
It is "Edit Preferences" on Firefox for Cliff's OS.

Firefox follows the OS convention for the OS it is built for.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Jasen Betts

On 2008-09-06, OZZY Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am using Firefox 3.01 and that option is not listed under the Edit menu tab..

If all else fails. type about:config in the location bar and use search to
find the option you're looking for.

Bye.
Jasen

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:17:59 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
OZZY Boy wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:08:49 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:13:20 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >OZZY Boy wrote:

> >--snip--

> >> I am using Firefox 3.01 and that option is not listed under the Edit menu tab..
> >>

> >It is "Tools Options" on Firefox for Roger's OS.
> >It is "Edit Preferences" on Firefox for Cliff's OS.
> >
> >Firefox follows the OS convention for the OS it is built for.

> Under what Tab, as I just can't find it..

Well, "Tools Options Main" (on your OS) has a button "Restore to Default".
This same button would be at "Edit Preferences Main" on Cliff's OS.

Perhaps that is the "Restore Defaults" which Cliff was thinking of in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, but you would have to ask Cliff this.

Gordon

On 2008-09-06, Carnations <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:26:25 +1200, OZZY Boy wrote:
>
>>>Then you're just plain blind and/or stupid.
>>>
>>>If you're using Firefox on any Unix platform then the preferences are
>>>located under the Edit menu.
>>>
>>>If you're using Firefox on any Micro$oft platform, then the "options"
>>>are located under the "tools" menu.

>> Yes But Not preferences

> To you, Woger, and all other persons using Firefox on a Micro$oft
> platform, "preferences" are known as "options" and are located in a
> "tools" menu.
>
> To everybody else, preferences are known as "preferences" and are located
> in the Edit menu because generally that is where people would be looking
> if they wanted to edit their preferences.
>
> Duh!

This point really has me lost. Why did Firefox go bi on this issue? On all
other things, when using it I actually ignore the platform it is running on,
for it looks and acts the same.

Enkidu

Carnations wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:26:25 +1200, OZZY Boy wrote:
>
>>> Then you're just plain blind and/or stupid.
>>>
>>> If you're using Firefox on any Unix platform then the preferences
>>> are located under the Edit menu.
>>>
>>> If you're using Firefox on any Micro$oft platform, then the
>>> "options" are located under the "tools" menu.

>> Yes But Not preferences

> To you, Woger, and all other persons using Firefox on a Micro$oft
> platform, "preferences" are known as "options" and are located in a
> "tools" menu.
>
> To everybody else, preferences are known as "preferences" and are
> located in the Edit menu because generally that is where people would
> be looking if they wanted to edit their preferences.

He's probably using a bootleg copy from somewhere or a beta version,
Lennier,

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:17:59 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> OZZY Boy wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:08:49 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> --snip--

>>> It is "Tools Options" on Firefox for Roger's OS.
>>> It is "Edit Preferences" on Firefox for Cliff's OS.
>>>
>>> Firefox follows the OS convention for the OS it is built for.

>> Under what Tab, as I just can't find it..

> Well, "Tools Options Main" (on your OS) has a button "Restore to Default".
> This same button would be at "Edit Preferences Main" on Cliff's OS.
>
> Perhaps that is the "Restore Defaults" which Cliff was thinking of in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, but you would have to ask Cliff this.

That just sets the Home Page default. There doesn't seem to be a button
to reset *all* defaults.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

"I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.

Sam

OZZY Boy wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:17:09 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Ralph Fox wrote:

>>> Well, "Tools Options Main" (on your OS) has a button "Restore to Default".
>>> This same button would be at "Edit Preferences Main" on Cliff's OS.
>>>
>>> Perhaps that is the "Restore Defaults" which Cliff was thinking of in message
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>, but you would have to ask Cliff this.
>>>

>> That just sets the Home Page default. There doesn't seem to be a button
>> to reset *all* defaults.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff

> Thats what I found

FFS how hard is it google 'reset firefox preferences'?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Resetting_preferences